Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Inevitable writing on the wall: Video resolution

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Inevitable writing on the wall: Video resolution

4k video is now mainstreaming in the latest dslrs, and it's approximately equivalent to the 20D's resolution. 8k is beginning in asia, which could be roughly 33mp based on the current calculations.

Video also has sound and motion. Raw video has file flexibility. ISOs already adequately keep up in video vs. photo.

In the (possibly near) future, will wedding photographers be just shooting video and grabbing the stills we want/need?...or will the market be split into just two pathways, video and medium/large-format photo?

Aug 17, 2016 at 10:39 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Inevitable writing on the wall: Video resolution

1DX II already shoots at 16FPS (in LiveView) which is basically a RAW video.

My prediction: Full on spraying-and-praying will be a totally acceptable method of shooting within the next few years. The norm among young photographers will be 500+ photos per hour of coverage. And flash recycling times? Who cares, just jack up the ISO.

Aug 17, 2016 at 01:01 PM
camboman
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Inevitable writing on the wall: Video resolution

Dammit, I want 3D holograms, already!

Aug 17, 2016 at 01:52 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Inevitable writing on the wall: Video resolution

You're talking about the same gradual pathway things are currently in, while I'm talking about a paradigm shift to 30-60fps 33mp video with sound...

Aug 17, 2016 at 02:05 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Inevitable writing on the wall: Video resolution

Smooth, cinematic video is shot at 1/50 second — which will be problematic for a lot of frame grabs

Aug 17, 2016 at 02:08 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Inevitable writing on the wall: Video resolution

Eh... I am not worried.
Video people mostly want to do video and photography people mostly want to do photography.
There is no way I would want to shoot video all day and then pull stills from it. It would be so boring I would want to jump off a cliff.

Again I think it all comes down to branding and what experience you are providing for people. I may have to eventually upgrade cameras etc. but if I am a photographer I don't have to switch over to pulling stills from video just because I can.

Aug 17, 2016 at 02:08 PM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Inevitable writing on the wall: Video resolution

No.

Because the aesthetics of shutter speeds are different between video and stills.

And because the use of strobe lighting affords flexibility that video shooting can't have.

And because the mindset of shooting that perfect still image is different from shooting video (I shoot both and it's different for me).

And because the artistic aims of video and stills can be quite different.

And because a good stills photographer will wait patiently for that perfect frame, whereas that luxury isn't available to a video cameraman, (unless he wants hours of binned material).

There's more to all this than the number of dots recorded.

Aug 17, 2016 at 02:10 PM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Inevitable writing on the wall: Video resolution

ZachOly wrote:
1DX II already shoots at 16FPS (in LiveView) which is basically a RAW video.

My prediction: Full on spraying-and-praying will be a totally acceptable method of shooting within the next few years. The norm among young photographers will be 500+ photos per hour of coverage. And flash recycling times? Who cares, just jack up the ISO.

If we're just using flash to increase the brightness of a scene or negate high ISO, then we're doing something wrong a lot of the time...

Aug 17, 2016 at 02:12 PM
Littleguy
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Inevitable writing on the wall: Video resolution

Short answer: NO

Long answer: It has to do with shutter speeds or what the film guys call shutter angles. If you want that cinematic look to your video - you will not be able to use the frame grabs for any action shots - static shots only.

http://photography.tutsplus.com/articles/quick-tip-how-does-shutter-speed-affect-video--photo-12092

form wrote:
4k video is now mainstreaming in the latest dslrs, and it's approximately equivalent to the 20D's resolution. 8k is beginning in asia, which could be roughly 33mp based on the current calculations.

Video also has sound and motion. Raw video has file flexibility. ISOs already adequately keep up in video vs. photo.

In the (possibly near) future, will wedding photographers be just shooting video and grabbing the stills we want/need?...or will the market be split into just two pathways, video and medium/large-format photo?

Aug 17, 2016 at 02:46 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Inevitable writing on the wall: Video resolution

The impact this has is overstated I think. No one wants to wade through long video to take frames from it, that is almost like shooting the thing all over again but behind a computer.

I'm sure we will shoot in bursts of high framerates in the future when we get electronic shutters but it will just be an improved tool that allows some new ways of shooting, not a fundamental change.

LeeSimms wrote:
Smooth, cinematic video is shot at 1/50 second — which will be problematic for a lot of frame grabs

Yup. Most of the people that keep mentioning this miss this point and haven't tried doing it.

Aug 17, 2016 at 04:27 PM
wenkanzhu
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Inevitable writing on the wall: Video resolution

We will shoot apple live photos in the future, there will be no album or print at all lol...

Aug 17, 2016 at 06:50 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Inevitable writing on the wall: Video resolution

Once video can do what I do with strobes and post, I'll worry.

Aug 17, 2016 at 06:54 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Inevitable writing on the wall: Video resolution

form wrote:
In the (possibly near) future, will wedding photographers be just shooting video and grabbing the stills we want/need?

With shooters saying they shoot 5000 Frames and more at a wedding, I thought they already were shooting video and just pulling every 3rd of 5th frame out of a film of the entire day!

Aug 18, 2016 at 04:02 AM
MalachiConstant
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Inevitable writing on the wall: Video resolution

Will never happen. The photos would look pretty horrible all shot at 1/100 or 1/50

Aug 18, 2016 at 07:38 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Inevitable writing on the wall: Video resolution

MalachiConstant wrote:
Will never happen. The photos would look pretty horrible all shot at 1/100 or 1/50

Never say never Some enterprising videographer will offer this as a package included in their video coverage and will begin to snag events from still shooters. Lots of people like the idea of one stop shopping and getting package deals. Videography, still photography, DJ services all under one roof for one price.

Aug 18, 2016 at 07:49 AM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Inevitable writing on the wall: Video resolution

MRomine wrote:
Never say never Some enterprising videographer will offer this as a package included in their video coverage and will begin to snag events from still shooters. Lots of people like the idea of one stop shopping and getting package deals. Videography, still photography, DJ services all under one roof for one price.

Oh they'll love the IDEA...

But they'll hate the RESULTS...!

Nothing is for free.

Aug 18, 2016 at 08:00 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Inevitable writing on the wall: Video resolution

leethecam wrote:
But they'll hate the RESULTS...!

You would think but already many clients have troubles telling the difference in the quality from one shooter to the next. Not every still pulled from video will be bad or have issues. Yervant had an article on his blog 3-4 years ago about how he was pulling some selected images from his videographer for album usage. If you shoot enough footage you will be able to get what you need for still coverage.

Aug 18, 2016 at 08:10 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Inevitable writing on the wall: Video resolution

MRomine wrote:
You would think but already many clients have troubles telling the difference in the quality from one shooter to the next. Not every still pulled from video will be bad or have issues. Yervant had an article on his blog 3-4 years ago about how he was pulling some selected images from his videographer for album usage. If you shoot enough footage you will be able to get what you need for still coverage.

You will, but you'll be effectively still shooting the event again after the fact in editing.

Aug 18, 2016 at 08:38 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Inevitable writing on the wall: Video resolution

Mark_L wrote:
You will, but you'll be effectively still shooting the event again after the fact in editing.

You're underestimating the amount of free time a 19-25 y/o has when they live at home with their parents.

We're talking about the next geration of wedding photographers. Not the 40 y/o with 2 kids and a mortgage.

Aug 18, 2016 at 08:41 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Inevitable writing on the wall: Video resolution

Mark_L wrote:

Oh I agree with you whole heartedly. This certainly would not be an optimum way to shoot/edit and not something that I would want to tackle but I could see this being offered by the the 'one stop shopping all under one roof mentality' that is so prevalent in our industry today. A trend that is aimed at the more budget conscious buyer.

Aug 18, 2016 at 08:44 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.