FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Castle Calm

Lobohowler
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Castle Calm

Sundown last night after a nice rain. First visit - an amazing place. C&C welcome, and thanks for looking.

Edited on Aug 18, 2016 at 08:50 PM · View previous versions

Aug 11, 2016 at 06:49 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Castle Calm

I like 2 better. 1 feels truncated on the left for my taste. I like the reflection of light in 2.

Good job on 2. Thanks for sharing. Scott

Aug 11, 2016 at 07:04 PM
Brev00
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Castle Calm

Both are very nice and I would love to have been there. Nicely layered pics with great, cloudy sky, cool land and mountains in mid scene, and rocky stream with reflections. I think the tree on the left is causing some framing issues. I like it uncropped and straight in the first shot but the overall framing is a touch more square than I might like. The wider crop in #2 is great but now the tree is cropped and leaning. Odd how the lines of the trees are so different frame to frame. The first seems more level and I think I prefer it overall. The mountains are larger and the water with its reflections along the left make a nice leading curve.

Aug 12, 2016 at 11:19 AM
Lobohowler
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Castle Calm

Scott: Thanks for your comments - very much appreciated to hear from a guy who has posted beautiful Castle Mountain images - I love the shot you posted framed from the east.

Brev00: Thank you a your comments, all of which are very well taken. I completely agree about the tree on the left and the aspect ratio on #1. I can explain how the lines of the tree look different in the two images. #1 is actually stitched from 3 vertical shots. I did this just in case I wanted to print large later. Unfortunately the left-most image doesn't include more of that tree. Ugh! I could add more image on the right, but then it makes the mountain look smaller, and it is precisely the fact that the mountain looks larger in #1 that appeals to me. Image #2 is a single shot with the classic framing. I'm pretty sure I used the electronic level, but it could be tilted. The curve in the river there makes it look tilted almost no matter how things are oriented. Thanks again for your comments.

Edited on Aug 13, 2016 at 12:05 AM · View previous versions

Aug 12, 2016 at 07:33 PM
bill s
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Castle Calm

Tough choice but I like image number two just a little better. Nice!

Aug 12, 2016 at 11:58 PM
Rohanban
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Castle Calm

I like #2 more, because of the cloud patterns. Personally I want a bit more 'pop' in the image. Maybe increase the shadows slightly and then play with the color luminance

Aug 17, 2016 at 11:27 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Castle Calm

#2 would be my favorite also

Aug 18, 2016 at 02:55 AM
bill s
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Castle Calm

I'm piling on. Number two for the win. Very nice.

Aug 18, 2016 at 03:01 AM
Lobohowler
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Castle Calm

bill S, kmunroe: Thanks for your comments.

Rohanban: Thanks for your suggestions. I agree that more "pop" would help. I increased shadow detail and luminance a bit in the edited version of #2.

Aug 18, 2016 at 08:50 PM
Tuan Le
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Castle Calm

The second, more balanced image, is my favorite. Beautiful place.

Aug 18, 2016 at 09:20 PM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Castle Calm

I like the light better on 2

Aug 19, 2016 at 04:27 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.