Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Beautiful Butterfly and the Beast

JSaun
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Beautiful Butterfly and the Beast

Blown away by the robber fly. Is the lens used a long macro, or telephoto lens? Pardon my ignorance, I am an amateur, and barely becoming familiar even with Canon equipment.

Aug 16, 2016 at 11:10 AM
Bsmooth
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Beautiful Butterfly and the Beast

Yes those robberflies are pretty nasty looking, and you never know what they might catch next, Butterflies are terrific.
BTW hope you are doing Ok down there with all the nasty floods.

Aug 16, 2016 at 02:05 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Beautiful Butterfly and the Beast

JSaun wrote:
Blown away by the robber fly. Is the lens used a long macro, or telephoto lens? Pardon my ignorance, I am an amateur, and barely becoming familiar even with Canon equipment.

Hello JSaun,

These were done with a 300mm telephoto lens. You can easily do pseudo macro type shots with a telephoto. Macro of course allows you to go 1:1 . You can add extension tubes to a telephoto to get closer. Hope this helps.

Birdie

Aug 16, 2016 at 02:30 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Beautiful Butterfly and the Beast

Bsmooth wrote:
Yes those robberflies are pretty nasty looking, and you never know what they might catch next, Butterflies are terrific.
BTW hope you are doing Ok down there with all the nasty floods.

Hi Bruce. They are very nasty looking critters aren't they. Thank goodness they are not any larger

Fortunately for us , the worst is about 30 miles north . Far too much rain for far too many. Thanks for asking.

Birdie

Aug 16, 2016 at 02:32 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Beautiful Butterfly and the Beast

birdied wrote:
Socrate, always appreciate your thoughts on the processing. Your work has taught me quite a bit about contrast .
I actually had them with more contrast, but pulled it back . I find I have a tendency to over do it and in an attempt to correct that I need to find the happy medium

Birdie

If this can help I usually increase only the middle tones contrast in my images.
Socrate

Aug 16, 2016 at 05:22 PM
Larry Williams
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Beautiful Butterfly and the Beast

Lookin' good, ya just to love bugs....
Larry

Aug 16, 2016 at 05:34 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Beautiful Butterfly and the Beast

Shasoc wrote:
If this can help I usually increase only the middle tones contrast in my images.
Socrate

Thanks Socrate, that does help. I love how you not only take your images but process them. They are an inspiration to me. I am going to try with the midtones only . Thanks again.

Birdie

Aug 16, 2016 at 05:43 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.