New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · A Wintry Scene

Brev00
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A Wintry Scene

Obviously from the past and also from my past home state. It is very unlikely I will capture such a scene in Tulsa, OK. This is from Chester, NJ:

Aug 11, 2016 at 12:27 AM
Linda Shorey
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A Wintry Scene

I don't know if it's the processing or the composition of the gnarly trees on each side, or that I'm from Maine, but whatever, I love this image! With all the chaos of the bare bushes and small trees, it shouldn't work (IMO), but I find it very engaging.

Aug 11, 2016 at 12:44 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A Wintry Scene

It is the processing and it works for me in a fanciful, storybook image kind of way. I am especially drawn to the lighting and textures of the bark on the sides. Rather than pull my eye away from the center of the scene, they offer dreamlike sentries. Maybe a bit of CCW rotation to correct?
Scott

Aug 11, 2016 at 12:58 PM
lazlo369
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A Wintry Scene

Beautiful and in this heatwave it just feels good to look at it

Aug 11, 2016 at 02:45 PM
DaleBerlin
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A Wintry Scene

Really nice image, and I too like the tree trucks framing the scene. Its so busy that it is not busy. 95 today, I want to jump in that pond.

Aug 11, 2016 at 04:01 PM
Brev00
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A Wintry Scene

Linda Shorey wrote:
I don't know if it's the processing or the composition of the gnarly trees on each side, or that I'm from Maine, but whatever, I love this image! With all the chaos of the bare bushes and small trees, it shouldn't work (IMO), but I find it very engaging.

Thank you so much, Linda! I like taking the chaos of a slice of reality and seeing what I can do with it. It rarely works as well as this, though (one of my personal faves).

---------------------------------------------

sbeme wrote:
It is the processing and it works for me in a fanciful, storybook image kind of way. I am especially drawn to the lighting and textures of the bark on the sides. Rather than pull my eye away from the center of the scene, they offer dreamlike sentries. Maybe a bit of CCW rotation to correct?
Scott

CCW? Yeah the processing was definitely key. I started off inspired by a Flickr friend who does noirish black and whites. I wanted to bring some of that moody darkness into this scene. After adjusting in Perfect Effects 8 (I am now up to version 10), I converted using Silver Efex (no updates from Nik), starting with the Wet Rocks preset and adjusting from there. A very interesting comment. I never thought the trees were dreamlike. Thanks!

lazlo369 wrote:
Beautiful and in this heatwave it just feels good to look at it

Thanks! Over 100 here in Tulsa today so I know what you mean!

DaleBerlin wrote:
Really nice image, and I too like the tree trucks framing the scene. Its so busy that it is not busy. 95 today, I want to jump in that pond.

One of the reasons I took this shot was purely practical: I could not walk into the scene with the ice being so thick and hard. I had to settle for the outsider's view. So, no diving! I am going to really miss these sorts of wintry photo walks and hikes. The images are so much better than what I can get during these 99 degree summers. The New Jersey landscape is so much more inviting any time of year than what I find in Tulsa especially within a short walk or drive from my house. Thanks for your reply!

Aug 11, 2016 at 04:59 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A Wintry Scene

CCW=counterclockwise

Aug 11, 2016 at 06:46 PM
Dougo
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A Wintry Scene

I had very similar thoughts to Linda on this, that it shouldn't work, but it just does, wonderful tonal range as well.

Cheers Ray

Aug 12, 2016 at 01:36 AM
Jim Dockery
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A Wintry Scene

Very nice - great trees, busy yes, but everything leads into the house. Agree with the CCW - my only niggle.

Aug 13, 2016 at 09:13 AM
Brev00
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A Wintry Scene

Dougo wrote:
I had very similar thoughts to Linda on this, that it shouldn't work, but it just does, wonderful tonal range as well.

Cheers Ray

Jim Dockery wrote:
Very nice - great trees, busy yes, but everything leads into the house. Agree with the CCW - my only niggle.

Thank you Ray and Jim! I do have a tendency to shoot scenes that should not work. I guess once in a while one beats the odds.

Aug 13, 2016 at 11:57 AM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.