New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · GoPro Knockoff/Alternatives

drewmey
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · GoPro Knockoff/Alternatives

Was watching some videos and was amazed at the similarities between the Eken H8/9, SJ4000/5000, Yi 4K and the the GoPro Hero. I can't justify $350 for what I would like to use an action camera for (b-roll type footage and timelapses while I am busy shooting things more intimately with my DSLR) so I am heavily considering these knock off versions.

1) Does anyone have any experience with some of these? Enough to offer some advice?

2) I would just wing it and go with one since it is only $80ish but there is one thing that has bothered me about all of the videos I've seen so I wanted to research first. It seems like the GoPro's produce a more flat look (low contrast, whites and blacks "squished" in, etc). I have been using Davinci Resolve to edit videos from my DSLR and really prefer it to be flat to start with. Ensures that I have less blown out highlights etc. Do any of the knockoff versions offer the ability to adjust contrast or have neutral picture profiles?

Aug 17, 2016 at 11:22 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · GoPro Knockoff/Alternatives

I recall there is a significant improvement on the Yi if you run a startup script to reduce processing and increase quality on the files. Some articles about that online.

Aug 17, 2016 at 11:31 AM
drewmey
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · GoPro Knockoff/Alternatives

FlyPenFly wrote:
I recall there is a significant improvement on the Yi if you run a startup script to reduce processing and increase quality on the files. Some articles about that online.

Thanks, I'll look into that. I have magic lantern on my Canon 6D so I'm not exactly afraid to start doing some software revisions/scripting. The Yi 4k is a little more expensive than what I was hoping for though. May have to stick with the original Yi to be in my price range.

Aug 17, 2016 at 11:59 AM
joychris
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · GoPro Knockoff/Alternatives

If you do any grading, Gopro has the flatter protune profile, this alone will keep me in the Gopro camp.

Though Yi's newest camera has really shown improvements, hopefully they get a flat profile in the next version.

Aug 17, 2016 at 02:23 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · GoPro Knockoff/Alternatives

drewmey wrote:
Thanks, I'll look into that. I have magic lantern on my Canon 6D so I'm not exactly afraid to start doing some software revisions/scripting. The Yi 4k is a little more expensive than what I was hoping for though. May have to stick with the original Yi to be in my price range.

Ah I was talking about the older 1080p model, don't know anything about the current 4k version.

Aug 17, 2016 at 03:20 PM
rucchio

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · GoPro Knockoff/Alternatives

The current 4k version is great. Here is the camera from Israel. Check this out -
CAMERA

Feb 18, 2018 at 06:27 AM
tmalone893
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · GoPro Knockoff/Alternatives

I bought the Eken H9 for a cheap action cam but I mainly use it for a time lapse camera. For what I use it for, I'm very pleased with it. I paid a little over $40 for it from Walmart. It comes with a bunch of extras.

Feb 18, 2018 at 10:52 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.