Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              69      
       71              74       75       end

Archive 2016 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

k-h.a.w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.70 #1 · p.70 #1 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

CE33 wrote:
I've tried both AF-C & AF-S, but mostly used AF-C so far. Wide focus, various apertures, no IBIS (A6300). I took it out this morning in bright light and it had the same problems. I'd be happy to discover it's something I'm doing wrong, because its performance on the TAP is vastly inferior to all the other lenses I've tested.

I just tried it on my a6300 with Phase Detection AF, Center Focus Area, AF-C, lens set to f/5.6 and to infinity, a6300 in Aperture mode and F/2.0.
Position camera so that focus point is on contrasty spot. This seems to work for me.

K-H.

Dec 13, 2016 at 10:09 AM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.70 #2 · p.70 #2 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

k-h.a.w wrote:
I don't have that problem with Choppy, a 15/4.5 M-mount lens.
What parameters are you using? Aperture? Focus points? IBIS? AF-C, S? etc.

Same here, I have never had a problem using this lens with TAP . . .

Dec 13, 2016 at 05:06 PM
genji
• • • •
p.70 #3 · p.70 #3 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

CE33 wrote:
I've tried both AF-C & AF-S, but mostly used AF-C so far. Wide focus, various apertures, no IBIS (A6300). I took it out this morning in bright light and it had the same problems. I'd be happy to discover it's something I'm doing wrong, because its performance on the TAP is vastly inferior to all the other lenses I've tested.

I wonder if AF performance with an ultra-wide lens would be better with the central or flexible spot focus area rather than wide. Also I recall Guy pointing out that on Sony cameras AF works best when the focus point is on vertical rather than horizontal lines.

Dec 13, 2016 at 07:47 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.70 #4 · p.70 #4 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

genji wrote:
I wonder if AF performance with an ultra-wide lens would be better with the central or flexible spot focus area rather than wide. Also I recall Guy pointing out that on Sony cameras AF works best when the focus point is on vertical rather than horizontal lines.

I wonder if AF performance with an ultra-wide lens would be better with the central or flexible spot focus area

Correct.

AF works best when the focus point is on vertical rather than horizontal lines

Correct.

Dec 13, 2016 at 10:02 PM
Jack Thompson
• •
p.70 #5 · p.70 #5 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Emailed Teacart Pro about the wobble in my adapter. Still have not yet heard back from them.

Dec 14, 2016 at 12:56 AM
dumplinknet
• •
p.70 #6 · p.70 #6 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Can you describe the "wobble" you are referring to? I've always had a" wobble" on my adapter since day 1 and I assumed it was normal.
Let me describe my wobble: I am referring to the movement of the silver mount as it moves in and out of its black housing. I understand that the mount should only move in and out, however, my copy has up and down (tilt?) movement.
This is only noticeable if I touch (or gently wiggle) the lens while it's mounted on the TechArt Adapter.

Jack Thompson wrote:
Emailed Teacart Pro about the wobble in my adapter. Still have not yet heard back from them.

Dec 14, 2016 at 01:51 AM
candreyo
• •
p.70 #7 · p.70 #7 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

This is the same problem I had also, your description is similar to what I was experiencing.

I was able to loose critical wide open focus on some lenses because of this wobble. Even if I touched gently the lens, it was able to wobble up and down. This was with a very light weight lens too (Zeiss 50mm f1.5 ZM).

I have since bought a spare adapter I'm using, while my other one was sent to Hong Kong under warranty.
This second TAP I have has no wobble.

dumplinknet wrote:
Can you describe the "wobble" you are referring to? I've always had a" wobble" on my adapter since day 1 and I assumed it was normal.
Let me describe my wobble: I am referring to the movement of the silver mount as it moves in and out of its black housing. I understand that the mount should only move in and out, however, my copy has up and down (tilt?) movement.
This is only noticeable if I touch (or gently wiggle) the lens while it's mounted on the TechArt Adapter.

Dec 14, 2016 at 03:20 AM
CE33

p.70 #8 · p.70 #8 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

genji wrote:

Thank you for the suggestions genji and k-h.a.w. I have tried center focus but not flexible spot. Either way, this is the only lens I've tested where performance has been less than optimal, so I'm still quite pleased with the performance of the TAP.

Dec 18, 2016 at 06:03 PM
Jack Thompson
• •
p.70 #9 · p.70 #9 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

candreyo wrote:
This is the same problem I had also, your description is similar to what I was experiencing.

I was able to loose critical wide open focus on some lenses because of this wobble. Even if I touched gently the lens, it was able to wobble up and down. This was with a very light weight lens too (Zeiss 50mm f1.5 ZM).

I have since bought a spare adapter I'm using, while my other one was sent to Hong Kong under warranty.
This second TAP I have has no wobble.

Just heard back from Teacart after sending them a video of the "wobble" in the adapter. On my own dime I will send it to Hong Kong for replacement. I will probably purchase another one to use in the meantime, and when they send me the new one, I'll have a spare. So it goes.

Dec 20, 2016 at 12:55 AM
brick33308
• • •
p.70 #10 · p.70 #10 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

I'm having a problem with the TAP inconsistently focusing the ZM 35 1.4 on my A7Rii. Sometimes it does but more often it doesn't. Any suggestions?

Dec 20, 2016 at 04:47 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.70 #11 · p.70 #11 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

brick33308 wrote:

Set to small aperture? It fucusses better at wide apertures.
Off centre focus point? It focuses better with centre point
Low light? Focuses better with plenty of light.

What you should do is try bright light centre focus f2. Assuming that's good (if it's not something is wrong) carefully test the other variables (try progressively off centre points at f2, then go centre for f2.8, then off centre, then f4) until you strike inconsistent results. Then you will know under what conditions you can rely on consistent results.

Dec 20, 2016 at 04:59 PM
brick33308
• • •
p.70 #12 · p.70 #12 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Camera aperture is f2 and lens is wide open at 1.4. AF-C and flexible focus-L. I'm in Budapest shooting outdoors in foggy low daylight.

Dec 20, 2016 at 05:04 PM
CE33

p.70 #13 · p.70 #13 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

If anyone was wondering (I know I was) the TAP works fine with the A6500, and you can use the touchscreen to select where you want it to focus. Between the technology in this camera and adapter, I can't help but be amazed by the fact that I can have AF, stabilization, and touch capabalities with lenses that were released decades ago.

Dec 20, 2016 at 05:06 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.70 #14 · p.70 #14 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

CE33 wrote:
If anyone was wondering (I know I was) the TAP works fine with the A6500, and you can use the touchscreen to select where you want it to focus. Between the technology in this camera and adapter, I can't help but be amazed by the fact that I can have AF, stabilization, and touch capabalities with lenses that were released decades ago.

Good point. It's reassuring to know that our TAP will potentially get even better as new functionality and CDAF speed gets upgraded in future models.

Dec 20, 2016 at 05:41 PM
genji
• • • •
p.70 #15 · p.70 #15 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

brick33308 wrote:
Camera aperture is f2 and lens is wide open at 1.4. AF-C and flexible focus-L. I'm in Budapest shooting outdoors in foggy low daylight.

Also try to set focus on vertical (rather than horizontal) lines. And perhaps switch to flexible focus-M.

Dec 21, 2016 at 03:54 AM
genji
• • • •
p.70 #16 · p.70 #16 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Fred Miranda wrote:
Good point. It's reassuring to know that our TAP will potentially get even better as new functionality and CDAF speed gets upgraded in future models.

Fingers crossed that they can crack Eye AF.

Dec 21, 2016 at 03:56 AM
mortyb
• • •
p.70 #17 · p.70 #17 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

As well as the battery drain issue.

Dec 21, 2016 at 04:04 AM
genji
• • • •
p.70 #18 · p.70 #18 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

mortyb wrote:
As well as the battery drain issue.

Absolutely. Can't believe I forgot that.

Dec 21, 2016 at 04:17 AM
jankap
• •
p.70 #19 · p.70 #19 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

candreyo wrote:

Did you experience light leaking near the wobble?
Jan

Dec 21, 2016 at 04:34 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.70 #20 · p.70 #20 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

genji wrote:
Fingers crossed that they can crack Eye AF.

I would be happy if CDAF was more reliable across the frame.

Dec 21, 2016 at 10:38 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.