Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Need more power for Canon (ETTL)

idahophotoist

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need more power for Canon (ETTL)

I am a contract photographer for local fair and a lot of the events are in an enclosed arena, my current flash is only GN52@ISO100, the light falls off often too short of the action. The building is a black hole. I bought a new flash, which failed one day into the fair. The seller will refund, but now what do I buy? I am open for suggestions, PLEASE! Thanks

Aug 16, 2016 at 01:02 PM
WarrenL
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need more power for Canon (ETTL)

Do you just need power, or do you need TTL metering

Aug 16, 2016 at 01:24 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need more power for Canon (ETTL)

Or a camera with better high ISO and a faster lens?

Aug 16, 2016 at 01:44 PM
Anoop Shah
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need more power for Canon (ETTL)

No on camera flash will be able to light an arena. You're going to need to up your ISO / open your lens / slow your shutter down to get ambient mixed in with what you're doing on camera.

We'll need a lot more information before we can really recommend anything. Budget? Does it have to be on camera? Does it have to be battery powered (or do you have access to A/C power)?

And if the Arena is that dark, and people are naturally used to not being able to see anything in the distance than don't worry about your pictures looking the same way. It would be considered normal.

Aug 16, 2016 at 02:17 PM
ugdog
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need more power for Canon (ETTL)

Crank up the iso, use your fastest lens and use fill flash. You may need to put a full or half cto gel on your flash to balance the ambient light. Easy peasy ;-) Your key to success here is to use that ambient light to your advantage.

Aug 16, 2016 at 02:26 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need more power for Canon (ETTL)

I'm no flash guy , but years ago a video cam operator said something thats always stuck with me . "twice the distance = 4x the light power" .
even as good and powerful flash guns have got you can not expect output thats going to fill a room

do you have the opportunity to use extra slave flashes that can be triggered by a master ? if so then maybe go down the route of a 600ex RT and some 430 EX RT slaves (or even a few yunguo 600 knock offs )

Aug 16, 2016 at 03:40 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need more power for Canon (ETTL)

They're some battery powered strobes out there and a few have an ettl mode. I use a combo of canon speedlites and Elinchrom Quadra lights I have both the a and s lights.

The Quadra has the ability to work with speedlites in ettl mode.

Aug 16, 2016 at 05:45 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need more power for Canon (ETTL)

The cheapest way to get more power out of your flash is to up your ISO. I looked at your profile and can't see what type of gear you have....

Aug 16, 2016 at 07:06 PM
herion
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need more power for Canon (ETTL)

You need one of these....

Aug 16, 2016 at 08:41 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need more power for Canon (ETTL)

I got super lucky at a recent wedding. 12 people total. Officiator allowed me to use a flash...I about died.

When she said a flash she didn't say which...I may have used a 600 ex rts on a stand...with an umbrella. I got iso 1600 f/2.8...it was amazing.

Aug 16, 2016 at 09:48 PM
idahophotoist

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need more power for Canon (ETTL)

High power manual battery flash was the way I used to do, back then though you were used to an intimately involved with our focus and exposure setting. Yes I got lazy, do like the auto stuff if I can use it but this second year shooting the fair, and all the complexities of it... I have considered a straight battery flash for more power, but have wondered about the low trigger voltage of DSLRs

Aug 16, 2016 at 11:12 PM
idahophotoist

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Need more power for Canon (ETTL)

Well a faster lens would be nice,

Aug 16, 2016 at 11:13 PM
idahophotoist

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Need more power for Canon (ETTL)

humm wasn't aware of that... I have a full set of White Lightnings 600, 1200 and 1800 but at a fair you are all over the place and hauling equipment is a hassle, I know I tried.

Aug 16, 2016 at 11:15 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.