Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              27      
       29              74       75       end

Archive 2016 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

k-h.a.w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.28 #1 · p.28 #1 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

naturephoto1 wrote:
If you remember Paul and Phigment Technology and the Leica M to Sony NEX adapter, Paul had enough issues with the adapter, the electical connections, and failures between the adapters and the cameras that he finally decided to stop the manufacture and support of the adapters after running out of sufficient parts. Hopefully this will not be the case with the TAP adapter.

Rich

Thanks Rich. No, I don't think so.

I was one of the first and still have my Phigment adapter. Never really use it these days much.
From the get go, when I got the TAP in April, I always pointed out that it had the feel of a beta tester unit, as was my expectation anyway.
I personally don't mind, having been involved in technology development projects for a long time.

I use the TAP on A7r2 and a6300 all the time for fun photography.
Users of the TAP need to have appropriate expectations.
It probably will take the company a number of years before the TAP becomes sufficiently robust for serious time-sensitive production work.
Just look at Leica. They never managed to fix all the bugs in their M9 (I own) or M240.
Considering the circumstances IMHO the TAP company seems to be doing fine.

K-H.

Sep 01, 2016 at 02:04 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.28 #2 · p.28 #2 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Oh I'm certainly fine . Have plenty of backup with me. Even another adapter plus a bunch of FE glass. I just wanted to use my 85 and looks great

k-h.a.w wrote:
Guy, relying on the TAP for a time-critical shoot to me seems like a recipe for disaster.
I like and use the TAP a lot, but that's for having fun with special lenses.

K-H.

Sep 01, 2016 at 02:17 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.28 #3 · p.28 #3 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

k-h.a.w wrote:
Thanks Rich. No, I don't think so.

I was one of the first and still have my Phigment adapter. Never really use it these days much.
From the get go, when I got the TAP in April, I always pointed out that it had the feel of a beta tester unit, as was my expectation anyway.
I personally don't mind, having been involved in technology development projects for a long time.

I use the TAP on A7r2 and a6300 all the time for fun photography.
Users of the TAP need to have appropriate expectations.
It probably will take the company a number of years before
...Show more

Hi K-H,

I still use my Phigment Adapter. It hasn't been reading properly or consistenly when I change lenses any more particularly between my Minolta CLE 40mm f2 Summicron and my WATE. At this point though I normally leave my WATE mounted to the Phigment Adapter and I believe that it is now reading consistently that praticular lens. My other M mount lenses are usually used with my Hawk's Factory Helicoid V5 that I use to mount several lenses; this gives me 2 M mount lenses that are loaded on a NEX adapter all of the time.

Rich

Sep 01, 2016 at 02:39 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.28 #4 · p.28 #4 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Thanks Chad! That's a relief!
Yes I got them because I've always been pleased with the OM-E K&Fs I have: very accurate and snug, just need a bit of flocking. But I wasn't sure that the M mount ones would work with Teachart because of the potential compatibility issues. So that's great news!

Chad Wadsworth wrote:
I have both K&F adapters you mention below and they are excellent on the Techart Pro (TAP). K&F are making a nice product at a good price point.

I had ordered a Fotodiox OM to M adapter and returned it immediately due to the sloppy fit - it was so bad that I had light leaks. The K&F is nice and snug.

I'm using the OM 50/1.8 and the 21/3.5 with nice results.

Sep 01, 2016 at 05:33 PM
fsiagian
• • • •
p.28 #5 · p.28 #5 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

For those who just received your TAP, what version is the firmware? Thx.

Sep 01, 2016 at 08:09 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.28 #6 · p.28 #6 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

So I shot about 80 avionics parts today with my ZM 85 and the Tap and outside my couple glitches it was really nice shortening the minmum close focusing on this lens which normally is .9m and it really lends itself to cover a wide variety of product size to even like a 6 in by 6 inch part so that was really handy as I know if I used my GM 85 I would had to do a lot of switching with extension tubes. I only had to do it once when I got to some parts that where more like 3 in x 3 in. Which was quite good. Also I focused on manual for the whole job because I was shooting at F11 and it was just faster and easier than using AF in just overhead lighting which is a little dim for AF but did use AF on some of the smaller parts to get adapter to extend out. I'm using Godox AD 360 battery strobes so no modeling light. Anyway I think having this close focusing is really a nice feature.

Anyway nice tool but still early on it. Needs to be more stable and a little faster and let's change the codes. They can't use F11 as a code that's a working aperture. Hope to see some updates soon.

My report for the day

Sep 01, 2016 at 09:11 PM
mark1958
• • • • •
p.28 #7 · p.28 #7 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

It happens to me as well. Have to power on and off and the manual to AF and sometimes the LCD to eye LCD also changes

GMPhotography wrote:
I'm shooting product today and some issues. Twice now everything dies and once just went from manual to AF on its own. The dying one is weird I mean full dead . Have to power off than on.

I'm in a controlled shooting too. Studio

So rule of thumb for me carry my Fotosy adapter which I have with me. Not good

Sep 01, 2016 at 10:05 PM
S Sobrinsky

p.28 #8 · p.28 #8 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

BrandonSi wrote:
Anyone tested M42 lenses at all? I imagine they'll work just fine, assuming the M42/M adapter and the flange (or lack thereof) get along with the few lenses I have. I'm strangely excited to see the Helios 44M autofocus..

Helios 44M-2 works as well as any other 50mm+/- lenses I've used (a strange looking rig though). Also tried 44M-6 and Industar 50mm 3.5, and both focus well. Tried Zeiss Jena 135 3.5, and as others have said with longer focal lengths, you need to prefocus this lens.

Looking at this picture made me think of a couple things:

1. My M42 adapter is not centered properly; I've had this before with M42 adapters of other brands, but annoying nonetheless.

2. I seem to remember Roger Cicala of Lens Rentals writing a piece some time ago about how every lens adapter he tested would not meet specs for proper alignment of lens to camera. And here we are mounting adapters to adapters and then lenses on top. Don't get me wrong, I'm really loving what the TAP does and the lenses it lets me AF with; for most of what I use it for, don't care if the corners are uniformly sharp. But I don't think I'll run any centering or other tests on my combos...prefer to be blissfully ignorant.

Steve

Sep 01, 2016 at 10:11 PM
BrandonSi
• • •
p.28 #9 · p.28 #9 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

S Sobrinsky wrote:
Helios 44M-2 works as well as any other 50mm+/- lenses I've used (a strange looking rig though). Also tried 44M-6 and Industar 50mm 3.5, and both focus well. Tried Zeiss Jena 135 3.5, and as others have said with longer focal lengths, you need to prefocus this lens.

Looking at this picture made me think of a couple things:

1. My M42 adapter is not centered properly; I've had this before with M42 adapters of other brands, but annoying nonetheless.

2. I seem to remember Roger Cicala of Lens Rentals writing a piece some time ago about how every lens adapter he
...Show more

Nice! Good to hear the M42's are working out OK, though admittedly I only have a few (a few Takumar and a Mir). My CY 35-70 is coming in (going to compare the Vario-Elmarit 35-70 R F4 against it!) so I'm looking forward to trying that and some other CY lenses out on the TAP (I went through a Yashica phase, I think I have every Yashica 50 ML they made..).

If that goes well I may try and pick up an MD->M and FD->M and see what happens. I've got a few Kiron / Komine zooms (branded, and some Vivitar Series 1) that I'd like to play with as well.

I'm holding off to see how the adapters work as well.. I've got a Fotodiox coming for M42 and CY, and if those don't cut it I'll just go with the KF or Leicaist ones that everyone seems to have a good experience with.

Sep 01, 2016 at 10:28 PM
S Sobrinsky

p.28 #10 · p.28 #10 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

The CY 35-70 is a sweet lens, and I love using it as a walk-around on the TAP. Single ring/zoom focus works really well here. On the other hand, with a non-AF adapter, I prefer the separate zoom and focus rings of the Vario-Elmarit. And when you have both lenses side by side, as nicely made as the Zeiss is, the Leica is on another level, feeling like it was carved from a single block of unobtanium. As I recall, both were made in the same factory, but the feel is very different. Some say the Zeiss is a tad sharper, but I think that's splitting hairs. All I can say is the TAP has given mine new life. But to each their own - both are great. Leave the Steady shot set at 50mm.

One thing to watch out for, be sure the CY-M adapter you're using locks properly when you mount it to the lens; one of mine didn't until I fiddled with it, and you will cry if that zoom comes loose!

Steve

Sep 01, 2016 at 10:48 PM
BrandonSi
• • •
p.28 #11 · p.28 #11 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

S Sobrinsky wrote:
The CY 35-70 is a sweet lens, and I love using it as a walk-around on the TAP. Single ring/zoom focus works really well here. On the other hand, with a non-AF adapter, I prefer the separate zoom and focus rings of the Vario-Elmarit. And when you have both lenses side by side, as nicely made as the Zeiss is, the Leica is on another level, feeling like it was carved from a single block of unobtanium. As I recall, both were made in the same factory, but the feel is very different. Some say the Zeiss is a
...Show more

Thanks for the heads up on the adapter locking and steady shot setting!

I'm curious to see how the V-E and V-S compare. I like the colors and draw out of the Leica, but sharpness has never been there for me without some post-work. I'm curious to see how the Zeiss stacks up. I agree the Leica build is great, but the gear collector in me appreciates how the Zeiss would fit right in with the 28/50/85 CY set I've already got.. Who knows, maybe I'll keep them both. :P

Sep 01, 2016 at 10:55 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.28 #12 · p.28 #12 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

I agree that the CY35-70 was given a new life with the TAP. I now have a walk around zoom lens with AF and macro ability and it pairs well with my FE16-35. I now have a full field zoom kit that also includes the 70-400/G2 so with three lenses, the whole range from 16 to 400mm is covered all with AF. I shot the CY35-70 a lot last week and posted some yesterday in the FE image thread. With the TAP and AF the combo performed flawlessly.

Sep 02, 2016 at 01:43 AM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.28 #13 · p.28 #13 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

fsiagian wrote:
For those who just received your TAP, what version is the firmware? Thx.

Today I got the TAP adapter I ordered last weekend from Adorama. It came with firmware version 3.
I also have a TAP adapter that I got from China in April. That one I updated from firmware version 2 to 3.

K-H.

Sep 02, 2016 at 01:45 AM
BrandonSi
• • •
p.28 #14 · p.28 #14 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

I'm finding the TAP, at least on the CY 35-70, to be more of fine tune aid.. it seems to hunt / 'chip-chip-chip' quite a bit when using it was one would expect when using a regular AF lens.. what focusing mode do you guys use? I'm using AF-C, flexible medium on the center point.. I haven't spent too much time with it, but most of the time it seems like it's hunting. Every now and then i'll lock on and I'll see the green focus squares move all over on the focus area (I think I was trying AF-C 'center' then) but only maybe 20% of the time.

This wasn't in great light, but maybe ISO 1600, 1/50, f 3.4.

Maybe I need to check the firmware version.. edit - last tab on camera says v 03.

Sep 02, 2016 at 06:51 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.28 #15 · p.28 #15 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

BrandonSi wrote:
I'm finding the TAP, at least on the CY 35-70, to be more of fine tune aid.. it seems to hunt / 'chip-chip-chip' quite a bit when using it was one would expect when using a regular AF lens.. what focusing mode do you guys use? I'm using AF-C, flexible medium on the center point.. I haven't spent too much time with it, but most of the time it seems like it's hunting. Every now and then i'll lock on and I'll see the green focus squares move all over on the focus area (I think I was trying AF-C
...Show more

I'm not having that much trouble. I've been shooting AF-S flexible medium usually but not always on center. Clearly, it does great in good light. As light diminishes, yes, sometimes it hunts but many times it's not a problem on my combo.

Sep 02, 2016 at 07:50 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.28 #16 · p.28 #16 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

BrandonSi wrote:
I'm finding the TAP, at least on the CY 35-70, to be more of fine tune aid.. it seems to hunt / 'chip-chip-chip' quite a bit when using it was one would expect when using a regular AF lens.. what focusing mode do you guys use? I'm using AF-C, flexible medium on the center point.. I haven't spent too much time with it, but most of the time it seems like it's hunting. Every now and then i'll lock on and I'll see the green focus squares move all over on the focus area (I think I was trying AF-C
...Show more

I believe the accuracy and speed of the AF will depend on the aperture of the lens used with it. I have been using the adapter with fast prime Leica-M, Zeiss ZM and Voigtlander lenses and the AF of the adapter is impressive even for indoors under low lighting condition. Not only the Contax zoom has a slower aperture, it is variable, too.

Edited on Sep 02, 2016 at 07:57 PM · View previous versions

Sep 02, 2016 at 07:56 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.28 #17 · p.28 #17 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

The main issue I have with TAP is AF performance in very low light but if it locks, it's usually accurate. Even fast lenses (f/1.4) struggle a bit but it's still usable if you have patience and can afford to miss a shot. The constant crashes are also annoying. I would not recommend it for wedding photographers.
I find myself switching to MF when the light is very low.

Sep 02, 2016 at 07:57 PM
BrandonSi
• • •
p.28 #18 · p.28 #18 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Fred Miranda wrote:
The main issue I have with TAP is AF performance in very low light but if it locks, it's usually accurate. Even fast lenses (f/1.4) struggle a bit but it's still usable if you have patience and can afford to miss a shot. The constant crashes are also annoying. I would not recommend it for wedding photographers.
I find myself switching to MF when the light is very low.

Thanks.. I moved to the CY 50 1.4 and it was MILES better.. and then when I went to a brighter area it was really pretty good. I think it was probably the slow lens (f3.4) and low light that was causing issues. I'll give it a go with the 35-70 tomorrow in decent light.

Is there any issue with pre-focusing (moving closer than infinity) and then using it to focus? Seems like it gets a little 'fritzy' after doing that.. even after I move it back to infinity, like it kind of gets confused in its focusing routine.

What is that buzzing noise?! - Helios 44M

Sep 02, 2016 at 08:05 PM
BrandonSi
• • •
p.28 #19 · p.28 #19 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

S Sobrinsky wrote:
The CY 35-70 is a sweet lens, and I love using it as a walk-around on the TAP. Single ring/zoom focus works really well here. On the other hand, with a non-AF adapter, I prefer the separate zoom and focus rings of the Vario-Elmarit. And when you have both lenses side by side, as nicely made as the Zeiss is, the Leica is on another level, feeling like it was carved from a single block of unobtanium. As I recall, both were made in the same factory, but the feel is very different. Some say the Zeiss is a
...Show more

After playing with the CY 35-70 a bit, that's a perfect comparison on the build qualities. It was like Contax/Zeiss took a lens body of that era, put some nice optics / coating on it, and then improved the build quality a bit. Then Leica came along and was like 'OK children, nice work but let the adult show you how this is done'.. :P

Still comparing the output, but the Vario-Elmar is in a different category of build quality for sure.

Sep 03, 2016 at 07:27 AM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.28 #20 · p.28 #20 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

As I understand it there are three different Leica R 35-70 lenses, namely:

Leica Vario-Elmarit-R 35-70/2.8, only 200 were ever made, so unobtainium. http://leica.nemeng.com/018c.shtml

Leica Vario-Elmar-R 35-70/3.5
Leica Vario-Elmar-R 35-70/4

My understanding is the R 35-70/3.5 is the Leica branded version of the CY 35-70/3.5. Is this true?
I also read somewhere that the R 35-70/4 is optically better. Is this true?

I only have experience with the R 35-70/4 and like its IQ a lot.

K-H.

Sep 03, 2016 at 10:18 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.