Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Sekonic LiteMaster Pro L478 PROFOTO?

Gust
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sekonic LiteMaster Pro L478 PROFOTO?

Now there are several LiteMasters hit the market to trigger PW, Elichrome, Photix lights, is it realistic to think Sekonic next LM will be for Profo Air?

Aug 13, 2016 at 12:45 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sekonic LiteMaster Pro L478 PROFOTO?

Maybe, but Profoto is promoting the heck out of TTl in their B1 and B2. I doubt they would want to help promote needing a light meter.

Aug 13, 2016 at 05:20 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sekonic LiteMaster Pro L478 PROFOTO?

I only use the TTL capabilities of the B1 and B2 but rarely. I'd love to see a Sekonic lightmeter with a Profoto Air trigger. Not holding my breath though....

Aug 13, 2016 at 06:33 PM
Gust
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sekonic LiteMaster Pro L478 PROFOTO?

Gregg Heckler wrote:
Maybe, but Profoto is promoting the heck out of TTl in their B1 and B2. I doubt they would want to help promote needing a light meter.

Ah, thats nice, but since the end of April when the 1d x mkII came, The ttl doesn't work anymore.
What about promoting the ttl?
That's about 4 months I cannot work with ttl

Aug 14, 2016 at 02:37 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sekonic LiteMaster Pro L478 PROFOTO?

"Ah, thats nice, but since the end of April when the 1d x mkII came, The ttl doesn't work anymore." This is the light makers problem not Canon's. They will need to issue a firmware update at some point if the do.

"What about promoting the ttl?" The camera and light maker's like to pomote TTL so you don't need an external meter, or use the camera's meter instead. Profoto really promotes this with their B1 and B2, and why a lot of photographers buy them. I don't see them having any incentive to work with Sekonic.

"That's about 4 months I cannot work with ttl" Sell everything and get a good light system like one of the ones I mentioned. If you can afford or justify a Canon 1DX you can justify good lighting. No more waiting then.

Aug 14, 2016 at 11:09 AM
Gust
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sekonic LiteMaster Pro L478 PROFOTO?

Gregg Heckler wrote:
"Ah, thats nice, but since the end of April when the 1d x mkII came, The ttl doesn't work anymore." This is the light makers problem not Canon's. They will need to issue a firmware update at some point if the do.

"What about promoting the ttl?" The camera and light maker's like to pomote TTL so you don't need an external meter, or use the camera's meter instead. Profoto really promotes this with their B1 and B2, and why a lot of photographers buy them. I don't see them having any incentive to work with Sekonic.

good
...Show more

Which one you mentioned? which good light system?
Profoto is one of the best!
I own also 3x D1 Air for the studio. What about Profoto don't need an external meter?
How will you do the lightning in the studio?

Aug 14, 2016 at 12:39 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sekonic LiteMaster Pro L478 PROFOTO?

If you already have Profoto gear get a B1 or B2, depending on how much power you think you need. You can then control all of your Profoto units with the Air Remote. You just can't get TTl with the D1. And you can use the B1 or B2 in or out of the Studio. The B1 and B2 have TTL Technology so you really don't "need" a meter. But as others have mentioned they still prefer to use the B1 and B2 in manual mode depending on the situation. You should review the Profoto web site for their B1 and B2. There are also plenty of videos on You Tube and Profoto's Blog.

Aug 14, 2016 at 04:30 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sekonic LiteMaster Pro L478 PROFOTO?

Having a light meter that can trigger your lights, e.g., Profoto, is simply a matter of convenience. I use a separate Profoto Air sync to trigger my lights with a light meter in the other hand. Integration is nice but not needed.

The Phase XF has an integrated Profoto Air trigger, but I still need to trigger the lights manually to meter. Hopefully a firmware update allows triggering by the camera without pressing the shutter button.

Aug 14, 2016 at 06:09 PM
bgateb760
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sekonic LiteMaster Pro L478 PROFOTO?

Gregg Heckler wrote:

"That's about 4 months I cannot work with ttl" Sell everything and get a good light system like one of the ones I mentioned. If you can afford or justify a Canon 1DX you can justify good lighting. No more waiting then.

I own 4 B1's and a B2 kit -- I cant use TTL with my 1DX2 because it blows everything out -- likely due to the new metering system (the air remotes needed to be updated with new firmware for the 5Ds/DSr's new metering system -- appears to be the case with the 1dx2's new metering system)

I only ever use TTL on location to get going quickly -- then just switch over to manual and adjust the light from there (often it gets it perfect, or very close). I don't _need_ it, but it greatly speeds up shoots. Now i have to take a few test shots to get going, which slows me down a bit -- not a huge deal, but when you get spoiled by something, you miss it when it's gone

I'd like a built-in profoto air L478DR (i own the pocketwizard version) -- but it's not that big of a deal to just hit the test button on the air remote when i need to meter.

Aug 16, 2016 at 11:34 PM
Gust
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sekonic LiteMaster Pro L478 PROFOTO?

bgateb760 wrote:

Aug 17, 2016 at 03:11 AM
HiredArm

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sekonic LiteMaster Pro L478 PROFOTO?

Probably won't happen. Elinchrom, Phottix, Bowens, and Sekonic have partnering agreements.

Aug 18, 2016 at 05:47 AM
Konablue
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sekonic LiteMaster Pro L478 PROFOTO?

HiredArm wrote:
Probably won't happen. Elinchrom, Phottix, Bowens, and Sekonic have partnering agreements.

Only if those partnering agreements are "Exclusive Agreements". If so, then your correct, it can't happen legally. Otherwise, it's just a matter of Profoto deciding if it makes business sense for them to work with Sekonic or other.

But regardless of whatever the legal situation is, it should be a real simple thing for any lightmeter manufacturer to trigger a Profoto. All they need to do is figure out what the specific radio trigger signal is. This kind of stuff happens all the time. Profoto figured out Canon's and Nikon's TTL flash algorithms without either of those companies help or approval.

I'm confident that Profoto is currently working on a firmware update for 1DX2 but based on their firmware release history it will probably take them a year or so. Profoto stated that Canon isn't working with them on the 1DX2 but that sort of thing hasn't stopped them in the past.

Aug 18, 2016 at 07:28 AM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sekonic LiteMaster Pro L478 PROFOTO?

Pop a TT5 PW trigger between the Air remote and your camera.

Sekonic triggers the PW, which triggers the Air remote.

Otherwise operation is as normal.

Obviously doesn't work with ETTL, but then it wouldn't would it...!

Aug 18, 2016 at 07:58 AM
bgateb760
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sekonic LiteMaster Pro L478 PROFOTO?

KonaBlue wrote:
Profoto stated that Canon isn't working with them on the 1DX2 but that sort of thing hasn't stopped them in the past.

WOW, really? what incentive is there for canon to not have the 1DX2 work?

the 5D4's metering specs sound like it'll be the same as the 5Ds/DSR, so an update should come out soon after the 5D4's release, if it doesnt work right away.

the 1DX2's metering system is new/more advanced than even the coming 5D4's, and it'd really blow if it wouldn't work for a long time.

Last i heard from Profoto in an email was late August is the target for 1DX2 TTL-C update -- but that doesn't look like it's gonna happen. An updated comment on their blog revealed that they're still working on it, and now it may be mid-late september. Here's hoping!

Aug 22, 2016 at 07:36 PM
Konablue
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sekonic LiteMaster Pro L478 PROFOTO?

bgateb760 wrote:
WOW, really? what incentive is there for canon to not have the 1DX2 work?

I suspect the reasoning for Canon not wanting to release their TTL software codes to third parties like Profoto is to minimize any competition with Canon's own line of Speedlights and Remotes. Canon might offer a Software Development Kit (SPK) to third parties but that just gives Profoto a toolset to work from. I don't have inside info on these companies so I can only speculate.

Apparently, the issue with the 1DX2 and Profoto is that the light is overexposed. That seems like it would be an easy fix for Profoto so maybe it won't take very long before TTL-C is available for the 1DX2.

Aug 23, 2016 at 08:22 AM
bgateb760
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sekonic LiteMaster Pro L478 PROFOTO?

Konablue wrote:
I suspect the reasoning for Canon not wanting to release their TTL software codes to third parties like Profoto is to minimize any competition with Canon's own line of Speedlights and Remotes. Canon might offer a Software Development Kit (SPK) to third parties but that just gives Profoto a toolset to work from. I don't have inside info on these companies so I can only speculate.

Apparently, the issue with the 1DX2 and Profoto is that the light is overexposed. That seems like it would be an easy fix for Profoto so maybe it won't take very long before TTL-C is
...Show more

Makes sense, and not really anything new with the big two -- everything third party has been reverse engineered. But then again, at the Profoto price (and size) point, they're not competing with Canon, imo.

Do you know if that was the case with all previous cameras? Did they need to reverse-engineer the new 150k pixel RGB+IR system of the 5DS/DSR, or were they given some help by Canon? If so, it's a bit weird that they're not helping with the 1DX2's new 360k pixel system.

Yes, that's the issue that i'm having with TTL on the 1DX2 and B1's and 2's. it completely blows everything out. It's not a huge deal, but having TTL to start with as a baseline and switching over to manual and being able to control everything with the Air remote is a huge time (and labor) saver.

Aug 24, 2016 at 12:41 PM
Konablue
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sekonic LiteMaster Pro L478 PROFOTO?

bgateb760 wrote:
1) Makes sense, and not really anything new with the big two -- everything third party has been reverse engineered. But then again, at the Profoto price (and size) point, they're not competing with Canon, imo.

2) Do you know if that was the case with all previous cameras? Did they need to reverse-engineer the new 150k pixel RGB+IR system of the 5DS/DSR, or were they given some help by Canon? If so, it's a bit weird that they're not helping with the 1DX2's new 360k pixel system.

3) Yes, that's the issue that i'm having with TTL on the 1DX2 and
...Show more
1) Profoto calls their B1 and B2 strobes the "Off Camera Flash (OCF)" which to me implies using a speedlight with remote. The Profoto stuff is very pricey but since I've had my B1 and B2 systems I've had no need for a speedlight and sold one of my 600EX-RT flashes and considering selling the other one.

2) I don't know

3) The TTL feature is one of Profoto's selling points on the B1 and B2. Not many strobes have TTL and I don't think any one else has the ability transfer the last TTL setting over to manual which is what sets the B1/2 apart from the rest. I think TTL is underrated and I find it useful in two cases. First - When the ambient lighting is constantly changing and like you said, to save time by using TTL to establish a baseline before switching over to manual.

The 1DX2 is still a very new model and I'm confident that TTL compatibility with it would be a priority for Profoto followed by Nikon's latest pro camera model.

Aug 24, 2016 at 01:28 PM
Gust
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sekonic LiteMaster Pro L478 PROFOTO?

but now, its end of august and nothing happens!
no update, no sound, its very quiet.
come on Profoto, give me where I payed for!

Aug 25, 2016 at 12:20 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.