Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Best 35mm for fullframe opinions needed!

jacob29

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best 35mm for fullframe opinions needed!

Im looking to buy a 35mm prime as pretty much completely switched to primes. I shoot canon and we do shoot mainly portraits,weddings etc. Mainly stills but will move slowly to video work.
I have been researching for months but can not decide.
Tamron 35mm 1.8 VC is what i think we need
But is it better than canon 35mm 2.0 IS ?
I have lot of sigma primes and love them
So Art 1.4 is option but need the VC for video work i think. I kinda wanna future proof sp want lens that can handle resoloution. I will upgrade to 5d iv when out.

HELP!!

Aug 14, 2016 at 03:09 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best 35mm for fullframe opinions needed!

In terms of image quality, the new Canon 35mm f1.4L II is the best lens out there. Better than the Sigma Art. But's it's pricey, and no IS. If you need IS, or you can't drop nearly $2k on a lens, the Tamron's probably your best bet. Good image quality, faster than the Canon f2, can be adjust via the Tamron dock, and has amazing close focus ability. Great lens for the price.

Aug 14, 2016 at 03:43 PM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best 35mm for fullframe opinions needed!

You are overthinking and obsessing.
Any decent lens will do well if you spend time working on creativity rather then technical silliness.
Great images have been taken with gear most would not want to touch, much less use these days.

Aug 14, 2016 at 03:43 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best 35mm for fullframe opinions needed!

The 35LII is literally the sharpest lens I own, even when I shoot at 1.4

But if you're doing video, you're going to want IS.

Aug 14, 2016 at 03:49 PM
jacob29

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best 35mm for fullframe opinions needed!

Thanks guys.. im not really looking at canon 1.4.ii ..too overpriced!! Im not really too worried about what decesion i make just looking for some advice from people who have the lenses.

Aug 14, 2016 at 03:50 PM
jacob29

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best 35mm for fullframe opinions needed!

Honestly have some great lenses.. but for pure sharpness with no real problems love my sigma 105 os macro .. razor sharp for portraits , just have to nail focus

Aug 14, 2016 at 03:53 PM
jacob29

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best 35mm for fullframe opinions needed!

ZachOly wrote:
The 35LII is literally the sharpest lens I own, even when I shoot at 1.4

But if you're doing video, you're going to want IS.

Guess it tamron or canon f2 then

Aug 14, 2016 at 03:55 PM
MTguy
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best 35mm for fullframe opinions needed!

I kept a close eye on canon's listing of refurbished lenses for a while and ended up picking the F2 IS version for about $430. Love that lens!

Aug 14, 2016 at 04:34 PM
garyvot
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best 35mm for fullframe opinions needed!

The Tamron is a pretty nice lens. It's sharp and I think its bokeh is a bit smoother than the Canon f/2 IS at the same aperture. The Tammy also has considerably less vignetting than the Canon wide open, and a shorter MFD. The Canon's AF is a bit quicker, and it is more compact. Both lenses have some minor CA which can be corrected. For video, you may prefer the focus throw on the Tamron as well.

They are both very good lenses, though maybe not with the "character" of the faster 35s. I don't think you could make a bad choice with either if you need IS.

Edited on Aug 15, 2016 at 12:48 AM · View previous versions

Aug 14, 2016 at 05:26 PM
RSHPhotography
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best 35mm for fullframe opinions needed!

It depends on what you do. The 35L is a superb lens. So is the Sigma.

If you're shooting events, quick focusing is important. Here's where Canon has no equal.

Aug 14, 2016 at 05:47 PM
macentropist
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best 35mm for fullframe opinions needed!

Jacob, i am pretty sure you answered your own question, the Canon 35mm f2 IS is the way to go. I also do video, and liked it so much i bought it's siblings, the 28mm f2.8 IS and the 24mm f2.8 IS. Now if Canon would just take the wraps off of the 50mm f1.8 IS, i will be whole.

The 35mm f2 IS sells here all week long for $400.00-430.00 every darn week!

Enjoy your new lens

Aug 14, 2016 at 05:55 PM
jacob29

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best 35mm for fullframe opinions needed!

Thanks everyone can get the F2 Canon for about 350 here. Just cant decide if i want that extra 1/3 stop with Tamron and lot of people say it as sharp as sigma! Anyway will decide soon need one asap!

Aug 14, 2016 at 06:46 PM
RSHPhotography
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Best 35mm for fullframe opinions needed!

Stick to Canon.

Aug 14, 2016 at 10:02 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Best 35mm for fullframe opinions needed!

Yup, stick to the Canon. Smaller, lighter, snappier AF, just as sharp by f/2.8 aside from the extreme corners.

You also get vignetting correction for video with the Canon lens.

Aug 14, 2016 at 10:53 PM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Best 35mm for fullframe opinions needed!

1/3 stop - completely trivial - get the Canon unless you need very close focusing.

Aug 15, 2016 at 09:17 AM
jacob29

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Best 35mm for fullframe opinions needed!

Agree but Canon is not as sharp yeah? , i dont care about lab tests and bla bla. But the tamron was measured at 18 mp true resoloution the canon 11-14 ..that is kinda a big jump especially with new higher reso files now

Aug 15, 2016 at 09:42 AM
TJRidgway

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Best 35mm for fullframe opinions needed!

So I'm actually fighting with this question myself, but my needs are a bit different. I hope it's alright that I'm chiming in here rather than cluttering the board with another, similar, topic.

I just converted to Canon (been shooting Sony A, m43, and Sony E for about 10 years now) with a 6D. I'm still in the process of clearing out my old equipment to shift my system completely, and I'm learning quite a bit about what I prefer as I go.

That said, I've rented the 16-35 f/4L IS and the 50 f/1.2L to try and traded for/purchased used a 17-40 f/4L, 40 f/2.8 STM, 100 f/2.8L IS Macro, and 70-200 f/4L IS. I was using the 40 for a walkaround, but I'm not as in love with it as I thought (I figured it would be a great replacement for my Panasonic 20 f/1.7). I loved the 50, but it focuses so SLOW. Lately I've been using the 17-40 for my walkaround because it focuses so much better than the 40 does. However, I'd like a couple stops more light, and I do find that 35mm is more to my taste on the FF sensor.

Long story over, I'm torn: 35 f/2 IS 35 f/1.4L II. The original 35L has enough gripes about it's focus and CA that I'm hesitant, though it IS priced right in between those two options. The Tamron gets very mixed reviews, so I'm hesitant there. The Sigma sounds great, but as nice as it is the pictures I've seen don't work FOR ME. It's technically amazing, but it doesn't have the look I want. The last issue is that I'm looking for a consistent look across my system. I always had mixed lenses in other systems and it was hard at times to get the look to match. Canon seems very consistent so I'd like to stay with them.

On a side note, if anyone says that APS-C, m43, and FF are just equivalency they are sadly mistaken. I'm realizing just how DIFFERENT a 50 f/1.2L on a 6D and a 25 f/0.95 on an E-M1 look. This is what has caused me to change my tastes a bit.

Aug 15, 2016 at 10:28 AM
jacob29

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Best 35mm for fullframe opinions needed!

I dunno how to help there.. for me think the 35L is outdated has too nany gripes. Everyone is pointing to the canon so guess i am gonna buy it.Just wish someone who has the Tamron would comment! I have tamron 24-70 and sorry after renting canon 24-70 ii the tamron was superior in most instances. Yes skintones are better on canon. But third party lenses have come a long way.

Aug 15, 2016 at 10:38 AM
TJRidgway

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Best 35mm for fullframe opinions needed!

Sorry, I forgot to add: If it helps any my favorite lens of all time right now was the Contax G Zeiss 21 f/2.8 on my m43 cameras. Not a flawless combination by any means (off axis light caused blurring, etc. leaving the center SHARP but the sides dreamy), but no other way to describe it than magical. Colors, contrast, etc.

I'm looking to recapture that kind of magic.

Aug 15, 2016 at 10:38 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Best 35mm for fullframe opinions needed!

I've been shooting the 35mm f/1.4L (version 1) for a while. I'm selling mine as I'm not in that line of work anymore. I have absolutely no complaints about the lens. It's crisp, quick, and to my eye, excellent IQ. If you'll check the B&S board you'll see some good deals on Version 1 (1/2 or less than v.II).

Great lens, just don't use it anymore but never disappointed. (Used is waaay more affordable. I know, that's how I've gotten many of my go to lenses.)

Robert

Aug 15, 2016 at 10:47 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.