Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Which lenses for golf

Jon Joshua
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which lenses for golf

I'm planning to shoot a private golf outing. What are some of the good lenses to use on the long end?

Aug 12, 2016 at 08:38 AM
cocodrillo
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which lenses for golf

As long as you can get -- definitely over 400 and with extenders on one body; something like a 100-400 on the other for around the greens. The longer the lens, less the angle in to the golfer, meaning it can look more like your staring straight down the fairway at them. You could also go super wide if you have a close to latest generation video-capable camera, film the tee shots and clip frames.

Aug 12, 2016 at 08:43 AM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which lenses for golf

Camera is a Canon 1DX Mark II or 1DX coupled with a 400 2.8 with a 1.4 TC off the T's and fairways and a 70-200 2.8 around the greens and the venue's are high school and D-3 college. I also used my 7D Mark II with these lenses with very good results.

Good luck
Frank

Aug 12, 2016 at 09:59 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which lenses for golf

Jon Joshua wrote:
I'm planning to shoot a private golf outing. What are some of the good lenses to use on the long end?

I agree with the others for using the longest telephoto you've got - 100-400, 150-600, etc. and a wide angle for some closer shots

Aug 12, 2016 at 02:41 PM
gene2632
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which lenses for golf

I will go the other way, assuming this is a golf outing and not a tournament. You will need to be very mobile to get around to everyone in the event so consider the 70-200 with a 1.4 TC or a 300 f4 if you have it. I had one client whose outing I did for 17 years. Never once brought anything longer than a 300 and it all worked out just fine. If it is a real tournament, then yes, you need to go long on the glass but not for a simple golf outing.

Aug 13, 2016 at 07:14 PM
leewoolery
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which lenses for golf

Jon Joshua wrote:

Jon:

I use a 400 f/2.8 for all of my golf and sometimes with a 1.4 converter.

Also see if club pro will give you a golf cart to shoot the events or matches so you can stay very mobile and ahead of the action.

Try to get a good sampling of images off the tee, fairway, putting, chipping, rough, sand traps and stay low and out of everyone's view.

Good luck with your venture.

© Lee Woolery Speedshot Photo

Aug 14, 2016 at 12:07 PM
Jon Joshua
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which lenses for golf

I think that I'm going to borrow a 400 2.8 and use that on my 1.3x crop 1D4. I think that I have enough other kit to make this work.

Thanks for the advice.

Aug 15, 2016 at 10:24 AM
gtjohnson
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which lenses for golf

Jon, a lighter option (and maybe a better choice) would be a 300 2.8 with 1.4x or 2.0x. One thing very different about shooting on a golf course (as opposed to the sideline) is that you are often lugging that gear on hikes up and down slopes to get to another hole or another group and that continues all day long. Unless you are in pretty good shape physically, you'll be feeling that by the end of the outing. However, if the 400 is what is available it'll be fantastic paired with the 1D4. Don't be afraid to use a 1.4x with that for even more length. You almost can't have too much reach on the golf course (other than around the greens, of course).

Come back after the event and post some shots and your thoughts on whatever lens you end up using. It'll be a great finish to an interesting thread.

Thanks for posting!
Gary

Aug 16, 2016 at 06:37 AM
leewoolery
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which lenses for golf

Jon Joshua wrote:
I think that I'm going to borrow a 400 2.8 and use that on my 1.3x crop 1D4. I think that I have enough other kit to make this work.

Thanks for the advice.

Jon:

Make sure the club gives you a cart to use all day for your event.

Aug 16, 2016 at 12:30 PM
Jon Joshua
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which lenses for golf

I definitely have a cart to use for the day.

Aug 17, 2016 at 06:16 AM
Jon Joshua
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which lenses for golf

To follow up...

I used my 1D4 with a 400 2.8 L IS II and my 1Ds2 with a 80-200 2.8 L for all of the golf shots with excellent results.

The 400 2.8 is a beast of a lens and I received a few comments when I brought it out. If I were doing this on a regular basis, I would definitely be buying one.

My 6D with 17-35 2.8 L and 24-105 L IS worked great for the event registration, lunch, and awards.

Thanks for the advice!

Sep 29, 2016 at 09:16 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.