Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3       end
  

In-Stock: Samyang AF 14mm f/2.8 FE for $849
  
 
pizdets17
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · In-Stock: Samyang AF 14mm f/2.8 FE for $849


Didn't know Sigma ART had a 14. Only other 14 AF on market worth anything is Canon's $2k+ offering

alexdi wrote:
Sigma Art pricing. They might justify this in a few years, but not current state. Expensive lenses need a support and service network. Do they have one?





Aug 23, 2016 at 09:57 PM
DavidBM
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · In-Stock: Samyang AF 14mm f/2.8 FE for $849


alexdi wrote:
Sigma Art pricing. They might justify this in a few years, but not current state. Expensive lenses need a support and service network. Do they have one?


Same price as the Sigma Art lenses with much longer focal lengths; release prices of 14mm lenses are typically at least 50% more than release prices of 35s or 50s. More like double.

And the Sigma Art lenses weren't released at a cheap price and then increased. People bought them because they were good, and that gave a huge boost to Sigmas rep, which before was for inexpensive lenses often with interesting specs but average quality (with a few exceptions) and poor QC.

So Samyang want to play in that field. If anything I worry the price is too low for the QC to be as good as it needs to be for me to take a risk on Samyang - their designs are great, but the variance is high. I know high price does not guarantee good QC, but low price AND complex design pretty much does guarantee poor QC.



Aug 27, 2016 at 11:37 AM
pizdets17
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · In-Stock: Samyang AF 14mm f/2.8 FE for $849


Well not sure about this statement. Korea is the only place I know that can sell you something on ebay for $15 and Fedex it to your house included in price in 3 days lol. Those guys manipulate their currency so much that 849 some days can be $1849 there

DavidBM wrote:
Same price as the Sigma Art lenses with much longer focal lengths; release prices of 14mm lenses are typically at least 50% more than release prices of 35s or 50s. More like double.

And the Sigma Art lenses weren't released at a cheap price and then increased. People bought them because they were good, and that gave a huge boost to Sigmas rep, which before was for inexpensive lenses often with interesting specs but average quality (with a few exceptions) and poor QC.

So Samyang want to play in that field. If anything I worry the price is too low for the
...Show more




Aug 27, 2016 at 07:56 PM
Dustin Gent
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · In-Stock: Samyang AF 14mm f/2.8 FE for $849


I wonder how this compares to the MF version? Optics seem to be improved?


Sep 03, 2016 at 01:07 AM
DavidBM
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · In-Stock: Samyang AF 14mm f/2.8 FE for $849


Dustin Gent wrote:
I wonder how this compares to the MF version? Optics seem to be improved?


Optics are certainly entirely different: it makes use of the shorter flange distance to completely redesign it (you can't just "tweak" a design when you move lots of elements back).

Whether it's an improvement on the old design remains to be seen, but it's likely...



Sep 03, 2016 at 01:35 AM
johnctharp
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · In-Stock: Samyang AF 14mm f/2.8 FE for $849


DavidBM wrote:
Optics are certainly entirely different: it makes use of the shorter flange distance to completely redesign it (you can't just "tweak" a design when you move lots of elements back).

Whether it's an improvement on the old design remains to be seen, but it's likely...


Yup. Here's hoping that it's an all-around improvement; while better distortion control would certainly be welcome, many are more than willing to deal with that in post to gain the base acuity and lack of coma shooting wide-open, and it's rare for a fast, wide lens to be low in coma at its widest apertures!



Sep 03, 2016 at 05:02 AM
joelRichards
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · In-Stock: Samyang AF 14mm f/2.8 FE for $849


The basic layout of the groups looks very similar but the elements themselves look very different. So my guess is it is an iterative design and the size is not accidental. It is a retro focus lens that just doesn't have to clear a mirror box. Not as optimized as the Batis or Loxia designs.

My predictions are same great coma performance with less distortion but comparable sharpness. I doubt it will be a fast focusing lensówell not terrible because there less range that wide. I also doubt they will eliminate the distortion but I'd love to be wrong!



Sep 07, 2016 at 01:14 AM
Chris_88
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · In-Stock: Samyang AF 14mm f/2.8 FE for $849


Fred Miranda wrote:
  • Autofocus with Manual Focus Override


    Do we know whether this means a hard infinity stop (given the price, let's hope for better QC and factory adjustments than with the MF version) and no focus-by-wire? For astrophotography, I very much prefer a hard infinity stop (ideally one that is indeed close to the infinity mark).



  • Sep 09, 2016 at 11:59 AM
    bjornthun
    Offline
    • • •
    Upload & Sell: Off
    p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · In-Stock: Samyang AF 14mm f/2.8 FE for $849


    Chris_88 wrote:
    Do we know whether this means a hard infinity stop (given the price, let's hope for better QC and factory adjustments than with the MF version) and no focus-by-wire? For astrophotography, I very much prefer a hard infinity stop (ideally one that is indeed close to the infinity mark).


    I think it means focus by wire. We will need to have the lens in hand to assess how focus by wire is implemented in that specific lens, so the jury is still out.

    I've seen different both very good and less good implementations of focus by wire. The humble Sony 50/1.8 FE actually has a very good implementation of focus by wire, while the Sony 55/1.8 ZA has a less good focus by wire implementation.



    Sep 09, 2016 at 12:11 PM
    Chris_88
    Offline
    • • •
    Upload & Sell: Off
    p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · In-Stock: Samyang AF 14mm f/2.8 FE for $849


    bjornthun wrote:
    I think it means focus by wire. We will need to have the lens in hand to assess how focus by wire is implemented in that specific lens, so the jury is still out.

    I've seen different both very good and less good implementations of focus by wire. The humble Sony 50/1.8 FE actually has a very good implementation of focus by wire, while the Sony 55/1.8 ZA has a less good focus by wire implementation.


    True, the focus by wire implementation on the 55 1.8 is not that great. For astro, I still prefer an ideally precise hard infinity stop. The Loxia 21 is great in that respect.

    I really would like to see to what extent Zeiss could shrink the 15 2.8 zf/ze for e-mount (or optimize the zm version). It would be even more expensive than the 21 2.8 no doubt, but I'd sell a lot of glass to finance that lens, if the powers that are in Oberkochen decided to develop such a wider brother of the Loxia 21.



    Sep 09, 2016 at 03:05 PM
     

    Search in Used Dept. 



    bjornthun
    Offline
    • • •
    Upload & Sell: Off
    p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · In-Stock: Samyang AF 14mm f/2.8 FE for $849


    Chris_88 wrote:
    True, the focus by wire implementation on the 55 1.8 is not that great. For astro, I still prefer an ideally precise hard infinity stop. The Loxia 21 is great in that respect.

    I really would like to see to what extent Zeiss could shrink the 15 2.8 zf/ze for e-mount (or optimize the zm version). It would be even more expensive than the 21 2.8 no doubt, but I'd sell a lot of glass to finance that lens, if the powers that are in Oberkochen decided to develop such a wider brother of the Loxia 21.


    A hard stop needs to be calibrated. If it's not, I find it easier to find infinity with a focus by wire lens, since they have (usually) have a more generous focus throw. AF lenses with a clutch are horrible for manual focus. The Loxia 21/2.8 has a short focus throw, in my opinion, and RF wide angles are much better in that respect. I'mmsurprised that Zeiss opted for the short focus throw of DSLR wides rather than the more generous, longer focus theow of RF wides, when they designed the Loxia 21/2.8. That was a real bummer, in my opinion.



    Sep 09, 2016 at 04:45 PM
    Fred Miranda
    Offline
    Admin
    Upload & Sell: On
    p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · In-Stock: Samyang AF 14mm f/2.8 FE for $849


    Update:

    The new Samyang (Rokinon) AF 14mm f/2.8 FE Lens for Sony E-mount is now in stock at B&H Photo.

    Rokinon AF 14mm f/2.8 FE Lens for Sony E at B&H Photo ($849)



    Oct 14, 2016 at 07:31 PM
    seanj
    Offline
    • •
    Upload & Sell: On
    p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · In-Stock: Samyang AF 14mm f/2.8 FE for $849


    I really liked the Voigtlander 15 in Emount when I rented one. The size was awesome. But I wanted at least another stop of light for handheld night scenes and that's where the Voigtlander fell short. I don't like going bigger, but that's what it takes to get for f/2.8, so I'll probably rent the Rokinon 14 to see how it performs. Rokinon caught my attention with their 135/2, which quickly became my favorite lens. I'd prefer AF for the 135 than for the 14, but I like AF enough to even desire it for some of the shots I'll take with the 14.


    Oct 15, 2016 at 02:54 PM
    MeDaniel
    Offline

    Upload & Sell: Off
    p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · In-Stock: Samyang AF 14mm f/2.8 FE for $849


    anyone have sample this lens yet?


    Oct 21, 2016 at 03:09 AM
    DavidBM
    Online
    • • • •
    Upload & Sell: On
    p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · In-Stock: Samyang AF 14mm f/2.8 FE for $849


    MeDaniel wrote:
    anyone have sample this lens yet?


    There's a review at Photodo.

    http://www.photodo.com/topic_1306.html

    Looks impressive. I wonder how the sample variation will compare to the MF version that was appalling in that respect.



    Oct 21, 2016 at 06:04 AM
    pizdets17
    Offline
    • • •
    Upload & Sell: On
    p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · In-Stock: Samyang AF 14mm f/2.8 FE for $849


    I see moustache in that brick shot..


    Oct 21, 2016 at 09:46 PM
    Schlotkins
    Offline
    • • • •
    Upload & Sell: On
    p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · In-Stock: Samyang AF 14mm f/2.8 FE for $849


    Sharpness looks pretty good! I wonder what vignetting looks like. It's pretty horrible on the mf version.


    Oct 21, 2016 at 09:52 PM
    DavidBM
    Online
    • • • •
    Upload & Sell: On
    p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · In-Stock: Samyang AF 14mm f/2.8 FE for $849


    I think horrible vignetting is going to be par for the course at this Fl: the distagon 15 is as bad.

    I'm waiting to see the Laowa f2 before buying back into this fl. It's a similar weight, and the extra speed is worth lack of AF and EXIF if it's as good or better at shared apertures.

    If it's clear the QC clusterf*ck is over for the CV then that'll be in the mix too. I recently sold my MF Samyang 14. I had a great EF mount version I should never have sold, but I wanted native mount (stupid on Samyang I know since it's just a tube but it was before TAP made it super stupid) but never found a really good one (1st terrible, second catastrophic, third OK)



    Oct 21, 2016 at 10:18 PM
    Fred Miranda
    Offline
    Admin
    Upload & Sell: On
    p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · In-Stock: Samyang AF 14mm f/2.8 FE for $849


    The results are very unusual. (http://www.photodo.com/topic_1306.html)

    According to their graph, the lens is sharper in the center at f/11 and almost as sharp at f/16!!
    I have a hard time believing these results as diffraction would prevent this from happening...







    Oct 22, 2016 at 02:50 AM
    DavidBM
    Online
    • • • •
    Upload & Sell: On
    p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · In-Stock: Samyang AF 14mm f/2.8 FE for $849


    Fred Miranda wrote:
    The results are very unusual. (http://www.photodo.com/topic_1306.html)

    According to their graph, the lens is sharper in the center at f/11 and almost as sharp at f/16!!
    I have a hard time believing these results as diffraction would prevent this from happening...


    Hmm good point!
    Comparing their review of the Samyang with the wider Laowa 12, the Samyang is performing about the same at f 11 as the Laowa: but the Laowa (despite being wider) exhibits a more normal behaviour and is even better at 5.6 and 8.

    Maybe some kind of aberration is taking the edge off the Samyang before f11? Kind of unimpressive if so.

    Or their measurements were messed up (which is forgivable, except as you point out, these measurements should have been re-checked to pass the plausibility test)




    Oct 22, 2016 at 03:57 AM
    1      
    2
           3       end






    FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    1      
    2
           3       end
        
     

    You are not logged in. Login or Register

    Username     Reset password