Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              11      
       13              74       75       end

Archive 2016 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.12 #1 · p.12 #1 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

rji2goleez wrote:
By the way, I just noticed this morning that I can't mount the camera with adapter and L-Bracket to my tripod. the adapter ends up too close to the l-bracket base. What have others done to deal with this?

My solution was to add another tripod adapter to the L-bracket. (I have a small one) or use a different adapter for tripod work.

Aug 19, 2016 at 09:30 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.12 #2 · p.12 #2 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Setup AF/MF toggle on left dial side. Works perfect . I can go back and forth

Aug 19, 2016 at 09:41 AM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.12 #3 · p.12 #3 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

d-intrigue wrote:
As far as I know, nothing changed on that chart between v2 and v3.

If you switch to MF mode (which is only possible via the camera body) and don't have anything entered via F36, F40 or F45 I'm fairly sure the default operation is that the adapter resets focus to some default position (i.e., but not close/infinity/present.)

If that makes sense.

I tried this and found that when switching the camera body to MF (for me via toggle switch/button), the adapter will park itself in its retracted or default infinity position.

Aug 19, 2016 at 09:47 AM
bluloo
• • • •
p.12 #4 · p.12 #4 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

d-intrigue wrote:
As far as I know, nothing changed on that chart between v2 and v3.

If you switch to MF mode (which is only possible via the camera body) and don't have anything entered via F36, F40 or F45 I'm fairly sure the default operation is that the adapter resets focus to some default position (i.e., but not close/infinity/present.)

If that makes sense.

Thanks. I'll have to check the behavior more carefully today.

Aug 19, 2016 at 10:21 AM
Jonathan F
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.12 #5 · p.12 #5 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

I just want to chime in. I bought mine off Ebay for about the same price as retail and so far I'm quite happy with it. It works great with all my Nikon AI-S and Voigtlander F mount lenses.

Here's some pictures of it mounted on my A7 II and with a Nikon F to Leica M adapter:

Voigtlander 58mm 02 by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

Voigtlander 58mm 01 by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

Aug 19, 2016 at 11:15 AM
bluloo
• • • •
p.12 #6 · p.12 #6 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

A few more related questions for our resident experts:

1. If you want to AF assist a longer lens like 135 (or longer), what F setting should we use? According to what's been posted the 135mm setting turns off AF.

2. What about the F settings for lens FLs not listed like 40, 45, 75 or 85mm?

3. Is there an F setting for general AF use, but that is not lens specific (no auto EXIF or IBIS info, but AF assist works by coarse focusing the lens first)

Aug 19, 2016 at 11:28 AM
Jonathan F
• • •
p.12 #7 · p.12 #7 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

bluloo wrote:
A few more related questions for our resident experts:

1. If you want to AF assist a longer lens like 135 (or longer), what F setting should we use? According to what's been posted the 135mm setting turns off AF.

2. What about the F settings for lens FLs not listed like 40, 45, 75 or 85mm?

3. Is there an F setting for general AF use, but that is not lens specific (no auto EXIF or IBIS info, but AF assist works by coarse focusing the lens first)

From what I understand you still control aperture from the lens and leave the f-stop at the widest setting which comes out to f/2 in-camera.

Aug 19, 2016 at 11:50 AM
bluloo
• • • •
p.12 #8 · p.12 #8 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Jonathan F wrote:
From what I understand you still control aperture from the lens and leave the f-stop at the widest setting which comes out to f/2 in-camera.

Yes, you always control aperture from the lens, and always shoot at F2. I appreciate the reply, but it doesn't address any of the questions.

Aug 19, 2016 at 11:52 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.12 #9 · p.12 #9 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

I would having a 85mm use 90mm at least it is close Exif wise but IBIS wise your better off with a longer lens setting. For 135 users not sure why that is not there except they may not recommend it as the throw is only 4.5 mm to push the lens in and out. Even with a 135 you will most likely have to pre-focus it towards either end anyway. It's simply not going to use the whole focus travel. Probably why they did not include it. This one I can understand but you could still use it plus it's pushing more weight and that may hurt the motor

Aug 19, 2016 at 11:56 AM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.12 #10 · p.12 #10 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Right now, I don't worry about dialing in the EXIF since I use Lens Tagger to edit the EXIF with specific lens data including FL and aperture.

Aug 19, 2016 at 11:58 AM
d-intrigue
• •
p.12 #11 · p.12 #11 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

1. AF works the same way with any focal length lens. I wouldn't recommend using the F32 option.

My post above about disabling AF needs clarification: on the Techart Contax G adapter, manual focus can be enabled via a thumbwheel on the adapter, without having to adjust the aperture and firing a blank frame, or without having to assign AF/MF Ctrl to a button. In other words, the adapter itself can be used to go into MF mode.

The Techart Pro adapter, on the other hand, cannot be changed into MF mode independently of the camera, by one or the other of the above methods, the best way being: assign AF/MF Ctrl Toggle to a button.

2. There is no way to set EXIF for focal lengths other than the ones in the chart. Pick one close, or don't use the feature....

3. I recommend:

• Use F45 so the adapter stays put when switching to MF mode
• For longer focal lengths (or for close-ups, or in other low light situations) the adapter may try to focus but give up; in this case, use the focus ring on the lens to get things "into the ballpark" and then use AF.
• Use back-button focus (i.e., separate focus from shutter firing.)

On my camera, IBIS ("SteadyShot Adjust.") is assigned to C1 (choose "ADJ Manual") and the IBIS focal length choice ("SteadyS. Focal Len.") is assigned to C4 (trash can)

Hope this helps!

http://restoration35.com/IMG_6856.JPG

Aug 19, 2016 at 12:00 PM
bluloo
• • • •
p.12 #12 · p.12 #12 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Thanks for the input. I think I'm better understanding (a little) how the adapter functions...

Does this mean if you don't use Auto SteadyShot Adjust, and set the adapter at F45, you can coarse MF, and the Techart will AF fine tune the shot, as long as the camera is in AF mode (and the adapter will respect MF mode on the camera body)?

What happens if you don't select any F setting for the adapter, and and still set the IBIS manually? Does that scenario only impact the ability to MF the lens when the camera is set to MF (IOW, does the adapter not respect the MF camera setting if it's not set on F45)?

I know I can just randomly experiment, but I'd rather benefit from the experience here.

Thanks again!

Aug 19, 2016 at 12:36 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.12 #13 · p.12 #13 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Thanks d-intrigue. I do something similar and posted that some time ago on GetDPI. Here goes:

The TechArt Pro LM-EA7 adapter takes advantage of camera functionality to achieve the focusing.
But it also disables functionality one would like to keep. An example would be to manually focus, should the adapter fail to focus.
Luckily there is a workaround for that. It also pays to setup the camera buttons in order to minimize use of the menu system.

So, here is my current A7r2 setup. Thanks to many forum members for their advice!

A7r2 menu 1/3/Focus Mode: Preference of AF-C with AF-S, MF as fall back. Center point focusing seems to work best (assuming good light and contrasty subject).
A7r2 menu 1/3/Focus Area: when possible use Flexible Spot, L > M > S. Reason, L has more PDAF points.

A7r2 menu 2/3/Phase Detect Area: On
A7r2 menu 2/5/AF w/shutter: On.
A7r2 menu 2/5/AEL w/shutter: Off. Reason, so one can focus wide open, then stop down, while half pressing the shutter button.
A7r2 menu 2/7/AF System: Phase Detection AF.

A7r2 menu 2/7/Custom Key Settings:

Control wheel.....: Not set (default?)
Custom Button 1: C1: White Balance (default?)
Custom Button 2: C2: Focus Magnifier
Custom Button 3: C3: SteadyS. Focal Len. (no need to go into the menu for changing the Focal Length when in Manual mode)
Custom Button 4: C4: In-Camera Guide (very useful when in menu)
Center Button: Eye AF (default?)

Left Button: LB: Drive Mode (default?)
Right Button: RB: ISO (default?)
Down Button: DB: SteadyShot On or Off (so that with C3 and DB one can control IBIS, even when incorrect Focal Length in Exif)
AEL Button: AEL toggle
AF/MF Button: AF/MF Ctrl Toggle (with the LM-EA7 adapter this is a way to get to MF with focus peaking)
Focus Hold Button: Eye AF (very useful for lenses that have that button, e.g the FE 90/2.8 MACRO G for portrait shots)

A7r2 menu 6/3/Remote Ctrl: On (probably needed when lens is firmly attached to a tripod and the LM-EA7 adapter has to move the camera)
I use both an Infrared Remote Controller and the Video Remote Controller (of the Sony VCT-VPR1 Compact Remote Control Tripod) that attaches to the camera's USB port.

Your feedback and suggestions for improvements are most welcome. TIA.

K-H.

Aug 19, 2016 at 12:46 PM
d-intrigue
• •
p.12 #14 · p.12 #14 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

bluloo wrote:
Thanks for the input. I think I'm better understanding (a little) how the adapter functions...

Does this mean if you don't use Auto SteadyShot Adjust, and set the adapter at F45, you can coarse MF, and the Techart will AF fine tune the shot, as long as the camera is in AF mode (and the adapter will respect MF mode on the camera body)?

The description and nomenclature of usage of this adapter can be confusing, hopefully I can clarify things a bit.

First, setting the F45 option only affects one thing: when switching from AF to MF, the adapter will not re-adjust. For example, say it's in AF mode and adapter with lens is focused at 4 feet, and the AF/MF Ctrl Toggle button is pressed. The camera then goes into MF mode, and the adapter stays exactly where it was previously focused -- 4 feet.

If the adapter is in AF mode, manual focus coarse adjust is always available just by turning the lens' focus ring.

What happens if you don't select any F setting for the adapter, and and still set the IBIS manually? Does that scenario only impact the ability to MF the lens when the camera is set to MF (IOW, does the adapter not respect the MF camera setting if it's not set on F45)?

See above: F45 is simply an option to keep the adapter at the same position when switching between AF and MF.

Aug 19, 2016 at 12:47 PM
donnanphoto
• •
p.12 #15 · p.12 #15 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

It works really well. No, it's not as fast at focusing at the 24-70 f/4 sony lens, but it's not supposed to be. I do wish I had more room for the tripod mount, but that's an easy workaround.

Aug 19, 2016 at 02:11 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.12 #16 · p.12 #16 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

I'm falling for this adapter almost as much as I like this lens: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1255248/1779#13686920

Aug 19, 2016 at 04:42 PM
d-intrigue
• •
p.12 #17 · p.12 #17 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

GMPhotography wrote:
Btw not to get to far off topic but was looking for a cheap 50. Noticed the VC 50 1.5. I'm looking for character lens ..

That's what is so cool about this adapter. It opens up so many possibilities for good, cheap glass. I know at least one pro using this adapter for paid work.

How cheap is cheap?

Aug 19, 2016 at 04:50 PM
Jack Thompson
• •
p.12 #18 · p.12 #18 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

I just received my teacart, shot with it a little bit on the c/y 35-70, and even in some dim light, it worked brilliantly. Obviously not perfect as you all know, but damned good. I can't say thank you enough to Fred and this community, so much generosity on this site, so much great information shared.

I found the (incredible) alt lens forum here, I want to say in 2008 and was struck by the beauty and character of so many legacy lenses, especially the c/y and ZE/ZF Zeiss lenses. Fast forward, and sadly, My ZE 50 1.4 has been gathering a lot of dust lately because the FE 55 is just so much more practical for me, as is the FE 35 2.8. But with the tech art adapter in hand and operating well, my gears started turning and the compromise game we all play with alt lenses fired up again after being dormant for a while. Sell the ZE 50 1.4 and pick up a ZF 50 1.4? Or c/y 50 1.4? Not great wide open, but none of the M to E weirdness? Or is the character of those ZM's worth the optical compromises? Can I leverage the strength of those lenses to my advantage like Chad? That's not one I can answer at the moment.

In the end, I realized that while I like the bold Zeiss look, I'm pretty familiar with it, have it in spades with my c/y lenses but I have not yet shot with Leica glass. So my first is now on the way--Leica R Summicron (55) in excellent condition. Getting in for $500 plus adapter with the ability to autofocus seemed worth it to me...gotta see what the fuss is all about Thanks again to everyone in here, so much goodwill...fantastic.

Aug 19, 2016 at 07:16 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.12 #19 · p.12 #19 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Jack Thompson wrote:
I just received my teacart, shot with it a little bit on the c/y 35-70, and even in some dim light, it worked brilliantly. Obviously not perfect as you all know, but damned good. I can't say thank you enough to Fred and this community, so much generosity on this site, so much great information shared.

I found the (incredible) alt lens forum here, I want to say in 2008 and was struck by the beauty and character of so many legacy lenses, especially the c/y and ZE/ZF Zeiss lenses. Fast forward, and sadly, My ZE 50 1.4 has
...Show more

Hi Jack,
Thanks for your kind words!

I'm also surprised how well the CY 35-70/3.4 works with Techart. It's not a fast lens but it's no problem for the adapter even in lower light. Try the lens macro mode combined with the adapter macro mode. It gets really close!!

Aug 19, 2016 at 07:20 PM
bluloo
• • • •
p.12 #20 · p.12 #20 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Fred Miranda wrote:
I'm also surprised how well the CY 35-70/3.4 works with Techart. It's not a fast lens but it's no problem for the adapter even in lower light. Try the lens macro mode combined with the adapter macro mode. It gets really close!!

I have a C/Y 35-70 coming early next week. What F settings do you use on the Techart with a zoom?

Aug 19, 2016 at 07:40 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.