Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · XT-2 vs. X Pro-2 (when video is not important)

chouska
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · XT-2 vs. X Pro-2 (when video is not important)

For all X shooters, does anyone know/believe (if) the upcoming Kaizen firmware update will add the continuous AF feature new to the XPro-2.

Aug 16, 2016 at 01:35 PM
stempsons
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · XT-2 vs. X Pro-2 (when video is not important)

http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n160707_04.html

From what I've followed on the interweb, the AF speed will be equal to the XT2, but the new custom function settings will not be implemented. The X Pro 2 has fewer auto focus points, so some of the settings cannot be applied via firmware.

Aug 16, 2016 at 01:49 PM
chouska
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · XT-2 vs. X Pro-2 (when video is not important)

Thanks

Aug 16, 2016 at 02:07 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · XT-2 vs. X Pro-2 (when video is not important)

I would think between the two, your preference would come down to viewfinder style... I really like the VF on the corner of the frame like a traditional rangefinder, and I like the OVF capability.

Aug 17, 2016 at 10:53 AM
taemo
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · XT-2 vs. X Pro-2 (when video is not important)

Im having a hard time choosing between the 2.

Pros of the X-T2 for me is tilting screen, really great for me as I like shooting in various angles and level for landscape and CAD$50 cheaper than X-Pro2
Con for me is the DSLR style body, as I'm so accustomed to shooting RF

Pros of the X-Pro2 for me is RF style body
Cons are no tilting sceen (although not really a deal breaker as I can shoot landscape just fine with the X-E2) and price.

Deal breaker for me would be Fuji lowering the price of the X-Pro2 once the X-T2 is out, don't really need a new camera until end of October but any chance that it will go down in price then?

Aug 17, 2016 at 04:13 PM
Michael H
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · XT-2 vs. X Pro-2 (when video is not important)

ISO1600 wrote:
I would think between the two, your preference would come down to viewfinder style... I really like the VF on the corner of the frame like a traditional rangefinder, and I like the OVF capability.

^^This

I've become a big fan of the ergonomics. For me as a left-handed, right-eye dominant shooter I love the way the body just slides up next to the nose rather than the nose smashed up against the VF. The OVF has been beneficial for me as well.

Aug 17, 2016 at 04:26 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · XT-2 vs. X Pro-2 (when video is not important)

I have decided to sell my xpro2 for the XT2. The odd thing is that it is only for the vertical grip. Xpro2 is killing my wrist in portrait orientation.

Should post it up on the B&S.

Aug 17, 2016 at 10:40 PM
motorsjuk

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · XT-2 vs. X Pro-2 (when video is not important)

I too found that using the X-Pro2 vertically was uncomfortable, until I changed the way I was holding the camera. I have with every previous camera held the camera by the grip from above, but now I grip it from below instead. A bit hard to explain, but it's "upside down" compared to how I normally would - grip down instead of up, and VF up instead of down? Elbow against my side, instead of up beside my head
It felt weird at first, but I find it to be more comfortable, and the camera is also more stable. Maybe because the VF is placed to the left, instead of in the middle, so the camera needs to be held higher? See if it works for you

Other than that - I am very happy with the X-Pro2, and feel no need to replace it with the X-T2. I have two X-t1s already, but they are pretty much only used with the 50-140.

Aug 19, 2016 at 12:14 PM
gyoung143
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · XT-2 vs. X Pro-2 (when video is not important)

Thats been the best way to hold a r/f type camera since I can remember. I bought a book by Benser withy my M3 in the 60s and it showed how much more stable a Leica was in portrait orientation if the viewfinder is at the top and your arms are both tucked in by your sides instead of waving about in mid air.
I have always used my slrs that way too, you should be able to hand hold down to lower speeds like that.

Gerry

Aug 19, 2016 at 12:28 PM
taemo
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · XT-2 vs. X Pro-2 (when video is not important)

motorsjuk wrote:
I too found that using the X-Pro2 vertically was uncomfortable, until I changed the way I was holding the camera. I have with every previous camera held the camera by the grip from above, but now I grip it from below instead. A bit hard to explain, but it's "upside down" compared to how I normally would - grip down instead of up, and VF up instead of down? Elbow against my side, instead of up beside my head
It felt weird at first, but I find it to be more comfortable, and the camera is also more stable. Maybe because
...Show more
watch the Brian Duffy documentary on youtube, you can see him shooting a Canon 7 that way, I love shooting RF vertically that way!

Aug 19, 2016 at 01:22 PM
AbramG
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · XT-2 vs. X Pro-2 (when video is not important)

As someone that has shot rangefinders for some time, I'm generally biased towards a preference to that style. That being said, I think the body of the X-T2 will balance better with Fuji's larger lenses (I wouldn't want to use the huge zooms or anything on the X-Pro 2. Even the 23 f/1.4 is kind of pushing it for me).

In all honesty I have the X-Pro 2 now but I'm probably going to buy an X-T2 in the future and shoot with both.

Aug 19, 2016 at 02:01 PM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · XT-2 vs. X Pro-2 (when video is not important)

The X-pro2 would look killer with a full battery grip on!

TheEmrys wrote:
I have decided to sell my xpro2 for the XT2. The odd thing is that it is only for the vertical grip. Xpro2 is killing my wrist in portrait orientation.

Should post it up on the B&S.

Aug 19, 2016 at 03:53 PM
AbramG
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · XT-2 vs. X Pro-2 (when video is not important)

dasrocket wrote:
The X-pro2 would look killer with a full battery grip on!

Yeah it would look something like a Leica M with the motor winder attached

Aug 19, 2016 at 04:20 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · XT-2 vs. X Pro-2 (when video is not important)

motorsjuk wrote:
It felt weird at first, but I find it to be more comfortable, and the camera is also more stable. Maybe because
...Show more

I do both, but your "grip from below" method works well, especially for quick shots.

- - -

A point of reference regarding the XT2 versus XPro2 question: The XPro2 does have a pretty decent EVF system, too. If you are a fence sitter regarding the two types of viewfinder, you get a pretty functional EFV with the XPro2 — good, though admittedly not quite as good as the XT2. (I've been switching back and forth between the EVF and OVF modes on my XPro2 quite a bit — OVF with my 35mm f/1.4, EVF and OVF with my 23mm f/1.4, and EFV with my 50-140mm. I also switch to the EVF for some night photography.

Having said all of that, I think that most people will probably get the XT2 and simply forego the OVF.

Dan

Aug 19, 2016 at 04:55 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · XT-2 vs. X Pro-2 (when video is not important)

motorsjuk wrote:
...Show more

I also shoot portraits both "normal" and "reverse" with the XPro2. For portraits and street shots shooting "reverse" has a great advantage of appearing less obtrusive in body language with arms at ease by your side. With practice it is a great technique as it you relaxes you as the photographer too.

I use both the OVF hybrid and the EVF. The OVF is excellent with 16/1.4, 23/1.4, 35/1.4 and 56/1.2. I had forgotten how helpful it is to see outside the frame lines as it causes you to slow down taking shots and really think how you wish include elements in your shot. The EVF is great too of course, and I find it with 50-140/2.8 and 90/2 this is ideal.

I do think the XT2 will be superb, as I am expecting mine within 2 weeks I am still undecided whether I will keep the XPro2 as I love the hybrid OVF. Maybe I can convince my wife that she needs the XPro2 to replace her A7s

Aug 19, 2016 at 06:09 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · XT-2 vs. X Pro-2 (when video is not important)

^^^

Would I get the XT2, already having the XPro2? Before I got the XPro2, I might have considered that. (And I still think that most buyers of newer model X-trans cameras will like the XT2 a lot, especially if they regularly use zoom lenses.) But after using the XPro2 extensively for the past month while traveling, I've come to like the ability to switch between the OVF and the EFV — though in my case this may be because I tend to use small primes for street photography (usually OVF) but occasionally switch to the 50-140 with EVF.

I feel that if I had both cameras I would not likely use both of them equally, and that I might be better off with one or the other than with both, or that a more useful combination might be one of them plus one of the fixed lens 23mm cameras in the X100 series.

Dan

Aug 23, 2016 at 01:04 AM
halie
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · XT-2 vs. X Pro-2 (when video is not important)

gdanmitchell wrote:
^^^

Would I get the XT2, already having the XPro2? Before I got the XPro2, I might have considered that. (And I still think that most buyers of newer model X-trans cameras will like the XT2 a lot, especially if they regularly use zoom lenses.) But after using the XPro2 extensively for the past month while traveling, I've come to like the ability to switch between the OVF and the EFV — though in my case this may be because I tend to use small primes for street photography (usually OVF) but occasionally switch to the 50-140 with EVF.

I feel that
...Show more

Is it that you like the OVF better, but it doesn't work with the longer lenses? Do you think the EVF of the X-T2 would make you like EVF better? I'm wondering if you don't like the EVF as much as the OVF, and only use it when the OVF won't work.

Aug 23, 2016 at 02:06 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · XT-2 vs. X Pro-2 (when video is not important)

halie wrote:
Is it that you like the OVF better, but it doesn't work with the longer lenses? Do you think the EVF of the X-T2 would make you like EVF better? I'm wondering if you don't like the EVF as much as the OVF, and only use it when the OVF won't work.

I like the OVF with small primes for street photography — I like seeing outside the frame boundaries, I like the continuous optical image, and it uses less battery power with this camera.

I switch to EVF with the long lens because EVF simply works a whole lot better than OVF with zooms, especially those that are rather long or rather wide. I also use EVF for some night photography since it can display a better image in very lowlight.

I shot an EVF-only Fujifilm camera for over three years before getting the XPro2, so I know that it is also quite possible to adapt very successfully to using only the EVF. My point wasn't so much about which type of viewfinder is "better" — there are pluses and minuses to both — but more about the ideas of a) giving up an XPro2 you already have for an XT2 or b) imagining using both cameras together.

Dan

Aug 23, 2016 at 02:13 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.