New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · 16 vs 24

Steve Torelli
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 16 vs 24

With the 24MP Xtrans sensor available for a while now, I'd like to get opinions on the IQ between it and the 16MP.
Other factors aside, is it worth the upgrade ?

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:40 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 16 vs 24

What will you do with your photographs?

Aug 17, 2016 at 01:48 PM
flash
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 16 vs 24

For me yes. I see the 24MP sensor having less issues with foliage and I like the new Across simulation.

However....

You can't separate the sensor from the body and the bodies that have the 24MP sensor are better in every way than the old 16MP bodies. Better AF, better low light AF, faster operation, joystick, dual card slots.

For me as much as I like the new sensor it's the camera that's the real star and I would have upgraded even if the sensor was the same. The camera is that much better in use.

Gordon

Aug 17, 2016 at 03:23 PM
liggy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 16 vs 24

I love the Acros, AF, and the joystick.

Overall the XP2 feels like an M3 vs a base model 3 series. Very fast and responsive.

Aug 17, 2016 at 03:57 PM
Steve Torelli
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 16 vs 24

Gdan,
I print up to 13X19, I'm very critical about what I see on my monitor.

Aug 17, 2016 at 04:03 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 16 vs 24

I regularly print (and sell) 18" X 24" prints from X-trans 16MP files, so you aren't going to see much if any print resolution difference in 12" X 18" prints.

The native pixel dimensions of the 16MP files at 100% magnification will exceed that of your monitor.

Dan

Steve Torelli wrote:
Gdan,
I print up to 13X19, I'm very critical about what I see on my monitor.

Edited on Aug 18, 2016 at 03:44 AM · View previous versions

Aug 18, 2016 at 02:06 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 16 vs 24

Steve, I'll echo Dan's sentiment: You should be fine with either sensor printing the vast majority of images at 13 x 19. You may never see any issues.

You'll be able to print many subjects substantially larger too.

Side by side with higher resolution sensors, and in particular certain shots, you can discern increasing differences at increasing print size, though how many other people will notice these things in a solitary print?

It's not a terrible idea to rent such gear for a weekend, shoot some of the stuff you like to print or display-- and print or display it. It may cost you a little time and money, but you'll be able to take the next step with far more confidence than you can get from asking the forum. "Good enough" is a contentious, subjective topic-- and is ultimately a personal issue until or unless someone you're working for complains or doesn't hire you again!

Aug 18, 2016 at 03:20 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 16 vs 24

Steve Torelli wrote:
With the 24MP Xtrans sensor available for a while now, I'd like to get opinions on the IQ between it and the 16MP.
Other factors aside, is it worth the upgrade ?

Go to DPreview's web site and download both the 16MP and 24MP versions of their studio test scene, edit to taste and then print.

I did this when comparing my then-D700 to Sony's new (at the time) A850/A900.

Granted, this was a 12MP vs 24MP, so the difference is a bit more than 16 v 24, but there were noticeable differences in fine detail and I bought the A850 (wish I still had that kit!)

Everyone's threshold of what they can see or not see is just like noise tolerance -- some people may not see a problem while others see nothing but grain

Same thing with prints and DPR's test scene, while 'static' and not real-world, will at least give you a decent baseline of comparison.

And as previously stated, it's more than just a sensor upgrade -- entire body is improved!
Can't wait to get my hands on an XT2!

Aug 18, 2016 at 08:36 AM
Steve Torelli
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 16 vs 24

Thanks guys,
Think I'll stick with my Xt-1 for a while longer.

Aug 19, 2016 at 09:16 AM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 16 vs 24

That a850/900 was so special. I should get one to shoot my 100/2. That would be an awesome combo.

Aug 19, 2016 at 11:23 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 16 vs 24

TheEmrys wrote:
That a850/900 was so special. I should get one to shoot my 100/2. That would be an awesome combo.

Yeah if Sony's current A7 experience was more like the A850/900, I'd probably still be shooting an A7.

Sadly, I saw Sony's user experience take a huge nosedive when I sold off my A850 kit and later bought the A77. What a massively different (for the worse) experience.

The NEX series got even worse, then finally they improved but still not as elegant as the A850 (which admittedly was a much more simple camera than the A7 series).

I think that's why I like Fuji so much - the 'simple' experience is pleasant, and if you want to go more complex in features (PiP, focus mag or peaking, etc. etc) you can and it's still a mostly well-behaved camera.

Aug 19, 2016 at 12:52 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.