New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · "forcing" wide angle portraits

Jonathan Brady
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · "forcing" wide angle portraits

I tend to be a portrait photographer and I heavily tend to be a medium telephoto portrait photographer (although calling myself a "photographer" is probably a being optimistic). However recently I came across a ridiculous deal on the Canon 16-35 f/4L IS and I picked it up mostly because I wanted to force myself to use wider angles in my portraits.

So yesterday I was out and the setting just seemed like it might be right for a wide angle shot, although just the very notion of it makes me uncomfortable, so I put the lens on, pulled the camera up to my eye and got REAL uncomfortable! I then decided... go big or go home! So I rotated the zoom from 35mm to 16mm, composed the shot, and pressed the shutter. This was the result...

IMG_2010 by Jonathan Brady, on Flickr

I'd love some feedback on this shot. Good, bad, indifferent. And I'd REALLY love some C&C to help me improve.

Aug 15, 2016 at 04:46 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · "forcing" wide angle portraits

I am still learning as a portrait photographer myself, so take my comments with that in mind...

Wide angle and portraits is tough, for the distortion, particularly when the subject is off center.

I like the positioning of the girl with the clouds, that blue spot lined up nicely for you. I would like just a little eye contact, and a shallower DoF to focus us more on the little girl, it would minimize the distraction of the grasses in the foreground.

Aug 15, 2016 at 04:54 AM
jzzhu1989

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · "forcing" wide angle portraits

I was taught that when using a wide angle lens (35mm) the distortion could be used as an advantage, whilst in the landscape orientation the general effects is it will widen a subject, but when used in the portrait orientation the distortion can make a feature taller/longer due to distortion.

Aug 15, 2016 at 05:54 AM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · "forcing" wide angle portraits

I think for a first effort, this is fine, with a couple of notable things to fix. First, the tall grass on the left side of the image has to go. You could crop this out without compromising the integrity of the image. Then, I'd clone out some of the distracting grass bits at the horizon near her (there are three or four of them there). Then, I'd get rid of the light green, tall piece of grass that is lightest in color and the piece just to the left of it. I'd go ahead and leave the rest, on the right side.

As to the distortion factor, your subject placement hasn't generated any noticeable distortion in my opinion. I think wide angle portraits are great, if the environment is important, as it is in this photo. Keep it up!

Aug 15, 2016 at 10:27 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · "forcing" wide angle portraits

It was hard for me to do this as well. This is now an environmental portrait, and these days, I love environmental portraits. I think we start off just wanting to fill the frame with our subject, and now I like to think of the environment as a secondary subject to anything I shoot so I do a lot of these full body shots now.

So, back to your pic. I really like it. I can see a little lens distortion here so I'm wondering how close to 16mm you shot this one? I'd probably shoot more around 35mm as much as possible to stay away from any lens distortion. By the way, you don't need a wide lens to shoot wide. I do it with my 70-200 all the time.

Anyway, I think this is great for you. "Force" yourself to do it more and more every time you do a shoot with someone. For what it's worth, you are clearly a photographer. Can't wait to see more of these, and your usual tighter shots, from you!

Aug 15, 2016 at 10:34 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · "forcing" wide angle portraits

Steve Wylie wrote:
I think for a first effort, this is fine, with a couple of notable things to fix. First, the tall grass on the left side of the image has to go. You could crop this out without compromising the integrity of the image. Then, I'd clone out some of the distracting grass bits at the horizon near her (there are three or four of them there). Then, I'd get rid of the light green, tall piece of grass that is lightest in color and the piece just to the left of it. I'd go ahead and leave the rest,
...Show more

Good points, Steve. Agree.

She needs to look up rather than down for this shot.

Lovely background. You are way beyond "camera owner".

Aug 15, 2016 at 06:15 PM
Jonathan Brady
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · "forcing" wide angle portraits

Thank you, everyone, for the feedback, compliments, and suggestions! All are very much appreciated! I haven't had the opportunity to sit down and edit the rest of the session but when I do, I'll post a few more here. Thanks again!

Aug 16, 2016 at 04:35 AM
Konablue
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · "forcing" wide angle portraits

It looks like you had some room to tilt the camera upward a little or stand taller if you were stooping down. Why?...to reduce the amount of foreground and bring in more of that beautiful sky. Wide angle lenses are great for creating dramatic skies/backgrounds and that's one area where the distortion often works in your favor.

But there are always compromises. When photographing kids (dogs or other small subjects) I like to get low and shoot from their eye level or even lower which will change the whole feel of the composition. So instead of an adult looking down at a child you then have the perspective from the child's point of view and brings the viewer into their world. Also, I found that when using wide angles it really helps to get up close to the subject and let the wide lens do it's thing with the background.

Keeping the subject in the center will reduce the amount of distortion from a wide lens. If you can afford to lose some resolution you can place the subject in the center of the frame when shooting and then crop for composition in post processing.

Overall, it's a nice photo and you can certainly call yourself a photographer. You've earned it!

Aug 18, 2016 at 10:32 AM
01Ryan10
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · "forcing" wide angle portraits

"Environmental Portraits" are one of my favorite styles. You just need to make sure you have an "interesting" environment.

Lin and Jirsa use this style a lot, and they're very good at it.

https://www.instagram.com/linandjirsa/

Here are some of my attempts with it...

Aug 18, 2016 at 04:26 PM
KristinSmall
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · "forcing" wide angle portraits

I love environmental shots and incorporate them into almost every session I do. I think they add some fun variety but, yes, the environment has to work for it. I like the environment and light in your shot. I do not like her closed eyes, but that's easy to avoid. The widest I go is 35mm, but I can see having fun with wider (even with some distortion -- or you can fix that in post.) Keep playing!

Aug 19, 2016 at 09:53 AM
Access
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · "forcing" wide angle portraits

While it may be one meaning of the word, environmental portraiture isn't necessarily done outdoors. The idea is to show a subject in their natural environment. Details in the background can be important, as can general surroundings. An example is a photo of a child in his/her bedroom or play room, smiling and surrounded by their favorite toys. Your wide angle lens can be good for these types of portraits as well.

Aug 19, 2016 at 05:35 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.