New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · How was this created?

mikekeating
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How was this created?

OK, I was watching the olympics last night and they were showing images of the athletes performing their respective sports. I noticed on the second or third image that the athlete was "moving", just the athlete. It was the same image, but they would slightly rotate it or slightly zoom in on the athlete. But the background stayed the same.

I do not even know how to describe it well enough to ask the question. Forgive me, I spend most of my time in LR, I opened PS once and it hissed at me, I squeaked like a 8 year old girl and then closed it.

Aug 12, 2016 at 07:39 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How was this created?

I am in no way an authority on these images but might I suggest focus stacking?
The experts will chime in when they read your post.
Dan

Aug 12, 2016 at 08:28 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How was this created?

Ken Burns effect? Some are using multi-camera rigs.

Aug 12, 2016 at 08:30 AM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How was this created?

I noticed it as well. There's a technique that's PP intensive that the History Channel used (uses?) with stills, but I doubt that's what is being done here due to time constraints. My guess is something like a 1,000 fps video.

Aug 12, 2016 at 12:14 PM
Tom In Arizona
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How was this created?

mikekeating wrote:
Forgive me, I spend most of my time in LR, I opened PS once and it hissed at me, I squeaked like a 8 year old girl and then closed it.

Hi Mike...

Can't help answer your question, but your quote about PS is absolutely the best description of how I also feel about that monster that I've ever read!.

Thanks
Tom

Aug 12, 2016 at 12:18 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How was this created?

To me ps was like algebra in high school. One day it clicked and I got it but up until then how could letters equal numbers. I tried to read this ps book and that but most were glorified user manuals which ps lacked except as a help file. Then started watching this video and that and would go step by step with the video then I knew how to do that action but I also knew a little bit of why to use it. The Scott Kelby did his first seven step video and the light came on. But I've not touched the latest ps since I've not been doing much photography in the last year thanks to having surgery last October and not getting out of the rehab bed until Christmas. Then still not able to walk without crutches until March. Then a cane is still used from time to time.

Aug 12, 2016 at 11:42 PM
mikekeating
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How was this created?

Bernie wrote:
I noticed it as well. There's a technique that's PP intensive that the History Channel used (uses?) with stills, but I doubt that's what is being done here due to time constraints. My guess is something like a 1,000 fps video.

That may make sense. I gave another google-fu session to try and find the technique, and nothing. I just thought it was cool, maybe something to try for the upcoming season, but I guess it was not meant to be.

Aug 15, 2016 at 10:06 AM
joychris
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How was this created?

If you're talking about a still image where part of the subject moves, it can be done pretty easily in After Effects. If you do this stuff everyday, a sequence can be created pretty quick, fast enough for broadcast turnarounds. Here's a quick tutorial.

Aug 15, 2016 at 02:57 PM
mikekeating
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How was this created?

joychris wrote:
If you're talking about a still image where part of the subject moves, it can be done pretty easily in After Effects. If you do this stuff everyday, a sequence can be created pretty quick, fast enough for broadcast turnarounds. Here's a quick tutorial.

THATS IT!!!!

Now I apparently need to get AE . . .

Aug 16, 2016 at 10:21 AM
joychris
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How was this created?

mikekeating wrote:
THATS IT!!!!

Now I apparently need to get AE . . .

I've been editing audio and video for more than a decade and for some reason AE just doesn't click with me. I tired learning it just for this technique after I saw a surfing movie that used it a bunch. If I wanted to use it more, I'd probably just pay someone on Fiverr to animate a few images or find a preset for sale.

Aug 18, 2016 at 04:53 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.