Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              25      
       27              73       74       end

Archive 2016 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #1 · p.26 #1 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

bluloo wrote:
FYI

I've bought at least two of these Fotodiox Pro dumb adapters because they have (removable) tripod mounts, and they've worked fine on an A7II and A7RII - though I haven't done extensive testing - just normal use.
https://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Pro-Lens-Mount-Adapter/dp/B00VIVXJNK/

There are probably less expensive versions that are fine as well.

Note:
I forget which adapter, but one of mine will get light leaks, via the lens release tab on the adapter, under the right conditions.
Placing a finger or piece of tape over it is the quick fix. I'm guessing the more expensive adapters wouldn't suffer from such quirks.

There is some light leak with this fotodiox adapter. I have one and can confirm it.
Perhaps they fixed this with newer batches but it's uncertain.

Aug 30, 2016 at 03:09 PM
bluloo
• • •
p.26 #2 · p.26 #2 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

So, no battery drain this morning, but by later this afternoon, it was down to about 86%, with WiFi on and the TAP attached.

Aug 30, 2016 at 10:06 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.26 #3 · p.26 #3 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

bluloo wrote:
So, no battery drain this morning, but by later this afternoon, it was down to about 86%, with WiFi on and the TAP attached.

So, it went all night without battery drain with Airport "off" (wifi 'on')?

From morning to afternoon, you saw it down to 86%, but did you use the camera at all?

Aug 30, 2016 at 10:18 PM
Chad Wadsworth

Upload & Sell: Off
p.26 #4 · p.26 #4 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

So apologies if someone has already covered this but I don't have the time or patience to read back through the whole thread

I received my Kipon Sony A-mount to Leica M adapter earlier this week in the hopes of creating a replacement solution for the LA-EA4 adapter. Stacked on the Techart Pro, the A to M adapter conceivably would allow you to use your screw mount Sony and Minolta lenses without that pesky SLT mirror in the LA-EA4. Specifically I wanted to have fast PDAF with the ZA 135/1.8

In practice, the idea is both a success and failure.

First off, the Kipon does not physically mount on the Techart without some modification to either it or the Techart. I chose to tackle the Kipon - by removing the aperture adjustment ring from the adapter, it will then fit on the Techart and you can still adjust the aperture using the small lever built into the Kipon (see photo below).

With that first hurdle passed, I mounted the ZA 135 and started shooting. Initial reaction was positive but I soon realized that for this focal length and lens, the Techart required a significant amount of pre-focus. I found I was effectively manually focusing and then using the Techart for that final confirmation. The other negative, and this one most critical, was the sag in the adapter due to the weight of the Zeiss. This was to be expected but still a bummer.

So at the end of the day, I reassembled the Kipon and sent it back. If I had other, small A-mount lenses such as the 20/2.8 or the Minolta 35/2, I think this solution would gain you a little bit of AF speed over the LA-EA4 but you would be giving up precise aperture control with EXIF and suffering from the always present lockups of the Techart. Not worth it for me.

Maybe one of these days Sony will release a new adapter supporting screw drive lenses without the SLT but until then, this is the only AF solution on E mount besides the current LA-EA4 adapter.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8031/29240456552_b92547ef40_b.jpg

Aug 30, 2016 at 11:11 PM
bluloo
• • •
p.26 #5 · p.26 #5 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Fred Miranda wrote:
So, it went all night without battery drain with Airport "off" (wifi 'on')?

From morning to afternoon, you saw it down to 86%, but did you use the camera at all?

Airport was off (WiFi on). I checked this morning at 9:00, and it was at 100%.
The first time I used the camera late this afternoon, it was at about 86%.

I saw the same pattern previously as well.

Aug 31, 2016 at 12:02 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.26 #6 · p.26 #6 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Chad Wadsworth wrote:

So apologies if someone has already covered this but I don't have the time or patience to read back through the whole thread

I received my Kipon Sony A-mount to Leica M adapter earlier this week in the hopes of creating a replacement solution for the LA-EA4 adapter. Stacked on the Techart Pro, the A to M adapter conceivably would allow you to use your screw mount Sony and Minolta lenses without that pesky SLT mirror in the LA-EA4. Specifically I wanted to have fast PDAF with the ZA 135/1.8

In practice, the idea is both a success and failure.
...Show more

Thanks for the report Chad. I thought about doing something similar but using a Nikon version of the Zeiss 135/2 APO. I am sure it would work but as you described, a rough pre-focus is required for long focal lengths when using this adapter.
I'd say, after 85mm pre-focus is a must. I learned to change the lens focus setting from infinity to a closer distance (like 2 or 3m) based on my most common distances to the subject. (For example headshots)

Best,
Fred

Aug 31, 2016 at 12:18 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.26 #7 · p.26 #7 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

bluloo wrote:
Airport was off (WiFi on). I checked this morning at 9:00, and it was at 100%.
The first time I used the camera late this afternoon, it was at about 86%.

I saw the same pattern previously as well.

That's very odd. So, the amount of drain changes even when using the exact same camera settings...

Aug 31, 2016 at 12:23 AM
bluloo
• • •
p.26 #8 · p.26 #8 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Fred Miranda wrote:
That's very odd. So, the amount of drain changes even when using the exact same camera settings...

When I say same pattern, I mean, no drain overnight, and greater drain during the subsequent day, not the exact same level of battery loss.

Also, I wonder if this pattern might be related to a specific battery - i.e. it may drain "unevenly".
I've had Vivitar batteries in the camera, and there was no drain for a longer period of time (Airport mode on is the default for me.)

Aug 31, 2016 at 01:08 AM
bjornthun
• • •
p.26 #9 · p.26 #9 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Chad, thanks for the report on the Sony 135/1.8 ZA and the Techart adapter. It's very useful. I guess I'll stick with the LA-EA4 adapter for that lens.

Aug 31, 2016 at 01:24 AM
wstam
• •
p.26 #10 · p.26 #10 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Thanks to this thread, I have bought the Techart adaptor for my various M lenses on my A7rii. So far I am happy with lenses from 35mm to 90mm. The 21 SEM and 28 cron are not so good.

I am hoping to adapt a 24mm via a M adaptor on TAP. I had a C/Y 25mm years ago but not too impressed with it. Any good lenses in this range and not too big from OM, Pentax,.... that you have tried? What will be your recommendation?

Thanks.

Aug 31, 2016 at 06:00 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jeff Kott
• • •
p.26 #11 · p.26 #11 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

wstam wrote:
Thanks to this thread, I have bought the Techart adaptor for my various M lenses on my A7rii. So far I am happy with lenses from 35mm to 90mm. The 21 SEM and 28 cron are not so good.
Thanks.

Why do you think the 28 Cron doesn't work well? That's one of the lenses that has me considering the Techart adapter.

Aug 31, 2016 at 06:05 AM
wstam
• •
p.26 #12 · p.26 #12 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Jeff Kott wrote:
Why do you think the 28 Cron doesn't work well? That's one of the lenses that has me considering the Techart adapter.

Hi, I am referring to the first version. I must admit that I only tried it briefly on A7 before I sold the lens. You can see the test result of this lens on A7rii here:
Guide to Leica Wide Angle Lenses on Sony a7 Series Bodies

Which version of 28 Cron do you have? How do you find it on A7?

Thanks.

Aug 31, 2016 at 06:38 AM
k-h.a.w
• • •
p.26 #13 · p.26 #13 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Jeff Kott wrote:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1392833/2#13289242
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1392833/0#13246128

K-H.

Aug 31, 2016 at 06:42 AM
r2015

p.26 #14 · p.26 #14 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Quite a few of the cheaper adapters say that they will NOT work with the A7II and A7RII. My guess is that they will just be too tight. I had a cheap OM adapter that was fine on my A7, but frighteningly tight on the A7II, so I stopped using it. There are expensive ones that say they will work.

But I am going to spend a bit longer using the 10mm on the Techart Pro, because the manual adapters I think would work (Fotodiox with the orange ring to adjust the focus, or Novoflex, which might be machined sufficiently accurately to work) are expensive.

Maybe I should have got the other one, but faced with the choice between the VM version immediately, or over a month's wait for the E-mount, I went for the VM. The VM was also significantly less expensive, and that saving would almost cover the cost of an expensive manual adapter if I decided to go for one. So I do not regret my choice.

Someone asks about 24mm lenses. I have used an OM 24 f2.8 and it seems to work fine with the Techart-supplied LM-OM adapter. I know I am not as rigorous as some people in my demands of a lens, but this had had some excellent reviews on the web.

Aug 31, 2016 at 11:18 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.26 #15 · p.26 #15 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

If your not using the TAP and you want the same functions like close up than the Hawk m to e is the next best adapter . It's 179 new

Aug 31, 2016 at 11:51 AM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.26 #16 · p.26 #16 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

wstam wrote:
Hi, I am referring to the first version. I must admit that I only tried it briefly on A7 before I sold the lens. You can see the test result of this lens on A7rii here:
Guide to Leica Wide Angle Lenses on Sony a7 Series Bodies

Which version of 28 Cron do you have? How do you find it on A7?

Thanks.

Sorry, I thought there was a problem with the AF with the adapter, not a corner issue.

Yes, my version 4 28 Cron has poor corners on FF, but works great on my A6000. I was thinking of using the Techart with my 28 Cron on an A6300.

Aug 31, 2016 at 03:50 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.26 #17 · p.26 #17 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Jeff on the A6300 crop camera it should work great. Its a corner issue and yes it kills me we FF folks can't use it

Aug 31, 2016 at 03:51 PM
k-h.a.w
• • •
p.26 #18 · p.26 #18 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

The new 28 Summilux seems to work fine on a stock A7r2 though.

K-H.

Aug 31, 2016 at 04:21 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.26 #19 · p.26 #19 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Okay this is crazy. Here is the setup. ZM 85 F4 than the TAP than 2 Extension tubes and it still does AF. Minimum focus on this lens is not great to begin with .9 m. Now the second shot is my ZM 35 look how close it will focus. Its blurry but that is not the point. Im handheld at 1/8 second .

May have just found my macro

ILCE-7RM2    DT 40mm F2.8 SAM lens    35mm    f/2.0    1/8s    2000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Aug 31, 2016 at 05:18 PM · View previous versions

Aug 31, 2016 at 04:57 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.26 #20 · p.26 #20 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Here even better. And I wish there are many 100 dollar bills under the dollar.

ILCE-7RM2    DT 40mm F2.8 SAM lens    90mm    f/2.0    1/8000s    2000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Aug 31, 2016 at 05:04 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password