FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Time Lapse of 2016 Perseid Meteor Shower

Joe Marquez
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Time Lapse of 2016 Perseid Meteor Shower

Not sure if this is the best place to post. Photographed this year's Perseid Meteor Shower from the leeward side of Oahu in Hawaii. Rather than just posting images I decided to put together a time lapse. All taken with a Nikon D810a and 14-24mm lens. Exposure at 4 seconds, f/2.8, iso 8000. Hope you enjoy this. Aloha.

Aug 16, 2016 at 11:54 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Time Lapse of 2016 Perseid Meteor Shower

Hey Joe,

That is a creative attempt there, but not sure it totally works. A couple of things that jumped out at me.

1st. the palm trees seem blown out and too bright compared to the sky.

2nd. The Milky Way ends up being blue in most of this, instead of the white/brown color the core of the Milky Way should be.

3rd. The start stops of the time lapse, where you would stop and freeze it to show a streak of the meteor, and then start back up the timelapse, made this feel hurky jerky. If this is going to be a timelapse, then don't stop at the streaks, that's where it would be cool to actually see the meteor streak across the sky.

Jim

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:51 AM
bill s
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Time Lapse of 2016 Perseid Meteor Shower

I like everything about your presentation! Very very cool. Loved the clouds.

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:53 AM
Joe Marquez
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Time Lapse of 2016 Perseid Meteor Shower

JimFox wrote:
Hey Joe,

That is a creative attempt there, but not sure it totally works. A couple of things that jumped out at me.

1st. the palm trees seem blown out and too bright compared to the sky.

2nd. The Milky Way ends up being blue in most of this, instead of the white/brown color the core of the Milky Way should be.

3rd. The start stops of the time lapse, where you would stop and freeze it to show a streak of the meteor, and then start back up the timelapse, made this feel hurky jerky. If this is going to be a timelapse,
...Show more

Oh well. Sometimes thing work, sometimes not. Palm trees were heavily blown out due to street lights and I did bring back a bit. However, I didn't think it would be critical for this kind of shoot. Milky Way color is what I get using white balance of 3781K throughout. I actually like the blue contrasted with yellow. I didn't plan on doing a time lapse so there are gaps in shooting and dead periods and lots of clouds. Therefore I combined images from the adjoining sequence that had the most visible meteor activity. I didn't stop the sequence on a meteor shot. A continuous time lapse would have been quite boring IMHO. Knew this would be different and now I'll be better prepared for next year. Definitely appreciate the feedback.

Aug 17, 2016 at 01:42 AM
DaleBerlin
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Time Lapse of 2016 Perseid Meteor Shower

Really nice Joe thanks for posting. I like your choice of music. I checked out your Lanikai time lapse too, very well done. I don't know much about processing something like this, but I would think it is much more challenging than a typical landscape shot.

Aug 17, 2016 at 07:17 AM
tmiller9
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Time Lapse of 2016 Perseid Meteor Shower

Joe;

I really liked this - and appreciate you posting it here. Not too worried about how the palm trees, etc. look - I was more fixated on the show!

Todd

Aug 17, 2016 at 07:29 AM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Time Lapse of 2016 Perseid Meteor Shower

I think this works in general. I agree with others that the bright trees are distracting and the clouds also attract attention more than the meteor trails, but there wasn't much you could do about that. I don't mind the interspersal of stills, which appear to show some of the best streaks. I think the time lapse gives the viewer the impression of the meteors happening in time, while the stills allow appreciation of the beauty and structure of the individual streaks. One suggestion for the still might be to darken the image a bit, or pull down the highlights, to reveal the green to red coloration of the streak (assuming it isn't fully blown out, which isn't likely) I think the colors are one of the coolest aspects of meteor photography, since they don't usually persist long enough to be seen with the naked eye.

Dave

Aug 17, 2016 at 07:48 AM
Joe Marquez
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Time Lapse of 2016 Perseid Meteor Shower

DaleBerlin wrote:
Really nice Joe thanks for posting. I like your choice of music. I checked out your Lanikai time lapse too, very well done. I don't know much about processing something like this, but I would think it is much more challenging than a typical landscape shot.

Thanks Dale. Time lapse processing was definitely a matter of compromises for me. A different kind of challenge.

Aug 17, 2016 at 11:52 AM
Joe Marquez
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Time Lapse of 2016 Perseid Meteor Shower

bill s wrote:
I like everything about your presentation! Very very cool. Loved the clouds.

Thanks bill. In someways clouds are cool but wish there were fewer for this kind of shoot.

Aug 17, 2016 at 11:54 AM
Joe Marquez
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Time Lapse of 2016 Perseid Meteor Shower

tmiller9 wrote:
Joe;

I really liked this - and appreciate you posting it here. Not too worried about how the palm trees, etc. look - I was more fixated on the show!

Todd

Thanks Todd. A very fun show. Really wanted to go to the Big Island for ideal conditions but couldn't make it. Maybe next year.

Aug 17, 2016 at 11:55 AM
Joe Marquez
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Time Lapse of 2016 Perseid Meteor Shower

dsjtecserv wrote:
I think this works in general. I agree with others that the bright trees are distracting and the clouds also attract attention more than the meteor trails, but there wasn't much you could do about that. I don't mind the interspersal of stills, which appear to show some of the best streaks. I think the time lapse gives the viewer the impression of the meteors happening in time, while the stills allow appreciation of the beauty and structure of the individual streaks. One suggestion for the still might be to darken the image a bit, or pull down the highlights,
...Show more

Excellent points Dave. I have much to learn.

Aug 17, 2016 at 11:58 AM
ceblaum
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Time Lapse of 2016 Perseid Meteor Shower

Joe, I take it from your further comments that this was somewhat experimental for you. In light of that, it was amazing. I enjoyed this immensely.

Aug 17, 2016 at 08:33 PM
Joe Marquez
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Time Lapse of 2016 Perseid Meteor Shower

ceblaum wrote:
Joe, I take it from your further comments that this was somewhat experimental for you. In light of that, it was amazing. I enjoyed this immensely.

Definitely an experiment. Thanks for the kind words ceblaum.

Aug 17, 2016 at 10:51 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.