Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              74       75       end

Archive 2016 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

mark1958
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Mine is coming later this week but I wont be able to get until Monday

Aug 15, 2016 at 08:47 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

GMPhotography wrote:
Looks like we have to keep a eye on this. Maybe put in fresh charged battery overnight and check it in morning.

There are a few threads on this already so maybe some consolidation is in order:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1437116/0?keyword=techart#13614826

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1424869/0?keyword=techart#13514536

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1441368/0?keyword=techart#13648109

Aug 15, 2016 at 08:48 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

I'm a little worried old threads may confuse us since some of that was growing pains for it

Aug 15, 2016 at 09:00 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

mark1958 wrote:
Thinking through this=== The Z motion the adapter uses to focus has to be a bit different than the movement of the elements when manually focusing....Will this result in more distortion?

If the lens is designed with an FLE, then using the adapter for full-time focus would cause some performance degradation over using the lens' helicoid, yes. You could minimize that to a degree by getting the lens most of the way there manually and then using AF for fine focus control. Otherwise, the difference will be as impactful to lens performance as an extension tube.

There are quite a few lenses (m-mount and otherwise) that don't use an FLE, so the entire optical assembly moves as one unit. Those shouldn't be impacted, assuming the adapter is not flawed.

Aug 15, 2016 at 09:21 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

GMPhotography wrote:
Now this is all set for Leica M lenses so no adapters . Trying to learn more about these. IHave not been following. I have a Zeiss 35 1.4 ZM coming tommorrow. Yea I finally broke down and bought one. Little arm twisting from our fearless leader.
I have a casual wedding to shoot next week . Should be a fun lens

Even with the problems at wider apertures on the Sony sensors, the lens is an absolute resolution monster in the central two-thirds, and the edges and corners get reasonable by f/5.6 for landscapes. I think you will have fun with it at the wedding and beyond.

Aug 15, 2016 at 09:29 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Makes total sense. Thanks!

freaklikeme wrote:
If the lens is designed with an FLE, then using the adapter for full-time focus would cause some performance degradation over using the lens' helicoid, yes. You could minimize that to a degree by getting the lens most of the way there manually and then using AF for fine focus control. Otherwise, the difference will be as impactful to lens performance as an extension tube.

There are quite a few lenses (m-mount and otherwise) that don't use an FLE, so the entire optical assembly moves as one unit. Those shouldn't be impacted, assuming the adapter is not flawed.

Aug 15, 2016 at 09:43 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

freaklikeme wrote:
Even with the problems at wider apertures on the Sony sensors, the lens is an absolute resolution monster in the central two-thirds, and the edges and corners get reasonable by f/5.6 for landscapes. I think you will have fun with it at the wedding and beyond.

Made my day. Lol

I hope this is it. I think I could write a book just on 35mm lenses. Lol

Aug 15, 2016 at 09:45 PM
dumplinknet
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

The battery issue is a known issue that was brushed under the rug. No one seems to be talking about it. In fact, there been at lease 3,000 units shipped and there has been only a handful of reviews. Anyone noticed that?

Aug 15, 2016 at 10:37 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

dumplinknet wrote:
The battery issue is a known issue that was brushed under the rug. No one seems to be talking about it. In fact, there been at lease 3,000 units shipped and there has been only a handful of reviews. Anyone noticed that?

I will definitely test this as soon as I get the adapter. I don't doubt this could be a real problem but aside from your posts, I haven't seen any other reports on it.
Is it possible that this issue has already been fixed with a firmware upgrade?

Since you say it's a known issue, could you please share a link pointing to this discussion? Thank you!

Aug 16, 2016 at 12:02 AM
ZhanMing12
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

freaklikeme wrote:

I tested mine extensively with a modified A7rII and a few known high-performance FLEs (50 APO cron, 35 lux FLE, 75 cron). None of the lens gives any resolution trouble at what I would call portrait distance. The 75 cron does soften by a tiny bit at 0.7m, but that clears up once I shift the lens from infinity. Things really deteriorate wide open at macro distances, though. You can still get close to 1:1 with a wider lens and the adapter, which is pretty cool.

No Leica lenses except the WATE and MATE are internal focus which IMO is more problematic.

Aug 16, 2016 at 01:22 AM
ZhanMing12
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Nope, haven't noticed any battery drain. The battery gauge does display weird values at times but after a few clicks the percentages goes back to normal.

Aug 16, 2016 at 01:27 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

ZhanMing12 wrote:
I tested mine extensively with a modified A7rII and a few known high-performance FLEs (50 APO cron, 35 lux FLE, 75 cron). None of the lens gives any resolution trouble at what I would call portrait distance. The 75 cron does soften by a tiny bit at 0.7m, but that clears up once I shift the lens from infinity. Things really deteriorate wide open at macro distances, though. You can still get close to 1:1 with a wider lens and the adapter, which is pretty cool.

No Leica lenses except the WATE and MATE are internal focus which IMO is
...Show more

I'm not saying it will be particularly impactful for every shooting situation, or that every lens with an FLE will be impacted the same amount. FLEs are implemented differently. Some are like the Canon FD 85L or your Summicron 75, where the rear group remains static while the other groups move, or the Samyang TS 24/3.5, where the rear collection of groups move until about 3M when the front group also starts moving. Some are like the Touit 50 that moves multiple groups at different times in different directions. How tolerant all of those lenses are to extension tubes should vary.

I don't follow the logic on IF being a problem. Any lens could be internally focused if it had enough room in the body. Is there something consistent with IF lenses you think is the culprit? Like maybe having a front element or group FLE that remains static while the rear groups move?

Aug 16, 2016 at 02:12 AM
suteetat
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

dumplinknet wrote:

Hmmm.. I have not noticed this issue in the past although I have not used it all that often so far.
However, today, I left it on my A7r ii now for about 7.5 hours. So far, battery stayed at 98%, the same as it was this morning. This is with fw 3.0 .

Aug 16, 2016 at 04:24 AM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

+1

K-H.

Aug 16, 2016 at 04:38 AM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Can this af large lenses that are tripod mounted by allowing the body to move?

Aug 16, 2016 at 10:18 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

I'm worried about the fit with adapter if you have a L bracket does it impede at all

Aug 16, 2016 at 10:20 AM
thedigitalbean
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

GMPhotography wrote:
I'm worried about the fit with adapter if you have a L bracket does it impede at all

The adaptor works fine with the L bracket, doesn't impede. I used mine with the A7rII and the RRS L bracket and it was fine.

For others, you can buy new or you can buy mine which is like new for $300, its listed in the Buy & Sell

Aug 16, 2016 at 10:46 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

I'm in contact with TechArt and they confirmed there is a battery drain issue. It's almost imperceptible but it's there. Perhaps 1% loss every 6-8 hours. They are working on fixing this bug on a future upgrade.
They wrote: "Since we are not working with Sony but doing reverse engineering, clearing bugs is not as easy as it may look."

Aug 16, 2016 at 11:08 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Thanks . I did mention yours is for sale in the board. Someone needs to grab it. I'm just not sure it's for me because I do like to manual focus so I'll try it new and return if needed. I'm a weirdo so don't go my preference here. It's that old School mentality

thedigitalbean wrote:
The adaptor works fine with the L bracket, doesn't impede. I used mine with the A7rII and the RRS L bracket and it was fine.

For others, you can buy new or you can buy mine which is like new for $300, its listed in the Buy & Sell

Aug 16, 2016 at 11:31 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Really does not sound like a big deal. Just switch lens before you put it to rest for a period. Workaround number 1. Lol

Fred Miranda wrote:
I'm in contact with TechArt and they confirmed there is a battery drain issue. It's almost imperceptible but it's there. Perhaps 1% loss every 6-8 hours. They are working on fixing this bug on a future upgrade.
They wrote: "Since we are not working with Sony but doing reverse engineering, clearing bugs is not as easy as it may look."

Aug 16, 2016 at 11:32 AM
1       2      

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.