Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Apologies for the long question

davholla

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Apologies for the long question

I recently read the book "extreme close up photography and focus stacking"
http://www.crowood.com/details.asp?isbn=9781847977199

One idea he had was to make glass observation cells and the results are quite good.
Obviously not essential for ground based inverts but for aquatic like this essential.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/123213588@N03/14496944016/in/faves-14586608@N08/
(not my photo hence why I linked it)
However
a) I don't like the idea of making these
b) I often travel abroad to visit family. This photo IMHO could have been a lot better if it had been in clear plastic/glass box and the sensor had not been so damaged, it has now been retired as a camera.
IMG_9616_1dragonflynymph by davholla2002, on Flickr
However where I took it was 4 flights,2 buses and a 30 min jeep flight from my home and a glass box might not have survived the journey

So are there any plastic boxes that could be used? What do people think about these ones? Has anyone tried something like this?

https://www.bagsxl.com/giftboxes-crystal-clear-fplb216.html
The ideal solution would be a plastic box that comes with some sort of food free, but I doubt that would be good enough quality.

Aug 11, 2016 at 09:18 AM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Apologies for the long question

Not quite sure what you are aiming to photograph but for small aquatic bugs I've found a white saucer is adequate.
If you are talking about trapping land bugs, I think any container like that linked to would cause problems if you try to shoot through the sides with reflections.
I often trap bugs in the house with a glass and piece of card. I then turn the glass upside down onto a suitable platform, wait for the bug to calm down a bit or give it some sugar syrup, lift the glass and the photograph the bug.

Brian v.

Aug 12, 2016 at 12:46 AM
davholla

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Apologies for the long question

I meant like little observation cells to take photos. I think I have an idea of what to now though from other forums.

Aug 12, 2016 at 01:45 AM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Apologies for the long question

davholla wrote:
I meant like little observation cells to take photos. I think I have an idea of what to now though from other forums.

Yes but do you mean aquatic or terrestrial subjects ?
Brian v.

Aug 12, 2016 at 03:18 AM
davholla

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Apologies for the long question

Mainly aquatic but possible sometimes terrestial for fast moving arthropods like beetles or centipedes

Aug 12, 2016 at 05:12 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Apologies for the long question

I have long had the idea of making something like this but have not had the encounters with aquatic life which would require it. If you go ahead, you might consider non-reflective glass, which I believe is used for framing prints. Aquarium silicon rubber cement is widely available

You might also consider some kind of movable background , in some dark colour, to bring the subject to the front.

Lighting from above is probably the best option.

I am not going to suggest that you immerse an expensive lens in water, but some shots might be obtainable with the lens at an angle. In terms of optics, you need an air gap between the water and the front of the lens, e.g. a filter attached tightly.

There is a whole world of underwater photography.

Hariold

Aug 13, 2016 at 02:01 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.