Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              51      
       53              74       75       end

Archive 2016 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

k-h.a.w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.52 #1 · p.52 #1 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

arduluth wrote:
Not sure how well that Nikon 200-400/4 will work. It's big, weighs seven pounds, has no aperture ring, and uses internal focus.

Great question. The TAP is the wrong adapter for this lens.

As the Nikon 200-400/4 is an AF-S lens with internal focusing motor you need the Commlite Nikon to Sony autofocus adapter. I have one for my AF-S lenses. One sets aperture in the Sony camera.

As compared to the TAP, that feels to me like a beta unit, the Commlite feels more like an alpha unit.

For older non-AF-S lenses, be they manual of AF, the TAP works well with the Leicaist Nik-L/M adapter.
These older AF lenses use the focusing motor in the Nikon camera as they don't have their own internal one.

K-H.

Sep 17, 2016 at 01:32 PM
ecarlino
• • •
p.52 #2 · p.52 #2 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Fred Miranda wrote:
It's just an option for owners of discontinued AF lenses with unrepairable focusing units. It won't put any strain on TAP since it will be moving the camera instead of the lens.

seems like that would be funny to watch someone pressing the AF button (or the shutter half way) and the camera is moving around and their finger keeps coming off the button and the TAP stops moving, repeat - might be a bit of a pain to do if the camera body is moving around......

not to mention keeping your eye against the viewfinder

Sep 17, 2016 at 02:10 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.52 #3 · p.52 #3 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

ecarlino wrote:
seems like that would be funny to watch someone pressing the AF button (or the shutter half way) and the camera is moving around and their finger keeps coming off the button and the TAP stops moving, repeat - might be a bit of a pain to do if the camera body is moving around......

not to mention keeping your eye against the viewfinder

On tripod works well with remote control though - wireless or with cable..

K-H.

Sep 17, 2016 at 02:14 PM
BrandonSi
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.52 #4 · p.52 #4 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Finally! Fresh off the China boat.. only took 2 weeks :\

FD/MD/R -> M

Sep 17, 2016 at 03:30 PM
thomed11

p.52 #5 · p.52 #5 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Thanks to all for replies about the Nikon VR I 200-400 and the TAP. Yes, I anticipated those problems. I realize would have to use support for the lens and let the body move. I'm thinking monopod? Also, I honestly forgot the lens doesn't have aperture on it. (Lens is at home.) Maybe as suggested this could work with an aperture control adapter? I just ordered Fotodiox, Nikon to M, maybe ordered the wrong thing. And, yes, I expect to have to "pre-focus" the lens. I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment, but I do remember that I love the 200-400 lens that I already own, as opposed to the Tamron 150-600 A mount with Lea3 adapter, it's acceptable, but certainly not the same image as the 200-400 plus Nikon D3 body I used to use with it. Really just looking for an affordable, acceptable long lens substitute. (Well, the 200-400 VR1 is affordable coz i already own it

I also have an old Sigma 135mm Macro lens I'm hoping will work with this? And, Nikon 70-200 VR2, and 14-24 Nikon WA Zoom (bubble lens), and, less notably, Nikon 50, 1.8.

I'll also try it out today with my M mount Biogon Zeiss WA, 2.8 21mm.

This sure is fun, just seeing what's possible!

Curious what you're all doing about lens profiles in Lightroom? I assume creating your own? How about in DxO Optics Pro 11?

Sep 17, 2016 at 04:09 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.52 #6 · p.52 #6 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

thomed11 wrote:
Thanks to all for replies about the Nikon VR I 200-400 and the TAP. Yes, I anticipated those problems. I realize would have to use support for the lens and let the body move. I'm thinking monopod? Also, I honestly forgot the lens doesn't have aperture on it. (Lens is at home.) Maybe as suggested this could work with an aperture control adapter? I just ordered Fotodiox, Nikon to M, maybe ordered the wrong thing. And, yes, I expect to have to "pre-focus" the lens. I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment, but I do remember that I love
...Show more

"I just ordered Fotodiox, Nikon to M, maybe ordered the wrong thing."

Well, if it is the Fotodiox adapter I got that lets me control the aperture then there may be an issue.
Mine doesn't fit on the TAP.

K-H.

Sep 17, 2016 at 04:15 PM
thomed11

p.52 #7 · p.52 #7 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Well, if I do try it, I'll certainly handle the lens, and not the camera body.

Maybe a non-zoom long Nikon F lens, 300 2.8, or some such, would work better? Would IBIS work with this, you think? I notice the provided settings don't go any longer than 135mm on the TAP. Would the "beta app" allow almost any lens length to be put in, thus enabling IBIS at the longer lens length?

I know, I know, "try it and you'll see."

Sep 17, 2016 at 04:25 PM
thomed11

p.52 #8 · p.52 #8 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

I ordered the cheap $30 one, no aperture control. I thought I saw a fairly expensive one, that wasn't Fotodiox, w/aperture control? But, as you suggest, better to just go Commlite?

Any one have this Novoflex adapter, would it likely fit/work?

https://www.amazon.com/Novoflex-Adapter-Aperture-Control-LEM-NIK-NT/dp/B007ENJD72/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474148200&sr=8-1&keywords=nikon+to+leica+adapter+aperture+control

Edited on Sep 17, 2016 at 04:38 PM · View previous versions

Sep 17, 2016 at 04:27 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.52 #9 · p.52 #9 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

3-axis IBIS should work, 5-axis might, provided the adapter can transmit the actual focus distance in addition to the focal length to the Sony camera.

Depending on the lenses I own, I have both the TAP and the Commlite adapter.
Those two adapters complement each other nicely.

The additional adapters that let me reach infinity with the TAP are:

• Leicaist Nik-L/M
• Leicaist MD-L/M
• Nikon - L/M K-F Concept
• Novoflex LEM/LER (Have the much cheaper Leicaist version on order)

These adapters fit, but fail getting to infinity:

• Fotodiox Nikon-L/M
• Nikon-LM Japan

This adapter fits precisely, but I have not checked if it can reach infinity:

• Fotodiox LR-LM

These adapters simply don't fit. They can't be attached:

• Novoflex LEM/NIK-NT
• Nikon(G)-LM

K-H.

Edited on Sep 17, 2016 at 05:11 PM · View previous versions

Sep 17, 2016 at 04:36 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.52 #10 · p.52 #10 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Had some fun today messing around with the Techart and a couple of lenses. It makes casual portrait pics a lot easier than manual focusing:

ZM 35

http://m8.i.pbase.com/o9/91/505291/1/164102848.eNDOVVsC._DSC6188.jpg

http://m9.i.pbase.com/o9/91/505291/1/164102849.wRlOpAg6._DSC6169.jpg

Leica 90/AA

http://m1.i.pbase.com/o9/91/505291/1/164102851.mKomhQMj._DSC6163.jpg

http://m5.i.pbase.com/o9/91/505291/1/164102855.lPiMWvkS._DSC6143.jpg

Sep 17, 2016 at 04:39 PM
teh_rebel
• • •
p.52 #11 · p.52 #11 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

OpticalFlow wrote:
Did you prefocus the 105mm roughly? The Techart probably doesn't have enough travel to focus a tele focus lens onto close targets when the lens is set to infinity. Normal and wide lenses require less travel, so typically don't need to be prefocused.

just got another camera and was able to test the Nikkor 10.5 again .. this time it works! Nice to finally be able to use this lens

Sep 17, 2016 at 04:48 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.52 #12 · p.52 #12 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

thomed11 wrote:
I ordered the cheap $30 one, no aperture control. I thought I saw a fairly expensive one, that wasn't Fotodiox, w/aperture control? But, as you suggest, better to just go Commlite?

Any one have this Novoflex adapter, would it likely fit/work?

https://www.amazon.com/Novoflex-Adapter-Aperture-Control-LEM-NIK-NT/dp/B007ENJD72/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474148200&sr=8-1&keywords=nikon+to+leica+adapter+aperture+control

I have the Novoflex LEM/NIK-NT. It can't be attached.
The Aperture-Control-Ring interferes with the protruding part of the TAP motor cover.

K-H.

Sep 17, 2016 at 05:14 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.52 #13 · p.52 #13 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

k-h.a.w wrote:
3-axis IBIS should work, 5-axis might, provided the adapter can transmit the actual focus distance in addition to the focal length to the Sony camera.

Depending on the lenses I own, I have both the TAP and the Commlite adapter.
Those two adapters complement each other nicely.

The additional adapters that let me reach infinity with the TAP are:

• Leicaist Nik-L/M
• Leicaist MD-L/M
• Nikon - L/M K-F Concept
• Novoflex LEM/LER (Have the much cheaper Leicaist version on order)

These adapters fit, but fail getting to infinity:

• Fotodiox Nikon-L/M
• Nikon-LM Japan

This adapter fits precisely, but I have not checked if it can reach infinity:

• Fotodiox
...Show more

Interesting question: can TAP transmit the distance to plane of focus to the camera? Tap knows the focal length of the lens, and possibly it knows the amount by wnhich it is extended. On the assumption that the lens itself is set to infinity it can probably guess for most lenses; but if the lens is pre focused all bets are off.

On the adapter question I have two k&f concept (c/y and OM) and one Leicaist (M42) The Leicaist seems maybe a touch nicer build, nut the K&Fs go to infinity, exhibit no skew, are nicely treated on the inside and seem robust. They are a fair bit cheaper (especially if you buy a few) so I'd reccomend them for TAP.

Sep 17, 2016 at 05:57 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.52 #14 · p.52 #14 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

http://techartpro.com, quote:

"SUPPORTS 3-AXIS STABILIZATION"
Yaw, Pitch, and Roll.

K-H.

Sep 17, 2016 at 06:26 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.52 #15 · p.52 #15 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

k-h.a.w wrote:
http://techartpro.com, quote:

"SUPPORTS 3-AXIS STABILIZATION"
Yaw, Pitch, and Roll.

K-H.

Good to know. It means that there is no penalty to setting the IBIS focal length manually.

Sep 17, 2016 at 06:32 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.52 #16 · p.52 #16 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

DavidBM wrote:
Good to know. It means that there is no penalty to setting the IBIS focal length manually.

Luckily one can select additional focal lengths that way.
The selection of the TAP is rather limited.

K-H.

Sep 17, 2016 at 06:36 PM
mark1958
• • • • •
p.52 #17 · p.52 #17 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

I have noticed with the Zeiss 50mm 1.5 Sonnar and the Zeiss 35mm 1.4.. that the AF misses more times wide open compared to my other lenses. Seems like the quickest and most accurate AF occurs between aperture 2-4 or 5.6. I have kept my camera on single focus AF middle size, Does the Phase detect area or Disp. Cont AF area make a difference Have tried both on or off and not sure a big difference? I have tried to follow this thread but are there any other of the settings that are critical to be set a specific way (besides camera aperture 2)?

Sep 17, 2016 at 07:00 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.52 #18 · p.52 #18 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

mark1958 wrote:
I have noticed with the Zeiss 50mm 1.5 Sonnar and the Zeiss 35mm 1.4.. that the AF misses more times wide open compared to my other lenses. Seems like the quickest and most accurate AF occurs between aperture 2-4 or 5.6. I have kept my camera on single focus AF middle size, Does the Phase detect area or Disp. Cont AF area make a difference Have tried both on or off and not sure a big difference? I have tried to follow this thread but are there any other of the settings that are critical to be set a specific
...Show more

For shooting a fast lens, like f/1.2 or f/1.4, wide open I use AF-C and Flexible Spot: S and give it plenty of time (holding the shutter button halfway down) to focus precisely. On the A7r.2 I use IBIS and have selected Phase Detection AF and Phase Detect. Area ON.

K-H.

Sep 17, 2016 at 07:14 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.52 #19 · p.52 #19 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

https://photos.smugmug.com/KHW/Pics-by-Date/2016-08-27-A7r25812-Noct/i-VmsFPNS/0/2549x1912/_DSC5805_Paul_6050x4537_2880x2160_2651x1988-2549x1912.jpg

A7r.2+58/1.2 Noct-NIKKOR + K&F F-M + TECHART LM-EA7 adapters.
Focus was on the eye to the left of the image, the person's right eye.
To be that precise requires Flexible Spot: S IMHO.

K-H.

Sep 17, 2016 at 07:18 PM
mark1958
• • • • •
p.52 #20 · p.52 #20 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

K-H Making those changes made a huge difference with my Sonnar at F1.5. However with AF-C at F2.8 was not as quick to snap into focus as with AF-S. At F2.8 accuracy of hitting focus very high. I guess some trade offs here.

Sep 17, 2016 at 08:16 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.