FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Beep, beep, ...

PhillipAnthony
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Beep, beep, ...

I got very lucky last weekend. I have always wanted to capture a roadrunner, but the opportunity never presented itself, until last Sunday, that is. I spotted him in our yard and ran back in and grabbed my camera. Then I had to find him again and the chase was on. I used 'clucking' or 'clicking' sounds to attract him - or so I think. At any rate, it worked and this silly bird nearly ran into me.

I am not roadrunner expert, but I'd bet that this is a young'un because of his speckled coloration. Someone may know and provide this info. But, one thing for sure, this roadunner was very curious. I have heard neighbor's talking about feeding them by hand, but whether that is true or not I have no idea. I see no point in doing that.

Going off topic if I may: We used to have one spend the night over our sun room door. This was a bit crazy but this guy would show up just before twilight and jump up to a small 5"x5" ledge over the door and spend the night there. How he twisted around without falling off I have no idea. I have attached an image of this and you will see his tail sticking straight up. Crazy bird. I was not fond of this, but I always went out that door with our dog several times at night and he never moved. I have no idea ....

Gear: Canon 5DS-R, EF100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II USM with EF 1.4X III extender

All C&C are welcome. Enjoy.

© Phillip Anthony 2016

Where is that noise coming from?

© Phillip Anthony 2016

Not over there ... hmm-mmmm ....

© Phillip Anthony 2016

Ah, ha!!! There he is!

Edited on Aug 14, 2016 at 01:58 PM · View previous versions

Aug 14, 2016 at 01:41 PM
PhillipAnthony
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Beep, beep, ...

I added five image but only three showed up and out of order, so I will try again.

© Phillip Anthony 2016

© Phillip Anthony 2016

© Phillip Anthony 2016

© Phillip Anthony 2016

© Phillip Anthony 2016

Aug 14, 2016 at 01:45 PM
PhillipAnthony
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Beep, beep, ...

Okay, that worked so here are some more roadrunner captures.

© Phillip Anthony 2016

Here's Mr. Roadrunner on his nightime perch.

© Phillip Anthony 2016

I see you now!!

© Phillip Anthony 2016

Now he's making weird noises. LOL

© Phillip Anthony 2016

Getting closer and closer ...

© Phillip Anthony 2016

I think he's had enough of my clucking. Adios!

Aug 14, 2016 at 01:53 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Beep, beep, ...

Nicely done Phillip. I don't think anyone truly knows why critters do what they do ~ Ron

Aug 14, 2016 at 02:03 PM
PhillipAnthony
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Beep, beep, ...

surfnron wrote:
Nicely done Phillip. I don't think anyone truly knows why critters do what they do ~ Ron

Amen! on that.

Thanks for the kind words.

Aug 14, 2016 at 02:05 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Beep, beep, ...

Quite a nice set . Love the shot above the door, that is amazing.

Birdie

Aug 14, 2016 at 04:49 PM
PhillipAnthony
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Beep, beep, ...

birdied wrote:
Quite a nice set . Love the shot above the door, that is amazing.

Birdie

Thanks for the kind words, Roberta. (My favorite cousin is named Roberta as well.)

Thankfully, the roadrunner who slept over our door is now gone. I really believe that he left because his tail was getting too long to fit. Crazy bird!

My wife believes that several generations of roadrunner have slept above the door. I refuse to argue with her because I hate sharing our dogs food bowl. Know what I mean?

Thanks again.

Aug 15, 2016 at 09:50 AM
Lilki
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Beep, beep, ...

Beautiful shots! For some reason roadrunners look like little dinosaurs to me.

The shot at your house is amazing! It must have felt safe there. I think if I came home upon that unawares it would scare the beejezus out of me!

Aug 15, 2016 at 12:50 PM
PhillipAnthony
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Beep, beep, ...

@Lilki

Thanks for the kind words.

Dinosaur's? I suppose one could make that connection. I'm sure our lizard's would agree with you on that because to them a roadrunner probably does look like a dinosaur.

As to the 'overhead' roadrunner: We have a habit around our house to 'check the perimeter' several times after dark so Bella (our border collie) can do her duty before bedtime. And when we head back into the house I always kept my head down in case Mr. RR decided to fly off his perch because my head was passing about 12" from him. However, he never once tried to leave his perch. Regardless, I am very glad that he no longer spends the night there. It was a bit creepy to know he was there, but no harm was ever done.

Thanks again.

Aug 15, 2016 at 04:46 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.