Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5              74       75       end

Archive 2016 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

bluloo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

I'm still not clear on how this AF functions if there's a dumb adapter between it and your non M-mount lens.

(I don't want to order the wrong adapter/wrong type of X->M adapter)

Aug 16, 2016 at 11:39 AM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

ken.vs.ryu wrote:
Can this af large lenses that are tripod mounted by allowing the body to move?

Yes, it can. For tele-lenses you may need to manually pre-focus so that the AF focusing is within the range of the adapter's reach of 4.5 mm.

K-H.

Aug 16, 2016 at 01:03 PM
dumplinknet
• •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

That's not true. It's worse than 1% every 6-8 hour. If that's the case, I have a majorly defective unit.
At that rate, that's about the drainage of turning the camera off and not using it while having the adapter off. With the adapter on and the camera off its more like 5-10% every hour. Yes i said that right. And yes, I've even tested it and monitored it.

We need more owners of the adapter to comment on this.

Fred Miranda wrote:
I'm in contact with TechArt and they confirmed there is a battery drain issue. It's almost imperceptible but it's there. Perhaps 1% loss every 6-8 hours. They are working on fixing this bug on a future upgrade.
They wrote: "Since we are not working with Sony but doing reverse engineering, clearing bugs is not as easy as it may look."

Aug 16, 2016 at 01:06 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

bluloo wrote:
I'm still not clear on how this AF functions if there's a dumb adapter between it and your non M-mount lens.

(I don't want to order the wrong adapter/wrong type of X->M adapter)

It works the same way as for an M lens.
An electrical contact is only between camera and the TechArt adapter.

The secondary adapter, example F to M, must not interfere with the somewhat protruding motor of the TechArt adapter. Unfortunately though I found that to be the case for some Nikon G to M adapters that also can control the lens aperture. My adapters of this kind don't fit. But I have a simple Fotodiox F to M adapter that fits. However, when using that and the TechArt adapter for example with my Noct-NIKKOR 58/1.2 lens, focusing cannot quite reach infinity. The combined adapters are simply too thick. :-(

K-H.

Aug 16, 2016 at 01:22 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

dumplinknet wrote:
That's not true. It's worse than 1% every 6-8 hour. If that's the case, I have a majorly defective unit.
At that rate, that's about the drainage of turning the camera off and not using it while having the adapter off. With the adapter on and the camera off its more like 5-10% every hour. Yes i said that right. And yes, I've even tested it and monitored it.

We need more owners of the adapter to comment on this.

It could be that bluetooth never shuts off on your unit.

I will definitely test it when it's in my hands. I'm actually getting mine tomorrow.
At least they admit it's an issue and are working on a solution. As Guy wrote, for now, the workaround is to remove the adapter if not using it for a while.

Aug 16, 2016 at 01:58 PM
bluloo
• • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

k-h.a.w wrote:
It works the same way as for an M lens.
An electrical contact is only between camera and the TechArt adapter.

The secondary adapter, example F to M, must not interfere with the somewhat protruding motor of the TechArt adapter. Unfortunately though I found that to be the case for some Nikon G to M adapters that also can control the lens aperture. My adapters of this kind don't fit. But I have a simple Fotodiox F to M adapter that fits. However, when using that and the TechArt adapter for example with my Noct-NIKKOR 58/1.2 lens, focusing cannot quite reach infinity.
...Show more

Ah, ok, thanks.
Well, I ordered two X->M adapters direct from Techart, to be on the safe side, along with the LMEA7 from B&H.

Hope it lives up to the hype.

Aug 16, 2016 at 02:13 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

bluloo wrote:
Ah, ok, thanks.
Well, I ordered two X->M adapters direct from Techart, to be on the safe side, along with the LMEA7 from B&H.

Hope it lives up to the hype.

Thanks. Oh, it doesn't. To me it feels like a beta testing unit.
But I don't mind as I nevertheless derive quite a bit of successful use of it at this early stage of its development. :-)

K-H.

Aug 16, 2016 at 04:27 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

k-h.a.w wrote:
Thanks. Oh, it doesn't. To me it feels like a beta testing unit.
But I don't mind as I nevertheless derive quite a bit of successful use of it at this early stage of its development. :-)

K-H.

The whole idea is 'beta' to begin with.
Look at what they were able to accomplish though. This is all reverse engineering.
Someone had a great idea and made it happen. I really like manual lenses but to be able to have accurate AF when needed is a great flexibility. I wish my Loxias could do that.

Aug 16, 2016 at 04:51 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Fred Miranda wrote:
The whole idea is 'beta' to begin with.
Look at what they were able to accomplish though. This is all reverse engineering.
Someone had a great idea and made it happen. I really like manual lenses but to be able to have accurate AF when needed is a great flexibility. I wish my Loxias could do that.

Thanks Fred. I agree.

I find it utterly amazing that I can take a manual only Leica Rigid Summicron 50/2 rangefinder lens from 1956, the Sony A7r2 from 2015, and the Techart Pro adapter from 2016 and can shoot images with autofocus. :-)

K-H.

Aug 16, 2016 at 05:22 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Here is one of my first shots with that system.

https://photos.smugmug.com/KHW/Pics-by-Date/2016-04-29-A7r2502-Rigid/i-5rSqStj/1/O/_DSC4715_Portrait_4762x3176_1988x1326.jpg

K-H.

Aug 16, 2016 at 05:23 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Here is another one.

https://photos.smugmug.com/KHW/Pics-by-Date/2016-04-29-A7r2502-Rigid/i-NMFkpgt/1/O/_DSC4748_NYT_4015x2678_1988x1326.jpg

Yes, I could read the newspaper the gentleman is reading as well.

K-H.

Aug 16, 2016 at 05:26 PM
d-intrigue
• •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

had mine for several months, posted about it here

I only use adapted lenses, no native AF lenses. It's on the camera pretty much all the time, and haven't noticed any undue battery drain. Then again, I don't expect mirrorless cameras to act like DSLRs when it comes to batteries; I rotate 3 of them.

The firmware is still somewhat buggy, occasionally gets confused, requiring a power-down, or even unmounting/remounting the adapter. Currently using rev 3.

I find longer focal lengths require some manual focus assistance but once you're somewhat within the range (this is hard to quantify/describe) the adapter will lock focus pretty quickly. Under certain lighting conditions it's necessary to focus at a wider aperture, then stop down. But if there is good light it will focus quickly even stopped down.

Tested it with many M lenses including the 35/1.4 ZM (which is an unbelievable optic) but mostly use it with C/Y lenses: 28/2.8, 35/2.8, 50/1.7, 35-70/3.4, 135/2.8, 80-200/4.

I think of it as a 'focus confirmation' adapter, if that makes sense, for those who have adapted lenses in the past using chipped adapters with DSLRs. Except, it actually *does* confirm accurate focus, and with AF, of course.

Being able to absolutely nail focus with normal viewing (i.e., without requiring peaking or focus assist magnification) is a real game-changer.

Having a built-in variable extension tube is super-cool, as well.

It's not perfect by any means but I'm more than happy with it. Someone who expects it to work as quickly and seamlessly as native AF lenses might be disappointed, but anyone who has experimented with adapted lenses should be very, very pleased.

This is with the CY 80-200/4

http://restoration35.com/DSC04771.jpg

Edited on Aug 16, 2016 at 05:52 PM · View previous versions

Aug 16, 2016 at 05:32 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Yup, exactly. I also helps to set up the camera in a such a way that one can quickly switch to manual focus if necessary.

K-H.

Aug 16, 2016 at 05:38 PM
d-intrigue
• •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Yes, I have the AF/MF toggle set to center button, C1 enables IBIS, and C4 chooses IBIS focal length (suggested by @Chad Wadsworth.) I don't bother setting lens EXIF.

Aug 16, 2016 at 05:45 PM
d-intrigue
• •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

BTW here are the lens weights (including the C/Y-M adapter.)

80-200/4 775g
135/2.8 651g
50/1.7 275g
35-70/3.4 569g
35/2.8 318g
28/2.8 356g

Aug 16, 2016 at 06:01 PM
suteetat
• • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Fred Miranda wrote:
I'm in contact with TechArt and they confirmed there is a battery drain issue. It's almost imperceptible but it's there. Perhaps 1% loss every 6-8 hours. They are working on fixing this bug on a future upgrade.
They wrote: "Since we are not working with Sony but doing reverse engineering, clearing bugs is not as easy as it may look."

I guess that it is not a big deal. Yesterday morning, I was at 98% battery capacity. With the adapter attached, camera off, at 4pm, it was still 98%. In the evening, I took several shots. At bed time, battery was 95%. This morning, battery was still at 95% so in 24H period, I lost 3% and took about 5-6 pictures in the process. (battery was full then I lost 2% during upgrading firmware).
I wonder if older firmware was worse? My impression in the past was that it consumed battery quite a bit more than usual but I thought that it was just because of the power requirement by the adapter but did not think of drainage when camera is off.
But for now, I would not hesitate to leave the adapter attached when I go out to shoot a whole day though.

Edited on Aug 16, 2016 at 06:44 PM · View previous versions

Aug 16, 2016 at 06:08 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

suteetat wrote:
I guess that it is not a big deal. Yesterday morning, I was at 98% battery capacity. With the adapter attached, camera off, at 4pm, it was still 98%. In the evening, I took several shots. At bed time, battery was 95%. This morning, battery was still at 95% so in 24H period, I lost 3% and took about 5-6 pictures in the process. (battery was full then I lost 2% during upgrading firmware).

Batteries are simply not an issue for me.
I have 5 Sony cameras (NEX-5N,7, a6300, A7r/2) that use the same 10 batteries.
The two A7r/2 cameras use 2 batteries each in their battery grips.
So 7 batteries are in use. The other 3 in 3 chargers.

In one afternoon I once shot 256 GB of videos with my A7r2.
The 3 chargers had no problem keeping up with the battery use.

Aug 16, 2016 at 06:28 PM
Jack Thompson
• •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

You are taking a journey abroad. You have an A7RII and a techart. You can take 3 lenses. What three are you taking?

Aug 16, 2016 at 08:16 PM
suteetat
• • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Jack Thompson wrote:
You are taking a journey abroad. You have an A7RII and a techart. You can take 3 lenses. What three are you taking?

Depends on where I go and what kind of pictures I expect to take. But in general, Leica WATE, 50/2 apo will be in the bag for sure. Small and light. The third lens, really depends on location but it could be Zeiss 35/1.4 zm, Leica M 90/2, may be Zeiss 135/2 apo sonnar. If there is a chance for a little milky way shot, Batis 18/2.8. Recent trip made me think 70-300 might be handy also. 70-300 does not need Techart and 135/2 apo will be too heavy for Techart though.

Aug 16, 2016 at 08:58 PM
fsiagian
• • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

It may have been discussed but I could not find it. Will it work with the original A7?

Aug 16, 2016 at 09:27 PM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.