Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · What makes the difference?

bipock
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What makes the difference?

I've been shooting with Nikon almost a year now. Been pretty pleased after 9 years with Canon.

I started with a D750 and D7200, sold the D7200 when I switched focus and picked up another D750, then sold the D750 for a D5 because I simply like the handling and feel better.

Over my last couple weddings, I've noticed that I can easily pick out which files were made by which camera before editing, still can do it after editing but not as easily. The D5 seems to have a clarity and separation factor that the 750 doesn't have. When I shot Canon, my 1Dx compared to other models had the same effect though not to the extent that I'm seeing now.

Any thoughts on what I am seeing? Same glass, same settings, but there's a difference.

Aug 15, 2016 at 01:01 PM
Vcook
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What makes the difference?

different sensor probably a factor.

Aug 15, 2016 at 02:03 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What makes the difference?

and what Nikon does with the Sony sensor

I'm not familiar with Canon lenses, but from what I read, the optimal (non-big tele) setup would be a nikon body with Canon lenses...

Aug 15, 2016 at 02:23 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What makes the difference?

I haven't the Pixel pitch, Pixel area, Pixel density, of both here before me, nor the ability to see changes/differences within the firmware on both bodies.. But I would suggest that all of the above combinations of these are the differences.

I also believe (if not mistaken) the D750 was out of the can without an AA filter.

But I too can tell my bodys apart without issue just by the way the output comes out of the can.

Aug 15, 2016 at 02:55 PM
chuhsi1
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What makes the difference?

can you post some pictures? i'm curious if others can see this difference, particularly with 'clarity and separation'

i can see the difference between d3s and df/d4s files simply because of the better white balance on the newer cameras.

Aug 15, 2016 at 02:59 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What makes the difference?

rw11 wrote:
and what Nikon does with the Sony sensor

I'm not familiar with Canon lenses, but from what I read, the optimal (non-big tele) setup would be a nikon body with Canon lenses...

Physically impossible.

Nikon lens on Canon - yes, but not the other way around.

Aug 15, 2016 at 03:20 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What makes the difference?

I've heard this too - several people are saying that D5 files pop a bit more. The colour algorithms vary between models which may contribute, and the D5 also has a bit less dynamic range at low ISOs than the D750 which may make the shots look punchier in some circumstances.

Aug 15, 2016 at 03:28 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What makes the difference?

It can only really be processing or profile differences because the rest is physics/math.

Aug 15, 2016 at 03:39 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What makes the difference?

pburke wrote:
Physically impossible.

Nikon lens on Canon - yes, but not the other way around.

ees joke, senor

Aug 15, 2016 at 05:19 PM
morrismike
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What makes the difference?

CanadaMark wrote:
It can only really be processing or profile differences because the rest is physics/math.

There is a lot of hardware between the sensor and SD card. Probably 90% of the magic happens after the signal leaves the sensor.

Aug 16, 2016 at 07:34 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What makes the difference?

Images from a lower resolution sensor will appear sharper and crisper when viewed at 100% due to the lower magnification factor. Same thing happened with my 12MP D3s and 5D. It's an observation anomaly.

Aug 16, 2016 at 09:22 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What makes the difference?

morrismike wrote:
There is a lot of hardware between the sensor and SD card. Probably 90% of the magic happens after the signal leaves the sensor.

That would be processing.

If he is talking about subject separation, that is things like DOF which is something you can calculate all else being equal (which he said it was).

Aug 16, 2016 at 10:03 AM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What makes the difference?

I always thought that 90% of the magic happens when the sun's rays have to go thru a lot of atmosphere to hit the sensor.

Aug 16, 2016 at 02:59 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.