Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Keys replacement for windows?

g-money
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Keys replacement for windows?

Well, finally was time to upgrade my system from win7 to win10. In the process I have lost my ability to edit in lightroom with VSCO Keys. I thought it had went open source, but now it appears you can't even download a basic version of it. I see where pfixer is still mac only and paddy is for all practical purposes dead. Are there any decent solutions out there for windows. Seems there would be a market for this.

EDIT after a little looking stuumbled across this piece of open source software that looks to be pretty active with developement.

http://petapixel.com/2015/08/12/midi2lr-an-open-source-app-that-lets-you-use-any-midi-controller-in-lightroom/

Aug 14, 2016 at 11:26 AM
hendrikm
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Keys replacement for windows?

Thanks for the infos!

Didnīt know about midi2lr. Sounds promising, so I just bought the Korg nanoKontrol 2 controller (30€ incl. shipping for an item used in the shop for demonstration).

I also never felt like paddy was the solution for windows users.

Aug 15, 2016 at 07:34 AM
g-money
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Keys replacement for windows?

hendrikm wrote:
Thanks for the infos!

Didnīt know about midi2lr. Sounds promising, so I just bought the Korg nanoKontrol 2 controller (30€ incl. shipping for an item used in the shop for demonstration).

I also never felt like paddy was the solution for windows users.

Same here ordering mine this morning and going to give it a try. $55 isn't going to kill me if it doesn't work. I took some time and read a good bit on their wiki last night and they are actively moving forward with this software and steady making improvements and new releases for bug fixes. Seems to be about all I could find for windows.

Aug 15, 2016 at 08:14 AM
JoeMelzer
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Keys replacement for windows?

If I may - love it :o) Long Term Paddy User, at least until LR 6 when development came to a sudden stop. I use the same combination, midi2lr and nanocontrol. It speeds up your workflow a lot plus: pushing sliders and turning knobs is a perfect fit to all thouse sliders in LR. I'd recommend this anytime!

Aug 16, 2016 at 06:07 AM
g-money
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Keys replacement for windows?

@JoeMelzer is it hard to set up the software and map all the controls? Any tips you have found that works best? Bugs?

Aug 16, 2016 at 08:40 AM
JoeMelzer
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Keys replacement for windows?

Absolutely not. I used Paddy before which was more complicated. I tried to get vsco keys working after it became freeware but never managed. First you install the plugin. After that, whenever you turn a know / push a button on the nanocontrol, it lights up in midi2lr. There you can assign the desired function to it - that's all there is. Works like a charm.

One thing, though: sliders and knobs on the nanocontrol are not motorized. So, when you go to the next picture and start to move sliders, the last settings (for example exposure) are applied again. Say you correct exposure by two stops up. then you go to the next image, begin to move the slider and it will jump to +2ev. That is because of the way midi works. Takes a few images to get used it, but (at least to me) is no problem at all.

Good luck, have fun and: you will never go back :-D

Aug 17, 2016 at 06:16 AM
g-money
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Keys replacement for windows?

Thanks Joe, Yes after more reading last night while waiting on the nano I kind of had second thoughts on the purchase and wondered should I have spent more and ordered one with the motorized faders where that would not be an issue. Oh well, If I like it I will sell that one and upgrade. Thanks again!

Aug 17, 2016 at 06:32 AM
InSanE
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Keys replacement for windows?

Why cant you download it?

http://vsco.github.io/keys/

Aug 17, 2016 at 09:14 AM
g-money
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Keys replacement for windows?

InSanE wrote:
Why cant you download it?

http://vsco.github.io/keys/

, I have looked at that page a dozen times and not once did I notice the download links in the top right corner until now. I was just looking at the text and scrolling up and down the page and decided that it was no longer available for download.

Oh well moving on from VSCO at this point not going to put forth any energy with it. As much as I liked keys it was crummy the way they ended it. I think I am going to really enjoy physical knobs and sliders vs keyboard controls anyway if MIDI2LR works as promised.

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:10 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Keys replacement for windows?

I would pay so many monies for dorfl to update Paddy. I still use LR5 because of paddy. The lack of mouse button mapping in other maps is a huge loss for me...thus, still with paddy and lr5

Aug 17, 2016 at 03:54 PM
JoeMelzer
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Keys replacement for windows?

@joel: midi2lr is free to try, the korg nanocontrol is well below 100€ - do it. I used Paddy myself and checked dorfls page many times before finally giving up hope. But: using real sliders is not compareable to pushing buttons. i swear, you will not regret this. plus, you can update to lr6. which is, at least for me and thanks to gpu usage, faster in development of d800 raws than lr5 was.

Aug 19, 2016 at 05:56 AM
g-money
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Keys replacement for windows?

UPDATE/FIRST IMPRESSIONS: First off I am still working through the set up and customizing and tweaking my layouts. I did however have a chance to give it a test run with a small shoot I had done of a local accountant for some images for his website and I have to say first impression is midi2lr is an amazing piece of software.

I am sure you guys that have used paddy may not find the same wow factor I did, but coming from about 40% keyboard / 60% mouse usage to knobs, sliders and buttons is pretty dang awesome. I never gave paddy a try as it always looked a bit intimidating to install and set up.

Midi2lr as it turns out is really pretty simple once you get your head around a couple things. Setting up "mapping" the main layout or profile (assigning commands to your midi) was really simple. I hit a snag when I ran out of control knobsand faders and needed a new profile or "layer" I think is what paddy calls them. I knew there was a way to assign one button different tasks, but figuring out how to set it was a bit of a mystery. I finally stumbled across this page https://github.com/rsjaffe/MIDI2LR/wiki/Plugin-Options-Dialog which explains a bit better how to set up the new profiles, assign keystrokes\presets\commands etc. I am still not sure I am creating the new profile the simplest method as I just save the one I am working on with a new profile name and begin reassigning the controls a different task depending on what I am wanting for that grouping of tasks saving the layout as I go. Not sure how to create a new layer where all the controls are unmapped.

I currently have one profile for develop. This one has the basic develop commands I use the most (exposure,contrast, highlights, temp etc) I have another for my presets. another for adjusting the HSL controls of each color and one that has library functions mapped to it.

So far everything works very smoothly and as expected and I have not experienced any glitches or odd behaviors yet with the software. The midi controller (nanokontrol 2) I purchased was cheap and does not have motorized knobs or faders so it takes a bit of getting used to when going from image to image, but nothing terrible. However I can see where one with motorized controls that reset to 0 will be in my future. Should also allow for finer control when adjusting things like temp/tint/exposure even though the cheap controller I have does a decent job.

The only thing I cannot get to work is this and maybe someone can help me. When you create a virtual copy it is "stacked" with the original. The keystroke command to unstack is "ctrl/shift/g" However I cannot get this to work either in midi2lr or with my keyboard. However I can rightclick the select unstack from the menu and click and it releases the image from the stack. Can anyone else get the ctl/shift/g command to work in CC or am I doing something wrong here?

Anyway if you were one of those like me who was waiting and hoping for pfixer to come out with a windows version you really should give midi2lr a try. Hopefully the developer will continue to push this software forward with new updates,as I am really pleased and see where this can really speed up editing.

Aug 22, 2016 at 08:02 AM
JoeMelzer
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Keys replacement for windows?

... told you so

no, seriously, good to hear that you fell in love!

Aug 23, 2016 at 06:03 AM
Michael Beard
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Keys replacement for windows?

I built a hackintosh just to be able to use Pfixer with my BCF2000. Now that I have tried MIDI2LR I think I'm going to be able to ditch OSX (score!). I'm still setting all the mappings up but it seems like it's way more responsive when making adjustments. Setup is super easy. I think we have a winner.

Aug 23, 2016 at 12:09 PM
g-money
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Keys replacement for windows?

Michael Beard wrote:
I built a hackintosh just to be able to use Pfixer with my BCF2000. Now that I have tried MIDI2LR I think I'm going to be able to ditch OSX (score!). I'm still setting all the mappings up but it seems like it's way more responsive when making adjustments. Setup is super easy. I think we have a winner.

Mine responds really quick as well. Only issue with response I had was when I went in and turn on the notifications (a small window that pops up when you are making adjusts that tell you on the screen your value so don't have to look at the slider) a great feature, but I was experiencing a couple sec lag before midi would respond so went back and turned it off.

Aug 23, 2016 at 08:04 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.