Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              74      
       end

Archive 2016 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

k-h.a.w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.75 #1 · p.75 #1 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Fred Miranda wrote:
After playing with it for a while and getting tons of mis-focused images, I'd say it's not working very well with the A7R III.
In AF-C it's just not reliable and AF pulsates a lot (goes back and forward very quickly). It's also hunts in areas where it should not. I think TAP was working better on the A7R II.
EyeAF works now but it's only somewhat reliable in AF-S.

Thanks Fred. Too bad, that seems quite different from my experience with the TAP on the A9.

K-H.

Dec 06, 2017 at 12:23 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.75 #2 · p.75 #2 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Yes, thanks for the info Fred. I really appreciate it and you saved me from some costly experimentation.

Unfortunately, this has burst my fantasy of getting an A7Riii and TAP and being able to use my Pentax 77 limited with EyeAF in AF-C mode.

Dec 06, 2017 at 03:15 PM
genji
• • • •
p.75 #3 · p.75 #3 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

virtualrain wrote:
Anyone using TAP on the A7RIII? I’m having challenges getting it working in AF-C... it often hunts and never locks focus until I change composition or something. It’s very twitchy. Bloody annoying but it could be the low light I’m shooting in (although I’m using an f/1.1 lens so the AF system should have plenty to work with).

---------------------------------------------

Fred Miranda wrote:
After playing with it for a while and getting tons of mis-focused images, I'd say it's not working very well with the A7R III.
In AF-C it's just not reliable and AF pulsates a lot (goes back and forward very quickly). It's also hunts in areas where it should not. I think TAP was working better on the A7R II.

My own experience matches these observations exactly (and "pulsates" is the perfect word to describe the behavior). Switching TAP units makes no difference. I originally said that TAP performance would be a key factor in deciding whether or not to upgrade but all the other improvements and new features of the A7R III have more than compensated for my disappointment with the lousy TAP experience. It's unusable for me in either AF-C or AF-S so here's hoping it can be fixed with a firmware update.

Dec 06, 2017 at 06:02 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.75 #4 · p.75 #4 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

genji wrote:
---------------------------------------------

My own experience matches these observations exactly (and "pulsates" is the perfect word to describe the behavior). Switching TAP units makes no difference. I originally said that TAP performance would be a key factor in deciding whether or not to upgrade but all the other improvements and new features of the A7R III have more than compensated for my disappointment with the lousy TAP experience. It's unusable for me in either AF-C or AF-S so here's hoping it can be fixed with a firmware update.

I've asked TechArt about a possible firmware update to fix this issue. I have not heard from them yet.
Fred

Dec 06, 2017 at 06:35 PM
virtualrain
• • •
p.75 #5 · p.75 #5 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Fred Miranda wrote:

Ok glad I’m not the only one. Here’s hoping Techart has some news for us soon.

Dec 06, 2017 at 10:47 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.75 #6 · p.75 #6 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

I got this today from TechArt:

"Hi Fred,
Our engineer will definitely work on improving the compatibility with A7R3. He is now working on the EF-GFX new firmware and once its done, focus will move towards the TAP x A7R3.. Appreciate your patience!"

Dec 08, 2017 at 01:24 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.75 #7 · p.75 #7 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Fred Miranda wrote:
I got this today from TechArt:

"Hi Fred,
Our engineer will definitely work on improving the compatibility with A7R3. He is now working on the EF-GFX new firmware and once its done, focus will move towards the TAP x A7R3.. Appreciate your patience!"

They have only one engineer?

K-H.

Dec 08, 2017 at 01:31 PM
genji
• • • •
p.75 #8 · p.75 #8 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

k-h.a.w wrote:
They have only one engineer?

K-H.

At least they're honest!

Although this is the TAP thread, the TA-GA3 (Contax G -> Sony) AF adapter exhibits the same "pulsating" behavior with the A7R3.

Dec 10, 2017 at 12:04 AM
photomadnz
• • •
p.75 #9 · p.75 #9 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Fred Miranda wrote:

Yeah I had the same issues. Nice that the eye focus works but the rapid pulsing in basic focus scenario's is annoying and worse then my experience on the R2.

Dec 10, 2017 at 12:09 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.75 #10 · p.75 #10 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

photomadnz wrote:
Yeah I had the same issues. Nice that the eye focus works but the rapid pulsing in basic focus scenario's is annoying and worse then my experience on the R2.

Changing tracking sensitivity from "3" to "1" makes things a bit better but still not good enough.

Dec 10, 2017 at 10:52 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.75 #11 · p.75 #11 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

k-h.a.w wrote:
Thanks Fred. Too bad, that seems quite different from my experience with the TAP on the A9.

K-H.

Yeah, TAP on the A9 is really good - lately it has been more dependable than my D850 in most situations, even low light. It still pulsates every so often, and crashes the camera every now and then though, which is annoying.

Dec 10, 2017 at 01:27 PM
k9_gtl

p.75 #12 · p.75 #12 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Hi, thinking of getting the new A7III and the Techart for use with my Pentax Limited lenses. Is there a recommended PK to M mount adapter? Also how is the latest firmware with the A7III?

Jun 07, 2018 at 06:38 PM
Tirpitz666
• • •
p.75 #13 · p.75 #13 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

According to the FAQ here in the forum (which is a very good read anyway if you are new to the TAP):

Leicaist PK->M adapter
Fotodiox PK->M adapter

Jun 08, 2018 at 03:29 AM
imsurokim
• •
p.75 #14 · p.75 #14 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Can I get link to FAQ? I cannot find it.

Thanks

Tirpitz666 wrote:
According to the FAQ here in the forum (which is a very good read anyway if you are new to the TAP):

Leicaist PK->M adapter
Fotodiox PK->M adapter

Jun 12, 2018 at 12:25 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.75 #15 · p.75 #15 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

imsurokim wrote:
Can I get link to FAQ? I cannot find it.
Thanks

Here is the FAQ, started by @genji:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1452716

Jun 12, 2018 at 12:35 AM
imsurokim
• •
p.75 #16 · p.75 #16 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Thank you Fred. It seems like I should learn how to search topics in this forum.

Fred Miranda wrote:
Here is the FAQ, started by @genji@:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1452716

Jun 12, 2018 at 09:14 AM
AdaptedLenses
• • • • •
p.75 #17 · p.75 #17 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

My question is where have the used ones gone? Are these things just falling apart? Sold mine, thinking about getting another but they never come up for sale anymore...

Jun 12, 2018 at 08:42 PM
zaphodm

p.75 #18 · p.75 #18 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Mathieu18 wrote:
My question is where have the used ones gone? Are these things just falling apart? Sold mine, thinking about getting another but they never come up for sale anymore...

Just PMed you about mine. (Is that OK, Fred? If not I'll delete this post, and please ignore the PM)

Jun 13, 2018 at 12:36 AM
featherfive

p.75 #19 · p.75 #19 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Yeah, i wonder about it too, if every single one of these adapters develops wobble at some point what happens to them? Do people just throw them away? Bit too expensive as a disposable for my taste

Feb 12, 2021 at 06:45 AM
Tirpitz666
• • •
p.75 #20 · p.75 #20 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Lol just sold mine on eBay, was gently used and did not wobble at all, bad timing I suppose

I just wasn't using it anymore after I've sold my 35 1.4 ZM, but I can see many there on sale.

Feb 12, 2021 at 08:37 AM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.