FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Broken Top +1

OregonSun
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Broken Top +1

Got out to the eastern side of the Cascades last weekend and caught some wildflowers. These two are of the south eastern flank of Broken Top. The area around there is awesome to explore, but is unfortunately somewhat overrun by Californians from Bend The second and third are panoramas. Feedback always welcome.

Heron

Edited on Aug 19, 2016 at 11:46 AM · View previous versions

Aug 17, 2016 at 07:13 PM
DaleBerlin
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Broken Top +1

Nice shots Heron. I like the flowers better in #1, but the sky and light in #2 make it stand out to me.

Aug 17, 2016 at 08:05 PM
Brev00
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Broken Top +1

Very nice shots of the appealing scene. I feel the opposite of Dale, liking the nubby texture of all the tiny yellow flowers in #2. The sky blues seem a bit desaturated in both shots which can happen when globally reducing exposure in post or reducing exposure at the time of capture to hold the highlights. Or using a polarizer. Or they are spot on. Interesting that the panorama is the same aspect ratio as the single image. A more panoramic view might be nice to see.

Aug 17, 2016 at 09:25 PM
OregonSun
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Broken Top +1

DaleBerlin wrote:
Nice shots Heron. I like the flowers better in #1, but the sky and light in #2 make it stand out to me.

Thanks Dale, appreciate the comment and feedback.
---------------------------------------------

Brev00 wrote:
Very nice shots of the appealing scene. I feel the opposite of Dale, liking the nubby texture of all the tiny yellow flowers in #2. The sky blues seem a bit desaturated in both shots which can happen when globally reducing exposure in post or reducing exposure at the time of capture to hold the highlights. Or using a polarizer. Or they are spot on. Interesting that the panorama is the same aspect ratio as the single image. A more panoramic view might be nice to see.

Thank you for the feedback. You're seeing the effect of the polarizer on the blues, it was actually much brighter and less saturated in real life. I did even out the sky a little in post on the panoramas. I often use my 24mm to create normal aspect ratio panoramas. I like how it gives a wider field of view with less perspective distortion than using a wider focal length would. I added a wider view above as requested.

Heron

Aug 18, 2016 at 07:39 PM
psharvic
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Broken Top +1

Nice work on these, Heron. I like the "I'm there" feeling I get with the 1st.

Aug 19, 2016 at 08:43 AM
Brev00
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Broken Top +1

Thanks for adding the third! I really like it. There is a symmetrical, semi-circular flow to the mountains and clouds that makes the image feel whole to me. Complete.

I bought a cpl a few years ago, used it several times in different scenarios but never liked the effect. Found myself trying to undo the shift in color. So, it sits in a case. I am often motivated to try to recreate the actual blues which can be tricky enough without a filter. But, I like the sky in #3. It blends in to the overall scene nicely.

Aug 19, 2016 at 09:02 AM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Broken Top +1

Heron, Very nice.
The 3rd one is my favorite

Dan

Aug 20, 2016 at 05:03 PM
OregonSun
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Broken Top +1

psharvic wrote:
Nice work on these, Heron. I like the "I'm there" feeling I get with the 1st.

Thanks for the comment and the pick, always appreciated.

Brev00 wrote:
Thanks for adding the third! I really like it. There is a symmetrical, semi-circular flow to the mountains and clouds that makes the image feel whole to me. Complete.

I bought a cpl a few years ago, used it several times in different scenarios but never liked the effect. Found myself trying to undo the shift in color. So, it sits in a case. I am often motivated to try to recreate the actual blues which can be tricky enough without a filter. But, I like the sky in #3. It blends in to the overall scene nicely.

I'm glad you like the third and thanks for elucidating your reasons.

dswiger wrote:
Heron, Very nice.
The 3rd one is my favorite

Dan

Thank you Dan. Funny that I didn't post #3 originally because I thought the wider view didn't have as much impact as the first two shots. Always interesting to get other people's feedback.

Heron

Aug 22, 2016 at 06:15 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.