New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Storing Prints

Ix4224
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Storing Prints

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to start printing more and I had a question about how you guys store prints that are not being framed/hanged.

I assume for 4x6s and 8x10s, those can just go into photo albums/binders with divider pages/shoe boxes? Any recommendations on those?

For larger prints, like A3 or A2 sized, what do you use for storage? And what do you use for transporting large prints? I know there are those long tubes people use for posters; do those cause any issues with prints?

Thanks!

Aug 15, 2016 at 06:16 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Storing Prints

I use clamshell portfolio cases to stores and transport my prints. I have a sheet of fine tissue paper between each photo for protection. As far as small prints, I don't print anything smaller than 12x18.

Aug 15, 2016 at 06:40 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Storing Prints

I use Century, but there are other brands as well.

EBH

Aug 15, 2016 at 06:46 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Storing Prints

As Chez mentioned with all materials being archival - museum standard.

Aug 16, 2016 at 12:57 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Storing Prints

I usually use an Archival Methods clamshell box w/ either interleaving tissue or per-print ClearBags (w/ flap cut off) to prevent damage.

Aug 16, 2016 at 08:18 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Storing Prints

Ix, you don't say whether you just want to keep prints from getting dinged up or whether you want archival level measures. Most of the responses are assuming you mean archival and I agree with them, but you may want to ensure you understand the difference and what your intent is. When you include shoe boxes as an option, it makes me somewhat unclear as to your wishes.

Aug 16, 2016 at 09:04 PM
Ix4224
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Storing Prints

Thanks for all the responses!

nolaguy wrote:
Ix, you don't say whether you just want to keep prints from getting dinged up or whether you want archival level measures. Most of the responses are assuming you mean archival and I agree with them, but you may want to ensure you understand the difference and what your intent is. When you include shoe boxes as an option, it makes me somewhat unclear as to your wishes.

Sorry for being unclear in original post. I had no clue about how people actually stored prints so not sure what the terminology is/what's out there.

Looking at the suggestions, archival is more what I'm looking for.

Aug 16, 2016 at 11:19 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.