New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Question for those with the 300 f/4PF VR

birdied
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question for those with the 300 f/4PF VR

Does anyone feel that his lens is slow to focus on moving subjects? I find mind very slow on moving objects. At times it will not focus at all. I have to nudge the focus ring.
I have sent the lens in once to Nikon and they did some adjustments, made it a bit better, but I am still feeling it should be faster to focus.

It works better on the D500 than the D810, but still seems slow.

The 200-500 focus is faster on moving than the 300.

What is your experience and any suggestions.

Thanks

Birdie

Aug 12, 2016 at 04:12 PM
dreyko

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question for those with the 300 f/4PF VR

I found mine to be quite good on my d750. You may need to consider that the focus throw is much shorter than the old version of this lens and therefor close focus to infinity may take the same time yet "feel" slower.

Aug 12, 2016 at 04:25 PM
Gary Irwin
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question for those with the 300 f/4PF VR

Can't say as I have any suggestions. The AF on my 300PF is not nearly as fast as my tele primes or 80-400VR that's for sure. It seemed on par with the 200-500VR I tried but I never compared them side by side. Bottom line, even though the 300PF is expensive for what it is, it's not in the pro class as far as AF is concerned that's for sure.

Aug 13, 2016 at 11:26 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question for those with the 300 f/4PF VR

My 300 PF is much faster than my 200-500. It's not as quick as my 600, but it's plenty fast.

In the shot below, I was shooting terns as they dove and then came out of the water. I was capturing them as they burst out of the water so the lens only had a split second to lock onto the bird before all the splashes came back down. The 300 PF did a fine job and I was surprised at just how many keepers I got. And this was at relatively close range.

One thing to consider. On my last trip my 300 PF started out terrible - and my 200-500 wasn't much better. Both lenses struggled to get a lock on moving subjects, especially the 300 PF. I thought there was an actual problem with my camera, but first decided to blow off the AF sensors under the mirror box. Sure enough, a little dust bunny fell out and my lenses instantly went back to normal.

Here's more info on how to:

http://youtu.be/gEDzAMm1FCc

Aug 13, 2016 at 12:23 PM
NIH NSF
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question for those with the 300 f/4PF VR

My 300mm PF with 1.4 III is definitely faster than 200-500mm, even on D500.

200-500 is a fine lens, however it is a little bit sluggish to start AF from resting state, almost like a 1 sec delay.

Aug 13, 2016 at 03:17 PM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question for those with the 300 f/4PF VR

Ya my 300mm PF is faster to focus than my Sigma sport.

Aug 13, 2016 at 03:44 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Question for those with the 300 f/4PF VR

dreyko wrote:
I found mine to be quite good on my d750. You may need to consider that the focus throw is much shorter than the old version of this lens and therefor close focus to infinity may take the same time yet "feel" slower.

Had not thought of that fact, thank you.
---------------------------------------------

Gary Irwin wrote:
Can't say as I have any suggestions. The AF on my 300PF is not nearly as fast as my tele primes or 80-400VR that's for sure. It seemed on par with the 200-500VR I tried but I never compared them side by side. Bottom line, even though the 300PF is expensive for what it is, it's not in the pro class as far as AF is concerned that's for sure.

Thanks Gary. Some say it is fast , others like us don't seem to think so

Steve Perry wrote:
My 300 PF is much faster than my 200-500. It's not as quick as my 600, but it's plenty fast.

In the shot below, I was shooting terns as they dove and then came out of the water. I was capturing them as they burst out of the water so the lens only had a split second to lock onto the bird before all the splashes came back down. The 300 PF did a fine job and I was surprised at just how many keepers I got. And this was at relatively close range.

One thing to consider. On
...Show more

Much appreciate the link Steve. I have done the blow out of the sensors and cleaned the contacts. Will test it out when this rain ever stops.

Fantastic picture by the way !

Birdie

Aug 13, 2016 at 04:47 PM
suteetat
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Question for those with the 300 f/4PF VR

Mine is definitely faster than 200-500 by quite a bit on both D810 and D500.

Aug 13, 2016 at 04:54 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Question for those with the 300 f/4PF VR

Mine is just few days old with me. On D500 it is instant. faster than any lens I ever had, way faster than 200-500.
You may want to check your camera focus setting.

Aug 14, 2016 at 11:01 AM
ariel777
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Question for those with the 300 f/4PF VR

It's my experience, also, that the 300/4PF is considerably faster than the 200-500 on both the D500 and the D810. It's also my experience that a tele prime (whether it be a 2.8 or a 4.0) is superior, across the board, to any zoom. Admittedly, though, a fixed aperture zoom is closer in overall performance than a variable zoom, for obvious reasons.

Aug 14, 2016 at 04:28 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Question for those with the 300 f/4PF VR

Hardcore wrote:
Ya my 300mm PF is faster to focus than my Sigma sport.

Well glad it is working well for you. Need to test mine some more.

suteetat wrote:
Mine is definitely faster than 200-500 by quite a bit on both D810 and D500.

Wish I could say the same thing More testing in order.

nugeny wrote:
Mine is just few days old with me. On D500 it is instant. faster than any lens I ever had, way faster than 200-500.
You may want to check your camera focus setting.

What setting are you using. I have tried several.

Thanks
Birdie

Aug 14, 2016 at 04:28 PM
TimMunsey
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Question for those with the 300 f/4PF VR

I used it for a little while in Norway, compared to 300 F/2.8 initial acquisition is slow, I had it set on VR sport I wonder if that slows down focusing I normally never use VR. Once locked on it's a great performer as long as you don't go near the sun as it handles flare poorly.

Tim

Aug 15, 2016 at 12:01 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Question for those with the 300 f/4PF VR

Steve Perry wrote:
One thing to consider. On my last trip my 300 PF started out terrible - and my 200-500 wasn't much better. Both lenses struggled to get a lock on moving subjects, especially the 300 PF. I thought there was an actual problem with my camera, but first decided to blow off the AF sensors under the mirror box. Sure enough, a little dust bunny fell out and my lenses instantly went back to normal.

Here's more info on how to:

http://youtu.be/gEDzAMm1FCc

Steve, I hope this isn't too forward since we don't know each other that well, but...

I think I love you.

(Was having issues with my 300 PF occasionally refusing to focus if the start position was far from the target position, but once roughed in, it was quick. Blew out the AF sensors and it's back to normal.)

Aug 15, 2016 at 06:40 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Question for those with the 300 f/4PF VR

binary visions wrote:
Steve, I hope this isn't too forward since we don't know each other that well, but...

I think I love you.

(Was having issues with my 300 PF occasionally refusing to focus if the start position was far from the target position, but once roughed in, it was quick. Blew out the AF sensors and it's back to normal.)

Glad to help.

Aug 15, 2016 at 07:13 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Question for those with the 300 f/4PF VR

ariel777 wrote:
It's my experience, also, that the 300/4PF is considerably faster than the 200-500 on both the D500 and the D810. It's also my experience that a tele prime (whether it be a 2.8 or a 4.0) is superior, across the board, to any zoom. Admittedly, though, a fixed aperture zoom is closer in overall performance than a variable zoom, for obvious reasons.

Thank you , hope I get to the point that I can say the same in regards to the 300 f/4

TimMunsey wrote:
I used it for a little while in Norway, compared to 300 F/2.8 initial acquisition is slow, I had it set on VR sport I wonder if that slows down focusing I normally never use VR. Once locked on it's a great performer as long as you don't go near the sun as it handles flare poorly.

Tim

Appreciate it Tim. Yes, it does not like the sun , that is for sure.

Birdie

Aug 15, 2016 at 07:30 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Question for those with the 300 f/4PF VR

Af-c and 3D for wildlife
birdied wrote:
Well glad it is working well for you. Need to test mine some more.

Wish I could say the same thing More testing in order.

What setting are you using. I have tried several.

Thanks
Birdie

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:20 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.