Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6              74       75       end

Archive 2016 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

k-h.a.w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

fsiagian wrote:
It may have been discussed but I could not find it. Will it work with the original A7?

Not very well! I tried my A7r. Unusable!
Only 3 cameras are supported at this time: A7 II, A7r II, a6300.
The cameras need to have PDAF.
Well, that's my understanding anyway.

K-H.

Aug 16, 2016 at 09:52 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

k-h.a.w wrote:
Not very well! I tried my A7r. Unusable!
Only 3 cameras are supported at this time: A7 II, A7r II, a6300.
The cameras need to have PDAF.
Well, that's my understanding anyway.

K-H.

The A7R has CDAF only and that's a problem for this adapter. However, the original A7 has PDAF (117 points). It may work with it, but the PDAF on the A7II and A7RII is way better.

Aug 16, 2016 at 10:15 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Thanks Fred.

K-H.

Aug 16, 2016 at 10:18 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

k-h.a.w wrote:
Thanks Fred.

K-H.

I'm just guessing it could work with the A7 somewhat.
However, according to TechArt, the adapter is only compatible with Sony A7(II) & Sony A7R(II) & A6300.

Aug 16, 2016 at 11:19 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

How is it at manual focus do you still get closer focusing than the lens itself.

Aug 16, 2016 at 11:37 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

GMPhotography wrote:
How is it at manual focus do you still get closer focusing than the lens itself.

I don't know for sure so maybe others can chime in.

According to the manual, there is an aperture combination, (I believe it's f/40) that let's you stay at the adapter MFD (furthest away from the mount) when pressing a custom button and going into manual focus mode.

Similarly aperture f/36 moves the adapter to infinity and f/45 stays a present position when entering MF mode.

So, move aperture to f/40 and take a picture. That will set the adapter to MFD as soon as you activate MF mode. I believe it will save this setting as a preset until you change again.

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:03 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Well can't wait to try it. My Zeiss 35mm 1.4 ZM came today. Wow

Heading out to test in morning

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:26 AM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Fred Miranda wrote:
I don't know for sure so maybe others can chime in.

According to the manual, there is an aperture combination, (I believe it's f/40) that let's you stay at the adapter MFD (furthest away from the mount) when pressing a custom button and going into manual focus mode.

Similarly aperture f/36 moves the adapter to infinity and f/45 stays a present position when entering MF mode.

So, move aperture to f/40 and take a picture. That will set the adapter to MFD as soon as you activate MF mode. I believe it will save this setting as a preset until you change
...Show more

Thanks Fred. From the printed manual, quote:

"
F36 adapter parking infinity when switch to MF
F40 adapter parking closest when switch to MF
"

K-H.

Aug 17, 2016 at 01:10 AM
S Sobrinsky

p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Some observations after a few months of use...

No egregious battery drain, and it's always on the camera (A7II). Sometimes sits in the bag unused for days. Maybe I'm lucky.

Locked up on two separate occasions over a month apart; in both instances, popped the battery, put it back in, good to go.

Can be quirky (like when setting lens focal lengths for exif); the IOS app is still vaporware.

If you do input the lens focal length, it will correctly set the IBIS (if IBIS is on and set to auto).

Agree with Fred's "beta" comments. Not perfect, but for what it can do, pretty amazing. Not for anything mission critical. I wouldn't use it for a wedding or a championship game.

Works well with lenses from 17mm up through 85mm that I've tried. Works with longer lenses too, but you may have to prefocus with these. Used it with a Contax 180mm 2.8 Sonnar which weighs 815 grams without the adaptors, and it works, but in this case you hold the lens, and the camera body moves back and forth!

Used with a Nikkor 50mm 1.2 wide open, it always nails the focus; many more keepers than when I try to manually focus that lens with my aging eyes.

The Contax 35-70/3.4 has turned out to be a real joy to use. I was never crazy about 1-touch focusing/zoom type lenses, but when used on the TechArt, you can zoom AND rough focus if needed very easily with one hand. One of my favorite combos when I have enough light.

The focus bumpers on my FD 20mm 2.0 are shot; was contemplating sending it out to get fixed, but when using the TechArt to focus it doesn't matter.

Regarding M mount adapters for other mounts, the ones TechArt sells are branded "Leicaist". You can purchase these on eBay; until recently they were going for about $30 USD, but the price has been creeping up lately. Still cheaper than TechArt, depending on which mount you need.

If you plan on using FD lenses, you really need the Leicaist adaptor (unless you're good with a hacksaw and dremel).

Aug 17, 2016 at 05:35 AM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

S Sobrinsky wrote:

No egregious battery drain, and it's always on the camera (A7II). Sometimes sits in the bag unused for days. Maybe I'm lucky.

Locked up on two separate occasions over a month apart; in both instances, popped the battery, put it back in, good to go.

Can be quirky (like when setting lens focal lengths for exif); the IOS app is still vaporware.

If you do input the lens focal length, it will correctly set the IBIS (if IBIS is on and set to auto).

Agree with Fred's "beta" comments. Not perfect, but for what it can
...Show more

Have you used adapters other than "Leicaist" and you give more details why the Leicaist adapter is needed for FD lenses? Very happy to hear the news with the Contax 35-70! Thanks.

Aug 17, 2016 at 05:43 AM
S Sobrinsky

p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

I didn't try other brand adaptors, once I read of issues by early purchasers/reviewers. I ordered three from TechArt with the adaptor, and once I received them and saw what they were, purchased additional on eBay.

The issues are the lens release button and the motor housing bulge on the Techart adaptor. If the base of the xx to M lens adaptor you are using is too large, as many are, it will be prevented from mounting, either by the button or bulge in the way. FD adaptors are worse, as they usually have an open/closed ring for the diaphram, which gets in the way

The Leicaist adapters are tapered at a sharp angle where they connect to the TechArt, and easily clear both the button and bulge.

If you look at the second picture in this listing, you can see the taper and lens release button that I'm talking about:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leicaist-Canon-EOS-FD-lens-to-Leica-M-camera-Ring-for-M9-with-TECHART-LM-EA7-/252470781875?hash=item3ac86e67b3:g:NWQAAOSwnNBXaObp

Aug 17, 2016 at 06:04 AM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Fred Miranda wrote:
I'm just guessing it could work with the A7 somewhat.
However, according to TechArt, the adapter is only compatible with Sony A7(II) & Sony A7R(II) & A6300.

The PDAF in the original A7 and A6000 is only activated, if the camera sees a native E mount lens or a native E mount lens is emulated. In the case of the A7 mkII, A7R mkII and the A6300 PDAF is also activated, if the camera sees an LA-EA3 adapter, or one is emulated. The LA-EA3 does not activate PDAF in the original A7 nor in the A6000. This leads me to believe that the Techart Pro adapters emulates an LA-EA3 rather than a native E mount lens.

The Sigma MC-11 activates PDAF in the A7 and A6000 with Sigma "Global Vision" lenses by emulating a native E mount lens, rather than emulsting an LA-EA3 adapter.

Aug 17, 2016 at 06:53 AM
Wilfredo
• • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

I'M WONDERING WHEN USING THIS WITH A LEICA M LENS ON A SONY A7RII, IF THE LENS NEEDS TO BE WIDE OPEN FOR IT TO WORK?

THANKS!

Aug 17, 2016 at 06:56 AM
fsiagian
• • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Thanks Fred and K-H. I will give it a try. If it does not work well on A7, may be it's time to upgrade to A7II.

Aug 17, 2016 at 07:01 AM
d-intrigue
• •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

It won't work on the A7, don't bother trying.

Aug 17, 2016 at 08:00 AM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

As I said above, the Techart Pro emulates an LA-EA3, so no PDAF with the A6000 nor with the original A7.

This from techartpro.com:

February 11, 2016 at 10:51 pm Reply
Why did you said that your adapter is not recommended for A7 ?
A7 (first version) use both contrast focus AND PHASE collimators. And focus pretty fast with sony AF lenses. You will loose most of the market, as it is the most selling full frame device with Sony E mount.

Admin
February 11, 2016 at 11:54 pm Reply
Hi Sir, since Sony does not open 3rd party lens PDAF support for A7 and so the focusing is not good with A7. We do not recommend to use this adapter with A7.

Edited on Aug 17, 2016 at 08:07 AM · View previous versions

Aug 17, 2016 at 08:07 AM
d-intrigue
• •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Wilfredo wrote:
I'M WONDERING WHEN USING THIS WITH A LEICA M LENS ON A SONY A7RII, IF THE LENS NEEDS TO BE WIDE OPEN FOR IT TO WORK?

THANKS!

No.

Aug 17, 2016 at 08:07 AM
d-intrigue
• •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

GMPhotography wrote:

It can do this in AF mode too.

In normal adapter usage, the lens focus ring is set to infinity.

If the normal close focus of the lens is say 0.4m, then with the lens set to infinity, the adapter will extend the lens outwards to attain that normal 0.4m close focus distance.

However if the lens is set to something closer than infinity, say it is set to 0.4m, the adapter will extend the lens forward to attain focus, and the net result is closer focus than the lens is otherwise capable.

I.e., a built-in variable extension tube.

My 35/2.8 C/Y normally has 0.4m, but with the adapter it will focus to about 0.25m (from the subject to the sensor plane.)

Aug 17, 2016 at 08:20 AM
Atlasman2
• • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Fred Miranda wrote:
The A7R has CDAF only and that's a problem for this adapter. However, the original A7 has PDAF (117 points). It may work with it, but the PDAF on the A7II and A7RII is way better.

I have an older Techart EF to Sony that worked on my A7—the 70-200mm f4 L IS worked using PDAF.

Aug 17, 2016 at 08:22 AM
d-intrigue
• •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

S Sobrinsky wrote:

Same as my experience; there are at least two of us lucky ones.

I never bother with lens EXIF. To clarify, there is one iOS app available, but it is the firmware update app.

Works well with lenses from 17mm up through 85mm that I've tried. Works with longer lenses too, but you may have to prefocus with these. Used it with a Contax 180mm 2.8 Sonnar which weighs 815 grams without the adaptors, and it works, but in this case you hold the lens, and the camera body moves back and forth!

Yes, I find prefocus necessary for longer focal lengths.

Used with a Nikkor 50mm 1.2 wide open, it always nails the focus; many more keepers than when I try to manually focus that lens with my aging eyes.

Indeed. That's the true value of this adapter; when it attains focus, it's absolutely accurate, without having to use any focus assist tools that interrupt the framing process.

I use it on Flexible Spot-M most of the time.

The Contax 35-70/3.4 has turned out to be a real joy to use. I was never crazy about 1-touch focusing/zoom type lenses, but when used on the TechArt, you can zoom AND rough focus if needed very easily with one hand. One of my favorite combos when I have enough light.

Dream lens.

Edited on Aug 17, 2016 at 08:38 AM · View previous versions

Aug 17, 2016 at 08:36 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.