New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Family Vacation FPJ with an S95

Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Family Vacation FPJ with an S95

This series was 100% inspired by Canerino and his work with a range finder Leica M...not as good by any stretch, and I don't have that kind of budget so this year on our 15th Annual Family Vacation I decided to document the vacation in that same style, but the poor mans way, with my Canon Powershot S95. It is my camera for work, cheap, small but with full manual control. I left it in B&W JPEG mode, so very little editing on the images, mostly for contrast, the SOOC images were fairly flat.

The best part about it...I got out and did something new, I took a camera out when I normally wouldn't, and I ended up with over 200 pictures for the week that would not have been taken otherwise...so, if for that reason only I am really glad I did it, and I will do it again.

So here they are, just a few of my favorites.

#1: My daughter spending as much time on the beach as she can.

#2: Fearless when it comes to the water.

#3: Everyone has their own thing they do when at the beach.

#4: The crab and sea star hunting was epic this year

#5: My daughter and her cousin, she wanted to spend as much time with her as possible.

Aug 15, 2016 at 05:08 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Family Vacation FPJ with an S95

Set 2

#6: And I mean as much time, they were nearly attached at the hip.

#7: My niece has taken up photography, and we get to go spend some time together taking pictures.

#8: Games are won and lost, the competition is fierce.

#9: More games...in a quiet setting.

Edited on Aug 15, 2016 at 09:41 AM · View previous versions

Aug 15, 2016 at 05:10 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Family Vacation FPJ with an S95

Last three.

Thanks for looking, any comments or crits are more than welcome, and much appreciated.

#11:

#12: My nephew was 18 months old when I joined the family...now he is 15.

#13: My sister in law spending time with my daughter.

Aug 15, 2016 at 05:13 AM
brick33308
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Family Vacation FPJ with an S95

I like the images and normally prefer black/white, however I'm not in love with your black/white processing. They're a little dark and flat.

Aug 15, 2016 at 09:33 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Family Vacation FPJ with an S95

brick33308 wrote:
I like the images and normally prefer black/white, however I'm not in love with your black/white processing. They're a little dark and flat.

Fair enough. No, they are not super bright. Thanks for taking the time to look and provide some feedback.

Aug 15, 2016 at 09:43 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Family Vacation FPJ with an S95

A lot of these are shots from behind the subjects. Get around front for a more interesting shot - faces, not backs of heads.

Aug 15, 2016 at 06:24 PM
lazlo369
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Family Vacation FPJ with an S95

Very nicely done, capturing the "Kodak moments" in BW.
There is good contrast in the pictures to my eye

Aug 15, 2016 at 06:51 PM
fredv
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Family Vacation FPJ with an S95

a wonderful group of images... very well seen and shot

Aug 15, 2016 at 09:55 PM
peacefrog33756
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Family Vacation FPJ with an S95

Very nicely done with the S95. I still have an S100 and it serves me well everyday.

Aug 16, 2016 at 04:19 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Family Vacation FPJ with an S95

Travis,

To me, a very pleasing set - I like the processing, not the usual fare, which adds character to the images.

Appears you all had a lovely and enjoyable vacation - nice of the subjects to cooperate so freely Wish I'd used our trip to Tybee to same advantage photographically...

Bob

Aug 16, 2016 at 07:21 AM
gregfixit
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Family Vacation FPJ with an S95

I really like these as a set. 1, 4. 5, 7 & 8 work best for me. I think the gradient that the bright sky provides makes these a little more visually appealing.

I think Jim makes a good point. It is somewhat easy to make vacation photos about the environment, or the family. It is a lot more challenging to make it about both. I think you've done well, but getting in front of them could make these even better.

Thanks for sharing.

Greg

Aug 16, 2016 at 09:17 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Family Vacation FPJ with an S95

Jim Rickards wrote:
A lot of these are shots from behind the subjects. Get around front for a more interesting shot - faces, not backs of heads.

Hi Jim, yes, many are from behind or the side, I was trying to not be intrusive in the goings on...but I can see how it might not work as well for some.
---------------------------------------------

lazlo369 wrote:
Very nicely done, capturing the "Kodak moments" in BW.
There is good contrast in the pictures to my eye

Thanks. Glad they don't feel flat to you...on my calibrated screens they don't feel flat.

fredv wrote:
a wonderful group of images... very well seen and shot

Thanks.

peacefrog33756 wrote:
Very nicely done with the S95. I still have an S100 and it serves me well everyday.

Thanks. My wife has an S110...I will steal it next time, she never uses it...prefers her iPhone...

Bob Jarman wrote:
Travis,

To me, a very pleasing set - I like the processing, not the usual fare, which adds character to the images.

Appears you all had a lovely and enjoyable vacation - nice of the subjects to cooperate so freely Wish I'd used our trip to Tybee to same advantage photographically...

Bob

Thanks Bob. Thanks for the feedback. We had a great time. Not getting in their faces and just capturing the day to day stuff was why they were cooperative! Particularly my daughter, I over photographed her for her first few years and now she makes ugly faces at the camera...or more recently leaves finger prints on the front element telling me to stop pointing a camera at her...

gregfixit wrote:
I really like these as a set. 1, 4. 5, 7 & 8 work best for me. I think the gradient that the bright sky provides makes these a little more visually appealing.

I think Jim makes a good point. It is somewhat easy to make vacation photos about the environment, or the family. It is a lot more challenging to make it about both. I think you've done well, but getting in front of them could make these even better.

Thanks for sharing.

Greg

Thanks for the feedback Greg, I will keep all of the pointers in mind next time out...I wish I didn't have to wait so long.

Aug 17, 2016 at 11:51 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Family Vacation FPJ with an S95

Bob Jarman wrote:
Travis,

Bob

Thanks Bob. Thanks for the feedback. We had a great time. Not getting in their faces and just capturing the day to day stuff was why they were cooperative! Particularly my daughter, I over photographed her for her first few years and now she makes ugly faces at the camera...or more recently leaves finger prints on the front element telling me to stop pointing a camera at her...

- my mother-in-law mirrors that behavior, I have given up trying, much less "please"

Bob

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:26 PM
Jim Dockery
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Family Vacation FPJ with an S95

I find them quite lovely - makes me want to try shooting in B&W instead of always converting from color. Perhaps a bit flat, but that is part of what I like about them - more journalistic. I don't mind the shots of people's backs, and certainly sympathise with your plight to capture the moment without bothering the family, which I'd say you did a wonderful job at.

Aug 17, 2016 at 07:36 PM
unclechuck
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Family Vacation FPJ with an S95

Nice set --- there are a lot of fans of the S90/S95 and G10 --- ISO can be limiting but as your work illustrates everything else is there to capture great images.

Charles

Aug 17, 2016 at 08:53 PM
JimW56
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Family Vacation FPJ with an S95

Very well done Travis.

Jimmy

Aug 28, 2016 at 02:55 PM
KirkB
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Family Vacation FPJ with an S95

Really enjoyable set for me, I too would be more inclined to shoot from the front rather than behind, but I still like these Travis. I also like your choice of B&W.
I've been primarily a nature & wildlife shooter and always preferred color... but now I have a 15 month old granddaughter and really like converting to B&W.
1, 4, 5, 7, and 8 are my favorites... well done.

Kirk

Aug 28, 2016 at 04:35 PM
Wilfredo
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Family Vacation FPJ with an S95

Wonderful series. I often travel with the S95 in my bag along with my Leica Monochrom. I've never shot with it in B&W mode but I'm going to give that a few shots, thanks to your series!

Aug 29, 2016 at 05:41 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Family Vacation FPJ with an S95

Jim Dockery wrote:
I find them quite lovely - makes me want to try shooting in B&W instead of always converting from color. Perhaps a bit flat, but that is part of what I like about them - more journalistic. I don't mind the shots of people's backs, and certainly sympathise with your plight to capture the moment without bothering the family, which I'd say you did a wonderful job at.

Thank you for taking the time to look through them and comment. Interesting on the "flat" comment, I will have to re-visit, they were all quite flat as shot, but I increased contrast and darkened the blacks in all of them...

unclechuck wrote:
Nice set --- there are a lot of fans of the S90/S95 and G10 --- ISO can be limiting but as your work illustrates everything else is there to capture great images.

Charles

Thanks Charles. I didn't mind a little noise or grain when the ISO had to be turned up, it just seemed to be ok with me on these. I might have to upgrade to a G series, but they are not as compact and portable like the S95.

JimW56 wrote:
Very well done Travis.

Jimmy

Thank you very much.

KirkB wrote:
Really enjoyable set for me, I too would be more inclined to shoot from the front rather than behind, but I still like these Travis. I also like your choice of B&W.
I've been primarily a nature & wildlife shooter and always preferred color... but now I have a 15 month old granddaughter and really like converting to B&W.
1, 4, 5, 7, and 8 are my favorites... well done.

Kirk

Thanks for commenting Kirk. Next year maybe I will shoot from in front more.

Wilfredo wrote:
Wonderful series. I often travel with the S95 in my bag along with my Leica Monochrom. I've never shot with it in B&W mode but I'm going to give that a few shots, thanks to your series!

Thanks. I Glad it makes you want to get out and shoot in B&W. I learned to shoot B&W film many years ago, and still do from time to time...so getting back to it was fun.

Aug 29, 2016 at 08:03 AM
Max10
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Family Vacation FPJ with an S95

#11 is very impressive. Would you mind posting the colour version of it?

Aug 29, 2016 at 05:41 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.