Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              52      
       54              74       75       end

Archive 2016 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

k-h.a.w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.53 #1 · p.53 #1 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

mark1958 wrote:
K-H Making those changes made a huge difference with my Sonnar at F1.5. However with AF-C at F2.8 was not as quick to snap into focus as with AF-S. At F2.8 accuracy of hitting focus very high. I guess some trade offs here.

Thanks Mark. AF-S is also better when it's getting dimmer and dimmer. Eventually AF-C will not achieve focus any longer while AF-S still does.
However, for a really thin DOF only AF-C will actually focus correctly. If you hold the shutter button halfway down for too long, AF-S will be out of focus again.
So for precise focus in portrait shots, with really fast wide open lenses, focusing speed is secondary in my book.

K-H.

Sep 17, 2016 at 08:29 PM
BrandonSi
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.53 #2 · p.53 #2 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

So sadly I learned that the K&F MD and FD adapters do NOT work.

The K&F R adapter does work fine.

I had an extra FD (Leicaist) on order, but not an MD one (which most of my lenses are.. grr..).

Edit - K&F Leica R adapter doesn't work with 35-70. can't focus past 60mm or into macro mode, lens is blocked moving back towards the sensor.

Edited on Sep 17, 2016 at 09:17 PM · View previous versions

Sep 17, 2016 at 08:45 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.53 #3 · p.53 #3 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

BrandonSi wrote:

I had an extra FD (Leicaist) on order, but not an MD one (which most of my lenses are.. grr..).

Thanks. What's the problem? Doesn't fit? Doesn't get to infinity? TIA.

K-H.

Sep 17, 2016 at 09:02 PM
BrandonSi
• • •
p.53 #4 · p.53 #4 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

k-h.a.w wrote:
Thanks. What's the problem? Doesn't fit? Doesn't get to infinity? TIA.

K-H.

Well, R doesn't work either.. R won't get to infinity, but fits fine.

MD/FD do not fit on the techart adapter. The bottom bulge in the techart makes contact with the adapters before they mount flush.

Sep 17, 2016 at 09:18 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.53 #5 · p.53 #5 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

BrandonSi wrote:
Well, R doesn't work either.. R won't get to infinity, but fits fine.

MD/FD do not fit on the techart adapter. The bottom bulge in the techart makes contact with the adapters before they mount flush.

Many thanks for the specifics. That's good to know.

K-H.

Sep 17, 2016 at 09:20 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.53 #6 · p.53 #6 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Your second shot you have EFSC on . Faster than 1/1000 you want it off. Why the heavy top right vignetting

Luvwine wrote:

Had some fun today messing around with the Techart and a couple of lenses. It makes casual portrait pics a lot easier than manual focusing:

ZM 35

http://m8.i.pbase.com/o9/91/505291/1/164102848.eNDOVVsC._DSC6188.jpg

http://m9.i.pbase.com/o9/91/505291/1/164102849.wRlOpAg6._DSC6169.jpg

Leica 90/AA

http://m1.i.pbase.com/o9/91/505291/1/164102851.mKomhQMj._DSC6163.jpg

http://m5.i.pbase.com/o9/91/505291/1/164102855.lPiMWvkS._DSC6143.jpg

Sep 17, 2016 at 09:32 PM
mark1958
• • • • •
p.53 #7 · p.53 #7 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Well i am learning something new everyday.. Thanks for the explanation. My results are consistent with everything you said. I just tried my Voigt 75mm 2.4 with a camera quest L39 to M adapter and the techart AF is extremely quick.. I was using AF-S.

k-h.a.w wrote:
Thanks Mark. AF-S is also better when it's getting dimmer and dimmer. Eventually AF-C will not achieve focus any longer while AF-S still does.
However, for a really thin DOF only AF-C will actually focus correctly. If you hold the shutter button halfway down for too long, AF-S will be out of focus again.
So for precise focus in portrait shots, with really fast wide open lenses, focusing speed is secondary in my book.

K-H.

Sep 17, 2016 at 10:16 PM
genji
• • • •
p.53 #8 · p.53 #8 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

BrandonSi wrote:

Edit - K&F Leica R adapter doesn't work with 35-70. can't focus past 60mm or into macro mode, lens is blocked moving back towards the sensor.

I decided to play it safe with the X->M adapters so I purchased the Leicaist brand figuring that, since they were the ones that Techart sells, they'd be more likely to work properly. So far I've received Contax C/Y, Konica AR, Leica R, and Olympus OM adapters. Yesterday I ordered M42 and Minolta MD adapters and I might eventually order a Canon FD.

I've just checked the C/Y, AR, LR, and OM adapters on an A7R II and each functions properly, including focusing to infinity. I also checked the LR adapter with the VE 35-70/4 and it's also fine: focusing at all FLs from 35mm to 70mm with macro mode working too. Focusing is slow (as you'd expect, it's a large, slow lens) but even in macro mode things eventually come into sharp focus.

So, although the Leicaist X->M adapters are more expensive, they do seem to work well. I get the most pleasure, though, from using fast 50mm M & LTM lenses which focus accurately almost at native speed with the TAP (version 4).

Interestingly, the Konica AR->M adapter has an arc of about 160 degrees milled (routed?) out at the bottom so that the adapter can actually be mounted on the Techart PRO. The Konica AR mount had the shortest flange focal distance (40.5mm) of the mainstream SLRs whereas it was 47mm for the Leica R mount. And although the other Leicaist adapters have the tapered section before the M bayonet (to avoid interference with the TAP), there is no room for that with the AR adapter.

When I saw the bare metal I initially thought there was something wrong with the adapter but it was easy enough to figure out why it was there. My next thought was to wonder if the Techart people were subcontracting this final phase of manufacturing the AR adapter to Guy "The Dremel Meister" Mancuso. But I realized that, although this would result in a superior finish, the shipping costs to and from the US would make the AR adapter too expensive.

Sep 18, 2016 at 12:20 AM
virtualrain
• • •
p.53 #9 · p.53 #9 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Sorry to bud in here, but read a good chunk of this thread and am very interested in trying this. My fav focal length is 50mm so I need some recommendations for a fast 50mm to pair with this. Ideally something that's f/1.1 or f/1.2 but would consider up to f/1.4-1.5 as long as it has character and good bokeh. And ideally not much more than $1000. I have the FE-55 for sharp photos so sharpness is not a key consideration here. Any suggestions?

Sep 18, 2016 at 02:24 AM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.53 #10 · p.53 #10 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

virtualrain wrote:
Sorry to bud in here, but read a good chunk of this thread and am very interested in trying this. My fav focal length is 50mm so I need some recommendations for a fast 50mm to pair with this. Ideally something that's f/1.1 or f/1.2 but would consider up to f/1.4-1.5 as long as it has character and good bokeh. And ideally not much more than $1000. I have the FE-55 for sharp photos so sharpness is not a key consideration here. Any suggestions?

Have a look at the long thread on the Zeiss c-sonnar ZM 1.5/50; an ideal character adjunct to the FE 55 (though look well first - you either buy it for its bokeh or you hate it for same....as with all character lenses.)

It's about 1200 but can be found for a good deal less from Austria (Leica by Boris for example)

Alternatively you can save almost a grand by trying to track down a good clean copy of the Jupiter-3: a Soviet era copy of the 1.5/50 sonnar.

It may even be worth considering Lomography's New Jupiter 3 which has modern coatings and allegedly some sharpness improvements over a vintage Jupiter-3 while keeping the same look (sort of like the c-sonnar compared to the o,d Zeiss sonnar that the Jupiter copied. It's $600 or so which is a lot more than a used Jupiter but a lot less than a c-sonnar.

For about the same as a New Jupiter you could get a reasonable condition Zeiss opton 1.5/50 sonnar and revel in owning the original lens that began all this (or a Zeiss Jena one)

A really cheap option but slower than you want is a Helios 44 2/58 It was originally a copy if the Biotar 2/58 a double gauss (planar-biotar) with some funky bokeh wide open. 44-2 is most liked for character. 44M6 and M7 had a evolved into pretty sharp modern coated planar type lenses. No point getting one of those given what you have (great for a student on a budget though)

If you really want faster, there are a number of slr 1.2/50 lenses for your budget. Personally I like the look of the OM Zuiko 1.2/50 wide open. Others will speak for their preferred options.

You could also get a Mitakon 0.95/50 for your budget. It sure has character and is usable - just - wide open. Very hard to focus open though. If I could have used it on TAP I would have kept it, but have just sold....

Sep 18, 2016 at 02:48 AM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.53 #11 · p.53 #11 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

David, I really like the Mitakon 0.95/50. Too bad it's not available in M mount so that one could use it with the TAP.
Well, it came out before the TAP.

K-H.

Sep 18, 2016 at 03:28 AM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.53 #12 · p.53 #12 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

https://photos.smugmug.com/KHW/Pics-by-Date/2015-08-27-A7RII50095-Mitakon/i-C3xNBM8/0/X3/_DSC2498_Windmills_7710x5225_3855x2613_2933x1988-X3.jpg

A7r2 + Mitakon 50/0.95 FE

K-H.

Sep 18, 2016 at 03:36 AM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.53 #13 · p.53 #13 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

https://photos.smugmug.com/KHW/Pics-by-Date/2015-08-27-A7RII50095-Mitakon/i-qr5HWpr/0/2542x1695/_DSC2525_f%3D0.95%201_6111x4076_2981x1988-2542x1695.jpg

A7r2 + Mitakon 50/0.95 FE. IIRC this was shot at f/0.95.

K-H.

Sep 18, 2016 at 03:55 AM
BrandonSi
• • •
p.53 #14 · p.53 #14 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

genji wrote:
I decided to play it safe with the X->M adapters so I purchased the Leicaist brand figuring that, since they were the ones that Techart sells, they'd be more likely to work properly. So far I've received Contax C/Y, Konica AR, Leica R, and Olympus OM adapters. Yesterday I ordered M42 and Minolta MD adapters and I might eventually order a Canon FD.

I've just checked the C/Y, AR, LR, and OM adapters on an A7R II and each functions properly, including focusing to infinity. I also checked the LR adapter with the VE 35-70/4 and it's also fine: focusing at
...Show more

Good to know.. Sounds like for AR / FD / MD / LR adapter, people should definitely go Leicaist. Actually, I'd go far enough to say if you have to order an adapter from China anyway (i.e. no local source to order an adapter), just get the Leicaist brand. It sucks waiting two weeks to finally get adapters that don't work.

Would you mind taking a photo of your Konica adapter? I may try to replicate that cut-out with my dremel since these adapters that don't fit are useless to me now. I doubt I'll be able to fix the R issue with infinity, but maybe the others will be OK once I've sliced my way through a bit of plastic.

Edited on Sep 18, 2016 at 07:12 AM · View previous versions

Sep 18, 2016 at 05:51 AM
thomed11

p.53 #15 · p.53 #15 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Thank You for this! I was about to order it, you saved me some $$.

Appreciate the list of adapters that fit/don't fit/work/don't work. I'll order accordingly!

Sep 18, 2016 at 06:43 AM
genji
• • • •
p.53 #16 · p.53 #16 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

BrandonSi wrote:
Good to know.. Sounds like for AR / FD / MD / LR adapter, people should definitely go Leicaist. Actually, I'd go far enough to say if you have to order an adapter from China anyway (i.e. no local source to order an adapter), just get the Leicaist brand. It sucks waiting two weeks to finally get adapters that don't work.

Would you mind taking a photo of your Konica adapter? I may try to replicate that cut-out with my dremel since these adapters that don't fit are useless to me now. I doubt I'll be able to fix the R
...Show more

Perfectly happy to do that. It's late down here and I'd rather not do an iPhone picture so I'll do it properly tomorrow afternoon (I'm planning to see the "Sully" movie tomorrow morning).

Sep 18, 2016 at 07:40 AM
genji
• • • •
p.53 #17 · p.53 #17 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

virtualrain wrote:

You might want to consider the Canon LTM 50mm f/1.4 ("the Japanese Summilux"). The going price seems to be around USD300-350 for an excellent copy and I can tell you from my own experience it's great with the Techart PRO. The only downside is its non-standard 48mm filter thread but both 48mm filters and 48-49mm step-up rings are readily available. I use an original Canon 48mm UV filter, a 48-49mm step-up ring, and a 49mm lens hood with mine.

Sep 18, 2016 at 07:55 AM
virtualrain
• • •
p.53 #18 · p.53 #18 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

DavidBM wrote:
Have a look at the long thread on the Zeiss c-sonnar ZM 1.5/50; an ideal character adjunct to the FE 55 (though look well first - you either buy it for its bokeh or you hate it for same....as with all character lenses.)

It's about 1200 but can be found for a good deal less from Austria (Leica by Boris for example)

Alternatively you can save almost a grand by trying to track down a good clean copy of the Jupiter-3: a Soviet era copy of the 1.5/50 sonnar.

It may even be worth considering Lomography's New Jupiter 3 which has modern coatings
...Show more

Thanks for this wealth of information. I'll start investigating some of these.

Sep 18, 2016 at 10:18 AM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.53 #19 · p.53 #19 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Tried the Techart again today. Was at a choir rehearsal (of a choir I am in) and used a Leica R 180/2.8 apo. Light was not great, but still got a higher percentage of keepers than I would have gotten by manual focus (for quick snapshots). Too bad eye AF does not work, but face detect does. These were at F 2.8. Don't know if it matters, but I noticed after that the camera was set to F2.2 rather than F2 for the techart....

http://m3.i.pbase.com/o9/91/505291/1/164111963.w5zF6zP7._DSC6213.jpg

http://m8.i.pbase.com/o9/91/505291/1/164111968.2zyh4WWC._DSC6220.jpg

http://m5.i.pbase.com/o9/91/505291/1/164111965.9keQh3tW._DSC6197.jpg

Sep 18, 2016 at 05:11 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.53 #20 · p.53 #20 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Congrats. Well done. True, Eye-AF doesn't work, but one still can put focus on the nearest eye!

K-H.

Sep 18, 2016 at 05:22 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.