FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Trip to Antelope Canyon in September

kinconorb
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Trip to Antelope Canyon in September

mdude85 wrote:
If you are trying to catch the sunrise then you need to be there by 5:30AM. But you could see Horseshoe Bend in the mid-morning hours and then do the lower Antelope Canyon tours which are generally 1-2 hours, and you could be done by the early afternoon. Or you could switch them -- Antelope first, then Horseshoe Bend.

Sunrise would be amazing!! Unfortunately, I doubt that any of my friends are willing to wake up at 3:00 - 3:30am to drive from Zion to Horseshoe Bend (but perhaps I can convince them). Antelope Canyon looks amazing so it should be an easy sell.

Aug 19, 2017 at 08:26 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Trip to Antelope Canyon in September

`just be mindful it is monsoon season and if there are any chances of rain there, they will close the canyons. I am heading down there tomorrow and was looking at doing another tour there, but it is calling for monsoons everyday after 11am all of this week...

Aug 20, 2017 at 09:58 AM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Trip to Antelope Canyon in September

I'd also be at least a little wary of the estimated travel times offered on some of the web services. I-15 especially between Las Vegas and through Cajon Pass into the Los Angles area, then typical L.A. traffic can be congested as suggested traveling back to L.A. on a Sunday. We ran into a fair amount of trucking related congestion on I-40 through the Mojave desert, trucks slow and/or others trying to pass but slowly, etc. The other roads between the Page area and the interstates are remote and typically only two lane roads with the possibility of range cattle, deer, etc. Also, if there are thunderstorms in the area, be wary of flooded areas or washouts.

Aug 20, 2017 at 06:23 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Trip to Antelope Canyon in September

kinconorb wrote:
Sunrise would be amazing!! Unfortunately, I doubt that any of my friends are willing to wake up at 3:00 - 3:30am to drive from Zion to Horseshoe Bend (but perhaps I can convince them). Antelope Canyon looks amazing so it should be an easy sell.

Prepare to be disappointed - both will be super-crowded and unless you are the uber-social type who thinks that empty banter with total strangers is its own reward you will be find the crowds depressing. I have never been to either Antelope or Horseshoe, despite having driven past them at least a dozen times. Just not worth the aggravation. There are so many beautiful places within an hours drive, why bother. If you are after the Antelope aesthetic check out one of the many canyons suggested by Greg. If you want a twisty river, drive up to the Goosenecks. Neither one is as pretty as its famous counterpart, but both are infinitely more rewarding.

Aug 21, 2017 at 12:49 AM
Johnwocher
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Trip to Antelope Canyon in September

Antelope Canyon. Impressive. Do not listen to the naysayers. Check with the site on best light beam times.
Get the photographer's tour. Your guide will hold back the crowds for your shots (3-5 minutes for each setup & shots on my tour). I shot mostly bracketed (+2 0 -2) with two friends. Plenty of time. Upper Antelope more space. Take tripod. Cover camera between shots. Do NOT change lenses in the canyon. Sand everywhere! I kept the 17-40L on my 5DSR and removed it in the hotel. When home, sent it to Canon for cleaning. They replaced a few abraded parts, good as new. Use compressed air can on camera afterwards. Put tripod in the shower afterwards. Both canyons spectacular.
Here is one from my trip. Late March of this year.
John

© Johnwocher 2017

Upper Antelope Canyon

Aug 25, 2017 at 02:20 AM
jimger

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Trip to Antelope Canyon in September

I have used Dixie Ellis tours,very affordable and good guides. Try to get Tana or Armondo. Usually the light beams are best March thru May. Lower Antelope & Upper will be crowded, try Canyon X which is about 8 miles out of town .Nowhere as crowded, only cost me $50.00 for 3 hours a few months ago.
Horse Shoe Bend, Glenn Canyon Damn,Lake Powell are all good photo ops as well.

Aug 28, 2017 at 10:36 PM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Trip to Antelope Canyon in September

I went to Antelope Canyon (don't remember which one, but you park and the tour is right there) the summer of 2015 and it was very crowded, but they still had "Photographer tours" in addition to regular tours. Take the photography tour because they're smaller and spend more time in one location so you can get the perfect print. The other tour is full of kids and run through the area like hoodlums, making it very unpleasant, but at least you don't have to travel through Antelope with them.

One really great technique I learned from that trip is switching the White Balance to florescent which gave the cave walls a magnificent color change for the good! They turn a nice dark red to purpose, but you still have the intense orange as well. Nice contrast. Give it a try and post your photos if you get to Antelope.
Bill

Example where I changed the WB to florescent (flash works too)

Sep 07, 2017 at 01:47 AM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Trip to Antelope Canyon in September

billsamuels wrote:
I went to Antelope Canyon (don't remember which one, but you park and the tour is right there) the summer of 2015 and it was very crowded, but they still had "Photographer tours" in addition to regular tours. Take the photography tour because they're smaller and spend more time in one location so you can get the perfect print. The other tour is full of kids and run through the area like hoodlums, making it very unpleasant, but at least you don't have to travel through Antelope with them.

One really great technique I learned from that trip is switching
...Show more

Nice tip about the white balance, Bill. Wouldn't have thought about that, so thanks much.

Sep 07, 2017 at 02:17 PM
khurram1
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Trip to Antelope Canyon in September

Greg Campbell wrote:
Keep in mind that the "Light Beam Tour" can be jarringly crowded.

Scenes like this are common. http://www.flickr.com/photos/charlesstacey/5996302033/

That actually doesn't look too bad - i've seen it much worse

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:57 PM
Johnwocher
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Trip to Antelope Canyon in September

Greetings - Yes it can be, but if you take the photographer's tour with perhaps two colleagues, you will only see this as they pass you. Our guide held back the hoards very well and no one got in our shots. When we saw a leg in the view down the slot, we mentioned it and he yelled to to the other guide to hold them back. I never felt pressured. Applied the camera settings in advance, shot the same bracketed sequences, checked histograms afterwards and made adjustments, finished 3-4 shots and covered the camera with a cloth. Guide asked us if we got the shots. When we said yes, we moved on. He placed us in shooting positions the hoards cannot get to (small ledges) and showed us opportunities to shoot up in places. Threw sand into the light beams when we were ready. Very helpful!. When we stopped to shoot. It was quiet. Like we were the only ones there. Sometimes we heard a voice or two. Passing the hoards is tricky in the narrow parts. Carry the camera near your chest. I had tripod legs expended the entire time with no problem. We would stop and set up. Crowds ahead moved on or were held back for us. We had perhaps 3-4 minutes to take our shots. No complaints at all. Gave guide a nice tip. Enjoy!
John

Sep 20, 2017 at 02:49 AM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Trip to Antelope Canyon in September

Johnwocher wrote:
... checked histograms afterwards and made adjustments...

No complaints at all. Gave guide a nice tip. Enjoy!
John

Glad you enjoyed the trip. Jackalope IS very pretty....

One tip for anyone reading - chimp the RED histogram. Most cameras show the green by default, or as the only one available. If your camera doesn't have separate RGB graphs, assume you're seeing the green channel and reduce exposure until there are several stops of "buffer space" between the highlights and right end of the box.

Sep 20, 2017 at 04:01 PM
       end

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.