New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Why BW?

sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Why BW?

couldn't fall asleep last night
as I lay in bed I was starting to think, why BW? When is that a strong option?
in no particular order, but playing with S, here are some ideas
please add your own, and feel free to debate what you see

!. Shadows
2.Structures (eg architecture, geometrics, certain repeating elements)
3.Simplification (eg color competes; technical problems with varied light sources, WB issues)
4.Style (as preference)
5.Subject (includes style matching statement, eg timeless image, old style photo)
6 Separation (improved isolation from BG, extraneous elements)
7......?

Scott

Aug 16, 2016 at 11:24 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Why BW?

Personally I almost never prefer BW to color.

There a few very rare exceptions. Those rare cases are when the BW helps create a mood where the color might be a distraction. I am thinking mainly of misty, foggy scenes. There are also a few rare cases where the BW helps to add emphasis to shapes and patterns and, again, the color is a distraction. That might apply to some architectural or highly patterned subjects.

I am not sure I could be more specific as to when the color seems to be a distraction. Again, for me, those are rare occasions. More typically color provides more details and visual interest. Thos same highly detailed images often appeared very cluttered when converted to BW. It is the low detail, moody blurry images or very simple patterns which seem to work best.

Then there is the idea that BW is artsy. Just because Ansel and the other early masters of photography only had BW does not mean we gain anything by taking a step back in time. Personally I think the vast majority of the old master photographs would have looked better in color.

There is an additional factor that negatively impacts my appreciation of BW photos. A great many of the conversions are really poorly done. Many BWs seem to have poor contrast and appear bland but that does not mean a high contrast will automatically work. Getting the tones to work was one of the highly prized skills exemplified by Ansel Adams. Few modern photographers have those skills.

The more photography I do, the more I like a simple approach and minimal processing. At this point, I think of BW as being highly manipulated and processed.

Edited on Aug 16, 2016 at 12:31 PM · View previous versions

Aug 16, 2016 at 12:29 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Why BW?

S ... you about Summed it up to the diff aspects related to decisions about telling the Story

Aug 16, 2016 at 12:30 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Why BW?

I appreciate your thoughts, Jim. One part of BW photography I like is the creative control offered by using the mix of color information flexibly to pull/push contrast, separation, style, etc. And there is that artsy piece and the historical roots piece that pull me as well.
In addition, converting to BW does bypass some color balance/temp issues and some images that wouldn't succeed because of contrast, lighting, time of day, nature of the sky can be worked successfully in BW.
But taste, style, preference are still dominant factors, IMO.

Scott

Aug 16, 2016 at 01:28 PM
pixlepeeper
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Why BW?

For me:

1-When BW expresses the message behind the photo better.
2-The colors don't express much in the photo (this is another way of putting no. 1)
3-Shooting under suboptimal lights where getting the colors right in PP is not easy.
4-When colors actually distract from the subject.

Aug 16, 2016 at 02:19 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Why BW?

Why do you use a certain aperture? Why do you select a particular shutter speed? Why do you select a specific focal length, shooting height, etc.?

In a sense, shooting B&W or color was more of a deliberate choice in the film days, unless you're in the position of deciding whether to pull out the M9 or Monochrom. ;-).

Sometimes a photo just tells you it should be monochrome (or duo tone, etc.). Sometimes it's to simplify the image, to remove distractions and help the viewer concentrate on the heart of the image.

I preferred to shoot B&W in the film days. I still do a fair amount of conversion (NIK Silver Efex Pro is terrific), but I think I do more color work now, especially when I can manipulate the color palette in post easily. Few of my "artistic" images have true color.

Aug 16, 2016 at 03:09 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Why BW?

Agree with all except #6-Separation. To me color helps separate objects or subjects better than BW. And coming from me that seems a bit odd.

Totally on board with you on #3!

Dave

Aug 16, 2016 at 03:41 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Why BW?

7. Sterilize (To remove specific emotional baggage color might carry.)
8. Similitude-homagé (To honor by imitation a previous master's work in B&W.)
9. Sophistry (To deceive the viewer by removing color telltales.)
10. Space/Speed (To reduce the digitized image size for storage/transmission.)
11. Suitability (Such as for inclusion for B&W printing with tight control.)
12. Solicitude (To allow equal appreciation by those with color vision impairments.)
13. "Squalid-ify" (To make a scene seem dirty, shabby or sleazy.)
14. Supercilious (To arrogantly demonstrate greater sophistication.) ... as with extending a list with a bunch of additional "S" words...

Aug 16, 2016 at 05:04 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Why BW?

Nice additions Karen.
Several I was thinking but couldn't think of how to articulate ... bonus points for the freebie vocabulary lesson.

Seasoning @ Salt & pepper to taste.
Somber @ mood evocation
Serious @ element reduction (i.e. color) heightens focus on other attributes

+1/2 / -1/2 @ Dave's point @ Separation.
In some regard, it can be a tricky proposition to get separation when tonal values are close together. Yet, in others it can be easy to drive things apart without it looking garrish as it would in color to generate the separation.

Selective Color @ Doug's fav ... not.

Aug 16, 2016 at 07:12 PM
jzzhu1989

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Why BW?

I tend to use BW when the colors play no contribution to the photo.

For example distracting colors in background, It can also be effective in covering up unflattering skin tones.

Aug 16, 2016 at 07:32 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.