New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Strange pattern on image

leighton w
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Strange pattern on image

Does anyone have an idea what causes this? I was shooting all day in the heat of the day with over 200 images shot. The last two of the shoot looked like this. Fuji X-T10.

I shot a couple this morning and all looked good.

Aug 17, 2016 at 10:34 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Strange pattern on image

is this indoors under fluorescent lighting, or other lights that cycle? That's what it looks like to me.

Aug 17, 2016 at 10:51 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Strange pattern on image

ISO1600 wrote:
is this indoors under fluorescent lighting, or other lights that cycle? That's what it looks like to me.

It is indoors. I think it was fluorescent lighting, but I'm not sure. I shot one at the beginning of the day in the same office and it looks fine.

Aug 17, 2016 at 11:08 AM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Strange pattern on image

Yep, almost certainly the fluorescent lights. The pattern will depend on your shutter speed. High shutter speeds capture the cycle of lights the way you see in your photo. Slower shutter speeds allow them to blend together to look normal. I think the magic number is 1/60 (or below) in North America because the lights cycle at 60Hz.

Aug 17, 2016 at 11:21 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Strange pattern on image

formula4speed wrote:
Yep, almost certainly the fluorescent lights. The pattern will depend on your shutter speed. High shutter speeds capture the cycle of lights the way you see in your photo. Slower shutter speeds allow them to blend together to look normal. I think the magic number is 1/60 (or below) in North America because the lights cycle at 60Hz.

Ok thanks. But FWIW this image was at 1/1000 and the one that looks good was at 1/4000. It was in a different room of the same office and maybe there was different lighting, not sure. But what you said makes sense.

Aug 17, 2016 at 11:33 AM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Strange pattern on image

It's caused by using electronic shutter with some lighting. I only use mech shutter indoors for that reason.

Aug 17, 2016 at 11:53 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Strange pattern on image

Ian Boys wrote:
It's caused by using electronic shutter with some lighting. I only use mech shutter indoors for that reason.

Ahhhh...that''s exactly what happened. I switched to electronic shutter around midday while I was shooting outside and forgot to switch back. Thanks Ian!

Aug 17, 2016 at 01:45 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.