Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              37      
       39              73       74       end

Archive 2016 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

BrandonSi
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.38 #1 · p.38 #1 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

GMPhotography wrote:
Crap may have to send you mine to update . I don't know anyone who uses that. Lol

I think you can by old android phones off of craigslist pretty cheap. Just a thought.

Sep 08, 2016 at 11:56 PM
tammons
• •
p.38 #2 · p.38 #2 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

It doesn't have to be a phone.

I use my android tablet.

Sep 09, 2016 at 12:00 AM
navmannz
• •
p.38 #3 · p.38 #3 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Fred Miranda wrote:
Perfect. I'm glad the configuration app finally works! I will try it tonight. I really want to remove f/11 for 15mm and 135mm to retain AF (instead of switching to MF)

It's very easy, and being able to auto set IBIS focal length and exif is brilliant - that and the new f/w focusing speed makes the ApoLanthar 180 a formidable bit of glass for moving objects.

Unfortunately it looks as if you can't alter the apertures against which lenses are registered, although shifting from auto to manual focus is easy. Given that F/2 is always used for shooting, I'd like to be able to shift the whole sequence of lens tags down into the range say F/4 to F/11, as this would significantly reduce the amount of wheel twiddling required when changing a lens. Perhaps Kevin from Techart could comment on the feasibility of that?

Sep 09, 2016 at 12:31 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.38 #4 · p.38 #4 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Whoah version 4 is impressive!
I now can use the small AF point, and use it off centre, and get near-native speed even in moderately low light.
That's a game changer.

Sep 09, 2016 at 12:32 AM
davewolfs
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.38 #5 · p.38 #5 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

How hard is it to write an app that runs on Windows - android WTF.

Sep 09, 2016 at 12:41 AM
bjornthun
• • •
p.38 #6 · p.38 #6 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Fred Miranda wrote:
I know, I had to borrow my daughter's Samsung android for this. Kevin told me that Apple is not allowing this app on the apple store.

The Techart Update app is indeed in the Apple app store.

You need to search for the iPhone app, and run the iPhone app on your iPad (or iPhone), since there is no iPad app. If you search for "iPad only" apps, you're not going to find it.

Sep 09, 2016 at 12:45 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.38 #7 · p.38 #7 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

bjornthun wrote:
The Techart Update app is indeed in the Apple app store.

You need to search for the iPhone app, and run the iPhone app on your iPad (or iPhone), since there is no iPad app. If you search for "iPad only" apps, you're not going to find it.

We were referring to the configuration app. (Not update app)

The Config app is only available for Android currently:
http://techartpro.com/0831-LM-EA7-Config.apk

Sep 09, 2016 at 12:47 AM
genji
• • •
p.38 #8 · p.38 #8 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

k-h.a.w wrote:
Equally attractive, but quite different, my Summilux-R 80/1.4 shines with the TechArt Pro adapter.

K-H.

I'm (happily) surprised to learn this. The Summilux-R 80/1.4 weighs 700g which the Techart FAQ says is the limit. I'm still waiting for my TAP to be delivered and I can't imagine how it would work with a heavy lens. Do you hold the lens and let the adapter move the camera?

Sep 09, 2016 at 12:51 AM
bjornthun
• • •
p.38 #9 · p.38 #9 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Fred Miranda wrote:
We were referring to the configuration app. (Not update app)

The Config app is only available for Android currently:
http://techartpro.com/0831-LM-EA7-Config.apk

I stand corrected. That's a real bummer.

Sep 09, 2016 at 12:56 AM
tammons
• •
p.38 #10 · p.38 #10 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

I use it with an adaptall 80-200mm F2.8 which weighs 1220 grams. More with a tripod foot.

Obviously with lenses that heavy, they are never used with the full weight of the lens hanging on the adapter. More like the lens is supported by a hand or a tripod and the body and adapter moves rather than the lens. I have not had a problem so far except the focus throw is long on that lens. That's kind of irritating at times.

Edited on Sep 09, 2016 at 01:14 AM · View previous versions

Sep 09, 2016 at 12:57 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

DavidBM
• • • •
p.38 #11 · p.38 #11 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

genji wrote:
I'm (happily) surprised to learn this. The Summilux-R 80/1.4 weighs 700g which the Techart FAQ says is the limit. I'm still waiting for my TAP to be delivered and I can't imagine how it would work with a heavy lens. Do you hold the lens and let the adapter move the camera?

Yes!

Sep 09, 2016 at 12:59 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.38 #12 · p.38 #12 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

davewolfs wrote:
How hard is it to write an app that runs on Windows - android WTF.

Why even a app. Do something for computers . I keep saying this in Sonys case for custom functions and menu items. This is easy stuff . I don't get it. I want to change the factory setting. f11 is a usable aperture it chaneges the ExIf to 15mm. That's not what I want. I would use F16 for a 15mm , F18 for. 18 and so on.

Sep 09, 2016 at 01:17 AM
k-h.a.w
• • •
p.38 #13 · p.38 #13 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

genji wrote:

Thanks. Sure, a really heavy lens, like the APO-Telyt-R 280/4, I mount on a tripod and the adapter has to handle the weight of the camera. In this case I operate the camera remotely.

However, I prefer to shoot the Summilux-R 80/1.4 handheld with my A7r2 with battery grip.
Holding the camera vertical, the adapter can easily lift the borderline heavy lens when switching on the camera.

When shooting I try to support the lens with my left hand without interfering with the focusing movements of the adapter. I firmly grip the camera with my right hand to support most of the weight. That seems to work quite well.

One has to pay attention though to the focus distance to subject. From infinity to 10 feet or so, I leave the mechanical focus of the lens set to infinity. For more typical, closer portrait shots one has to manually pre-focus the lens so that focus can be obtained within the focus throw reach of the adapter.

For pretty heavy lenses I always keep on eye on how the adapter moves in and out.
Obviously if a heavy lens pulls out the top shiny part of the adapter more than the bottom part one is pushing ones luck. YMMV.

K-H.

Edited on Sep 09, 2016 at 02:04 AM · View previous versions

Sep 09, 2016 at 01:40 AM
genji
• • •
p.38 #14 · p.38 #14 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Very, very helpful. Thank you!

k-h.a.w wrote:
Thanks. Sure, a really heavy lens, like the APO-Telyt-R 280/4, I mount on a tripod and the adapter has to handle the weight of the camera. In this case I operate the camera remotely.

However, I prefer to shoot the Summilux-R 80/1.4 handheld with my A7r2 with battery grip.
Holding the camera vertical, the adapter can easily lift the borderline heavy lens when switching on the camera.

When shooting I try to support the lens with my left hand without interfering with the focusing movements of the adapter. I firmly grip the camera with my right hand to support most of the weight.
...Show more

Sep 09, 2016 at 01:56 AM
rji2goleez
• • • • •
p.38 #15 · p.38 #15 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

So, with the config app, right now we can only configure F11, f13, f14 and f16? I want to be able to modify what's already there for FL at F20 (28mm) and F22 (35mm).

Sep 09, 2016 at 01:59 AM
k-h.a.w
• • •
p.38 #16 · p.38 #16 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

So, please let me see whether I understand this discussion.
F2 is chosen to take pictures with the aperture mechanically set by the lens.
Shouldn't then all the other f numbers in the camera be available for other programming functions?

K-H.

Sep 09, 2016 at 02:18 AM
rji2goleez
• • • • •
p.38 #17 · p.38 #17 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

The configuration apps seems to work . . . somewhat. I programmed F14 to be for my Leica R28/2.8. I entered the FL and Max aperture and left MF Parking at Infinity and After Shoot to AF. I took a picture with camera set to F14 to set the program. I then took a picture and uploaded to LR CC.

The resulting image shows the following info in Library Mode:

Filename.ARW
1/60 sec at f / 2.0, ISO640
28mm (DT 40 F2.8 SAM)

I get that the aperture shown reflects the camera body set aperture. I'm glad to see that 28mm shows in EXIF and I assume that IBIS will follow suit in Auto mode. Great. It just looks funny to see "DT 40 F2.8 SAM" for every lens. It is progress however to be able to set some parameters. But if the app allows us to configure a max aperture, why isn't this showing up someplace. For example, I configured F16 for my ZM35/1.4. Whereas I entered a max aperture of f/1.4 I don't see it showing up anywhere in Exif. I shot an image at F/1.4. Camera aperture shows f/2.0. Lens description still says DT 40 F2.8 SAM. Am I missing something here?

Sep 09, 2016 at 02:19 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.38 #18 · p.38 #18 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

rji2goleez wrote:
The configuration apps seems to work . . . somewhat. I programmed F14 to be for my Leica R28/2.8. I entered the FL and Max aperture and left MF Parking at Infinity and After Shoot to AF. I took a picture with camera set to F14 to set the program. I then took a picture and uploaded to LR CC.

The resulting image shows the following info in Library Mode:

Filename.ARW
1/60 sec at f / 2.0, ISO640
28mm (DT 40 F2.8 SAM)

I get that the aperture shown reflects the camera body set aperture. I'm glad to see that 28mm shows in EXIF and
...Show more

Here is the explanation I got from TechArt about the "Max aperture" setting:

"The reason for the max. aperture column existing in the manual is because
of the initial intention of changing the aperture value record into EXIF
by using the app. However, at the end we found that the exposure were changed if we set the
f-stop to value other than wide open. We are still trying to figure out
why and so the aperture adjustment function is now blocked."

-----

At least we can get the focal length in the EXIF. Usually knowing the focal length, I am able to know which lens I used and then use LensTagger to update the rest of the data for all images in a batch. Luckily I mainly use the same apertures for my lenses with TAP.

Sep 09, 2016 at 03:03 AM
rji2goleez
• • • • •
p.38 #19 · p.38 #19 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Fred Miranda wrote:
Here is the explanation I got from TechArt about the "Max aperture" setting:

"The reason for the max. aperture column existing in the manual is because
of the initial intention of changing the aperture value record into EXIF
by using the app. However, at the end we found that the exposure were changed if we set the
f-stop to value other than wide open. We are still trying to figure out
why and so the aperture adjustment function is now blocked."

-----

At least we can get the focal length in the EXIF. Usually knowing the focal length, I am able to know which lens I
...Show more

Same for me. I'm glad to get the right focal length as a reference to the lens used. I also follow up with lenstagger. Hopefully they'll be able to figure this out. They should also open other apertures setting for more configurations.

Sep 09, 2016 at 03:10 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.38 #20 · p.38 #20 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

rji2goleez wrote:
Same for me. I'm glad to get the right focal length as a reference to the lens used. I also follow up with lenstagger. Hopefully they'll be able to figure this out. They should also open other apertures setting for more configurations.

It would be very helpful if they would fix the exposure bug when changing the 'camera' aperture.
We could then match the camera aperture to the lens aperture and that info would be written to the EXIF. Then in LensTagger we would only add the lens model if even needed.

Sep 09, 2016 at 03:20 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password