Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Who's Shooting Weddings w/Nikon D500?

LivLif
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Who's Shooting Weddings w/Nikon D500?

BSPhotog wrote:
I'd love some images in this thread :-D

Not sure that would accomplish anything at web-resolution. Would probably be better to get ahold of a couple raw files so you could play with them in LR/PS.

Aug 18, 2016 at 10:52 AM
MRomine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Who's Shooting Weddings w/Nikon D500?

LivLif wrote:
Multiple memory cards never bothered me.

Using them doesn't bother me and like you I used them in the same fashion in my camera bodies but it's a waste of money to have to buy two different card formats. Especially since the XQD cards are significantly more expensive when compared to the same size SD card.

But that new focus system on the D500/D5 is compelling.

Aug 18, 2016 at 10:58 AM
mb126
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Who's Shooting Weddings w/Nikon D500?

If you do any mix of action/sports/wildlife in addition to your wedding work, this seems like a total no brainer in Nikkor land. The 7D2 is not as compelling to me for some reason.

Aug 18, 2016 at 11:09 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Who's Shooting Weddings w/Nikon D500?

mb126 wrote:
The 7D2 is not as compelling to me for some reason.

2016 v 2014 ?

Aug 18, 2016 at 12:14 PM
LivLif
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Who's Shooting Weddings w/Nikon D500?

MRomine wrote:
Using them doesn't bother me and like you I used them in the same fashion in my camera bodies but it's a waste of money to have to buy two different card formats. Especially since the XQD cards are significantly more expensive when compared to the same size SD card.

But that new focus system on the D500/D5 is compelling.

Hey aren't more expensive if you buy the high quality and hi speed cards.

64gb Lexar XQD (440mb/s) - $100
64gb Sandisk UHSll (260mb/s) - $98

You can't compare XQD to cheap memory cards. They are the fastest cards on the market so you have to compare apples with apples.

Aug 18, 2016 at 04:54 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Who's Shooting Weddings w/Nikon D500?

LivLif wrote:

You can't compare XQD to cheap memory cards. They are the fastest cards on the market so you have to compare apples with apples.

I don't buy cheap cards, I buy Sandisk 64GB Extreme Pro cards 95 MB/s, the last ones I bought were $35.00. I don't need them to be 260 MB/s thats overkill for still shooting. So these are roughly 1/3 the price of Lexar/Sony XQD cards.

Aug 18, 2016 at 05:03 PM
LivLif
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Who's Shooting Weddings w/Nikon D500?

MRomine wrote:
I don't buy cheap cards, I buy Sandisk 64GB Extreme Pro cards 95 MB/s, the last ones I bought were $35.00. I don't need them to be 260 MB/s thats overkill for still shooting. So these are roughly 1/3 the price of Lexar/Sony XQD cards.

I hear you. Its just something to consider. If you ever do decide to invest in a couple XQD cards, the operating and download speeds are INSANE.

Aug 18, 2016 at 08:24 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Who's Shooting Weddings w/Nikon D500?

LivLif wrote:
I hear you. Its just something to consider. If you ever do decide to invest in a couple XQD cards, the operating and download speeds are INSANE.

I had a bunch of them when I had my D4 (all Sony brand) and bought many of them when they were expensive, $300+

When you think about it download speeds really are not super important in most cases becasue you CAN do other things on your machine while the files are transfering.

Aug 18, 2016 at 10:40 PM
LivLif
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Who's Shooting Weddings w/Nikon D500?

MRomine wrote:
I had a bunch of them when I had my D4 (all Sony brand) and bought many of them when they were expensive, $300+

When you think about it download speeds really are not super important in most cases becasue you CAN do other things on your machine while the files are transfering.

Cool. Please update this thread if you decide to try a D500.

Aug 18, 2016 at 11:09 PM
MrGubrz
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Who's Shooting Weddings w/Nikon D500?

Tested in dim store... It focused Noticeably faster in that dim store than my 5d3 in bright sunlight

I almost bought two with the two sigma 1.8 zooms and called it a day...

Aug 19, 2016 at 12:11 AM
leethecam
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Who's Shooting Weddings w/Nikon D500?

LivLif wrote:
Unless you have a need to change to the D500 id say stay with the D750. Multiple memory cards never bothered me. I currently shoot with two D4S. I bought 8 XQD and 8CF. I shot in backup mode so at the end of the day I just download the xqd. They are super fast. I never have to mess with the cf cards outside of formatting them for the next gig.

Multiple cards never bothered me - until I lost about 100 images from one card on a HUGE shoot.

But the 128GB SD backup which sits permanently in my camera saved the day.

My pro video camera (£400 for a single 32GB SxS card) doesn't record to multiple cards amazingly. I lost a single file on the card which was key to the whole day's shoot. No one sued, but I didn't get paid. Now I have a backup recorder on the camera to be sure.

Cards fail. Most likely when you need the files.

Backing up after the shoot - of course... but isn't it nice to know there's a backup at the time of exposure.

You don't know that you need it, until you need it. Then it may be too late.

Aug 19, 2016 at 03:05 AM
LivLif
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Who's Shooting Weddings w/Nikon D500?

leethecam wrote:
Multiple cards never bothered me - until I lost about 100 images from one card on a HUGE shoot.

But the 128GB SD backup which sits permanently in my camera saved the day.

My pro video camera (£400 for a single 32GB SxS card) doesn't record to multiple cards amazingly. I lost a single file on the card which was key to the whole day's shoot. No one sued, but I didn't get paid. Now I have a backup recorder on the camera to be sure.

Cards fail. Most likely when you need the files.

Backing up after the shoot - of course... but
...Show more

You should re-read my post. I shoot with two cards in backup mode.

Aug 19, 2016 at 05:25 PM
mineymole
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Who's Shooting Weddings w/Nikon D500?

I have one on loan from NPS for my next wedding.

Basic observations so far are that it is much more a pro body than the d750, much better focus point coverage, amazing buffer, amazing speed, very accurate focus, touch screen focus/shutter release on lcd.....

Yes files seem noisier for sure.... And a little less dynamic range....but all workable.

Aug 20, 2016 at 07:36 AM
LivLif
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Who's Shooting Weddings w/Nikon D500?

mineymole wrote:
I have one on loan from NPS for my next wedding.

Basic observations so far are that it is much more a pro body than the d750, much better focus point coverage, amazing buffer, amazing speed, very accurate focus, touch screen focus/shutter release on lcd.....

Yes files seem noisier for sure.... And a little less dynamic range....but all workable.

I agree with everything above.

Aug 21, 2016 at 02:35 AM
hendrikm
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Who's Shooting Weddings w/Nikon D500?

I shoot my weddings completely with de D500, the D800 is now my emergency body.
The af points are impressive, the outer cross type sensors are really good, you can "feel" the difference between the cross type and regular af sensors...
Nice small files, but coming from the D800 I´m still missing "one more click" while zooming into an image. Images are very sharp, but the LR profiles are quite bad, no real black point...

Bought an used Nikon 12-14 to cover the wide angle part. On the D800 I used the 24-120 for most parts. On the D500 I have to change lenses more often with the 12-24mm.
Finally my 85mm 1,8 produces sharp images, but it is quite "long" on an DX body for my taste.

I miss the internal flash, it was so easy and fast to trigger externalyy flashes, now you always need an external flash as master on camera if you want to have Nikons CLS system. Or spend more money for a SB-5000.

Yesterday I shot a civil marriage in a museum, so flash was not allowed. Mainly shot with 12800 ISO. I know, the files will be noisy an LR noise reduction creates a very "plasticky" look, killing a lot of details.

Aug 21, 2016 at 12:57 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Who's Shooting Weddings w/Nikon D500?

LivLif wrote:

The problem with mixing card types is that if, like I've done once, you are a couple of km from the brides home and you've realised your cards are on your kitchen table, it's reasonably easy to buy some SD cards to get you through the day. Not so much with an exotic and rare card type. What I'd prefer would be a single slot and 128GB of inbuilt flash storage on-board if they feel they need something faster than SD.

Gordon

Aug 21, 2016 at 03:35 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Who's Shooting Weddings w/Nikon D500?

flash wrote:
The problem with mixing card types is that if, like I've done once, you are a couple of km from the brides home and you've realised your cards are on your kitchen table, it's reasonably easy to buy some SD cards to get you through the day. Not so much with an exotic and rare card type. What I'd prefer would be a single slot and 128GB of inbuilt flash storage on-board if they feel they need something faster than SD.

Gordon

Yes, but you could just buy a 128 GB XQD and do the same thing. Flash memory wears out, so anything hardwired into the camera is not a good idea. Likewise, 128 GB becomes less relevant over time.

Aug 21, 2016 at 10:13 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Who's Shooting Weddings w/Nikon D500?

This could be cool. Pairing a D500 with a 58mm f1.4 = 87mm

or 24mm f1.8 = 36mm

20mm f1.8 = 30mm

Aug 22, 2016 at 02:08 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Who's Shooting Weddings w/Nikon D500?

Decent review of the D500 in the context of weddings:

Aug 25, 2016 at 03:33 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Who's Shooting Weddings w/Nikon D500?

hendrikm wrote:
Yesterday I shot a civil marriage in a museum, so flash was not allowed. Mainly shot with 12800 ISO. I know, the files will be noisy an LR noise reduction creates a very "plasticky" look, killing a lot of details.

Hi ISO comparison between D750 and D500, scroll down near the bottom: http://www.photobyrichard.com/reviewbyrichard/nikon-d500-review/

Aug 25, 2016 at 04:13 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.