New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2016 · New FUSION ND Throttle Auto Adapter with aperture control

jim bennett
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · New FUSION ND Throttle Auto Adapter with aperture control

What is the dreaded X, and does anyone know if this adapter supports Eye-AF?

Aug 24, 2016 at 04:43 PM
darbo
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · New FUSION ND Throttle Auto Adapter with aperture control

jim bennett wrote:
What is the dreaded X, and does anyone know if this adapter supports Eye-AF?

Vari NDs are essentially two CPLs and as you turn them to max power they can produce a terrible uneven density pattern; it's the two CPLs creating lines of uneven shading that run perpendicular to each other. Thus the 'x' shape.

But that is true of the front mounted ND. Mounting behind the lens is supposed to avoid the problem.

I seriously doubt eye AF is supported. If you're shooting portraits I'm not clear why you'd want an adapter like this anyway.

Aug 24, 2016 at 06:05 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · New FUSION ND Throttle Auto Adapter with aperture control

I hope to test mine tomorrow.

A ND can be handy with strong outdoor light portraiture (low fstop) Maybe the reason for eye af.

Aug 24, 2016 at 06:18 PM
darbo
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · New FUSION ND Throttle Auto Adapter with aperture control

dgdg wrote:
I hope to test mine tomorrow.

A ND can be handy with strong outdoor light portraiture (low fstop) Maybe the reason for eye af.

Good point.

Really hope it works well for you. I haven't been able to order mine yet. Since my usage is strictly architectural and landscape, I don't care about anything but the ability to control aperture in-camera. Also interested to see what you think about the color. As I mentioned, the old one has a slight magenta cast that needs a little cleanup in post. For the most part I used an HSL adjustment layer and desaturated the magentas - seemed to do the trick for me.

Aug 24, 2016 at 11:43 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · New FUSION ND Throttle Auto Adapter with aperture control

Just looking on my Sony A7r1 lcd screen, I don't seen any dreaded X at the "Max" ND setting. The magenta color cast is fairly strong near the strongest ND setting.
I took a few sample shots with my Fotodiox 150mm ND 6 and 10 stop filters as well for comparisons. At 10 stops the Fotodiox clearly has some magenta cast but not as bad.
I think for a portable kit, it will be nice.
All those big filters take room and it's hard not to smudge them will trail mix residue.
I'll post my images once I get organized.

David

Aug 26, 2016 at 09:41 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · New FUSION ND Throttle Auto Adapter with aperture control

dgdg wrote:
Just looking on my Sony A7r1 lcd screen, I don't seen any dreaded X at the "Max" ND setting. The magenta color cast is fairly strong near the strongest ND setting.
I took a few sample shots with my Fotodiox 150mm ND 6 and 10 stop filters as well for comparisons. At 10 stops the Fotodiox clearly has some magenta cast but not as bad.
I think for a portable kit, it will be nice.
All those big filters take room and it's hard not to smudge them will trail mix residue.
I'll post my images once I get organized.

David

David,
It might be wise to make some custom profiles for when using this adapter middle to max settings. (X-rite Passport)
I was getting the magenta cast with their previous version and that's what I did.

Aug 26, 2016 at 04:08 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · New FUSION ND Throttle Auto Adapter with aperture control

That's a fine idea. I've never needed a color checker like the xrite passport but maybe it's time.

Aug 26, 2016 at 04:52 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · New FUSION ND Throttle Auto Adapter with aperture control

I have some comparisons now. It's an end of the driveway test on a wooded lot. I tried to catch as much sky as possible to give a clear color cast and dreaded X performance comparison.
It became cloudy quickly during my testing, but there is still enough clear sky for color comparisons.
The brighter top portion of the 145mm ND filters is from the sun coming into play more during testing.
I don't usually do these things, so be easy on any critiques please.

These images were all shot with the Sony A7r1, Tamron 15-30mm EF mount.
As a time saving measure, I used Aperture priority. Some higher ND images had overall exposure increased a little in order to appear uniform.

The left columns are with the MB IV-T, no ND filter.
The next column is with the Fusion ND Throttle. There are not any ND markings, only a min setting, max setting, and tick marks in between. Including the min and max larger tick marks, I counted a total of seven ticks. Tick 1 corresponds to the min setting, tick 7 corresponds to the max setting.
In the second sample there is a third column using the MB IV-T and the Fotodiox 145mm front filters. As a basic comparison, I put the 6ND filter next to the last row and the 10ND filter on the last row. The stops don't exactly add up, but I think worthwhile for a basic performance idea.
Feel free to download them. They are the largest sized jpegs I can upload to my site.

http://davidsphotography.zenfolio.com/p451763782/h356e31e2#h3f729030
http://davidsphotography.zenfolio.com/p451763782/h356e31e2#h356e31e2

My impression -
No dreaded X
Until near max, the Fusion ND Throttle has a warmish color cast.
At max the color cast is a little cooler with a bit of purple.
The Fotodiox 145mm 6 and 10ND filters have an equal amount of color cast, both being a bit purple. I think in post this could be easily corrected. The passport color checker would make it exact.
It definitely saves space in my bag if I'm not planning on doing landscapes with my Canon body.
I'd still need the 145mm front filter for pure polarizer use.

Sony A7r1, Tamron 15-30mm EF mount, @ 15mm, f/2.8, ISO 100
Left column are all MB IV-T, no ND filter.
Right column Fusion ND. Top to bottom "ticks" 1,3, 5, 7 (min to max)
http://davidsphotography.zenfolio.com/img/s7/v169/p1064472624-6.jpg

Sony A7r1, Tamron 15-30mm EF mount, @ 24mm, f/5.6, ISO 100
Left column are all MB IV-T, no ND filter.
Middle column Fusion ND. Top to bottom "ticks" 1,3, 5, 7 (min to max)
Right column Fotodiox 145mm ND filters. Top to bottom 6ND, 10ND.
http://davidsphotography.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v47/p896414178-6.jpg

Aug 26, 2016 at 07:31 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · New FUSION ND Throttle Auto Adapter with aperture control

Looks like a great adapter for landscapes. Really like that there is no X-factor. I have a VND filter which is frustrating to use as the X appears at different stops depending on the lighting. Never can use the VND filter to it's maximum.

Aug 27, 2016 at 08:14 AM
leetmode
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · New FUSION ND Throttle Auto Adapter with aperture control

Just received mine, glad it came in sooner than their original estimate (their website said it was in stock when I ordered but then I received an email 2 days after payment saying it wasn't) but I'm bit baffled by the crappy packaging they decided to send it in. It was in one of the USPS boxes but with no tape whatsoever, in fact the box looks like it was opened several times prior to getting to my house. I hope the adapter works fine, regardless this will be the last time I order from them.

Aug 31, 2016 at 01:55 PM
Jimi3
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · New FUSION ND Throttle Auto Adapter with aperture control

leetmode wrote:
Just received mine, glad it came in sooner than their original estimate (their website said it was in stock when I ordered but then I received an email 2 days after payment saying it wasn't) but I'm bit baffled by the crappy packaging they decided to send it in. It was in one of the USPS boxes but with no tape whatsoever, in fact the box looks like it was opened several times prior to getting to my house. I hope the adapter works fine, regardless this will be the last time I order from them.

How's the AF with your lenses? I'm thinking of picking this up for ultra wide landscape use, but also for outdoor people stuff with flash, where decent autofocus would be a big help. Wondering if the AF would be comparable to the standard to fotodiox smart adapter.

Sep 01, 2016 at 05:17 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · New FUSION ND Throttle Auto Adapter with aperture control

On my a7r1 with the latest firmware, it acts like my mbiv, slow but works.

Sep 01, 2016 at 05:39 PM
leetmode
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · New FUSION ND Throttle Auto Adapter with aperture control

Unfortunately the only Canon lens I have is the 17mm TSE

Jimi3 wrote:
How's the AF with your lenses? I'm thinking of picking this up for ultra wide landscape use, but also for outdoor people stuff with flash, where decent autofocus would be a big help. Wondering if the AF would be comparable to the standard to fotodiox smart adapter.

Sep 01, 2016 at 09:55 PM
ifxbonz
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · New FUSION ND Throttle Auto Adapter with aperture control

Fred Miranda wrote:
This is a life saver for lenses like the 11-24/4, TS-E 17 and Tammy 15-30.

Hi Fred, I think this adapter only works in APS-C mode on the a7 series cameras which would negate most of the 11-24's wide end? but i'n not positive....

Andy

Sep 04, 2016 at 03:05 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · New FUSION ND Throttle Auto Adapter with aperture control

Not on my a7r AFAIK. Did test shots already.

Sep 04, 2016 at 04:04 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · New FUSION ND Throttle Auto Adapter with aperture control

Andy, it's a full frame adapter. Change aps-c mode on your camera from auto to off.

ifxbonz wrote:
Hi Fred, I think this adapter only works in APS-C mode on the a7 series cameras which would negate most of the 11-24's wide end? but i'n not positive....

Andy

Sep 04, 2016 at 04:40 PM
ifxbonz
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · New FUSION ND Throttle Auto Adapter with aperture control

Fred Miranda wrote:
Andy, it's a full frame adapter. Change aps-c mode on your camera from auto to off.

Thats what I thought? But the end of this video

mentions to avoid vingetting use APS-C. I want to use this with my 11-24 it will be a great option for ND, but only if It is available at FF.

Am I miss-understanding?

Andy

Sep 04, 2016 at 08:43 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · New FUSION ND Throttle Auto Adapter with aperture control

My sample images above compare the ND throttle with the metabones iv bare, and metabones iv with the fotodiox front filters. Looks fine.
My widest lens is only 15mm, but since the adapter is behind the lens I wouldn't expect vignetting at 11mm.

Sep 04, 2016 at 09:03 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · New FUSION ND Throttle Auto Adapter with aperture control

I assumed that since their original adapter (ND throttle) was full frame, this one would be as well.
If that's the case, this is a serious limitation IMO.

ifxbonz wrote:
Thats what I thought? But the end of this video

mentions to avoid vingetting use APS-C. I want to use this with my 11-24 it will be a great option for ND, but only if It is available at FF.

Am I miss-understanding?

Andy

Sep 04, 2016 at 10:16 PM
darbo
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · New FUSION ND Throttle Auto Adapter with aperture control

Fred Miranda wrote:
I assumed that since their original adapter (ND throttle) was full frame, this one would be as well.
If that's the case, this is a serious limitation IMO.

Everything on the product page seems to support full-frame. It even has "FE" printed right on the barrel of the adapter. If it's only APS-C and not FF, they have a very very misleading product page don't you think? Have a look: https://www.fotodioxpro.com/fusion-nd-throttle-auto-adapter-canon-lenses-to-sony-emount-camera.html

Amd this line from the product page:

The FUSION is a 'Smart AF' ND Throttle lets you connect a Canon EF & EF-S lenses* to a Sony E-mount camera, both full frame and APS-C formats.

UPDATE:
I think I see where the problem is. They first came out with the APS-C version a while back - that's the one in the video. It appears that they have since circled back and developed the new one that is full-frame. Here is the link to the APS-C Fusion ND Throttle: https://www.fotodioxpro.com/vizelex-nd-throttle-auto-adapter-canon-eos-lens-to-sony-nex-apsc-emount-camera.html Note the lower price and the attached video.

Hope that clears things up, although Fotodiox could sure do a lot better job of clarifying things on their end.

Sep 04, 2016 at 10:51 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.