New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Planning for coastal Norway

EverLearning
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Planning for coastal Norway

We are looking to do a coastal Norway trip, with a strong emphasis on photography (but not exclusively, as my wife is more interested in seeing than photographing). We have done a bit of research, but so far have a sense of what we want and don't want, but not who might be the best fit.

Want:

a) strong emphasis on coastal Norway
b) chance to see the little coastal towns and not just big ports
c) Great photographic opportunities
d) Nice cabin and good food (but see b) in the don't need)
e) 10 to 15 days is optimal (not counting transatlantic travel days)
f) open to more 'active' type trips (hiking, etc.) but not a requirement

Don't want and/or don't need:

a) on boat with 3000 of our 'closest friends'
b) 5 star accommodations, 5 star food and butler service
c) a sizable part of the trip being in England, Scotland, Ireland, Sweden, Denmark, etc.

We understand that Norway is expensive and expect to pay a fair bit to go, but not $12K to $15K each (excluding flights)!

I understand late June has the long days, but then doesn't that also translate to a lot of harsh light? What are good time(s) to go; photography-wise (note: not targeting northern lights).

Aug 10, 2016 at 09:06 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Planning for coastal Norway

Anybody? It is supposed to be one of the most beautiful places to go for landscape photography. With all the amazing photographers on FM and all the traveling done, somebody must have some insight on how to best see coastal Norway.

Aug 12, 2016 at 10:31 PM
JohnC
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Planning for coastal Norway

I used Nordic Visitor, you can choose Budget, Comfort, or Luxury accomodations and class of rental car. Decide where you want to go and they will book and route your trip complete with a personalized atlas with points of interest and optional tours etc. The car came with GPS and local phone with some airtime included.

Aug 13, 2016 at 07:43 AM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Planning for coastal Norway

JohnC, very interesting! I need to do further research, but the 11 day 'Fjord Tour with Pulpit Rock' looks very promising. Start and end in Oslo, with stops in Trondheim, Bergen, Flam (fjord cruise in this area) and Stavanger. It has a 1 1/2 day Hurtigruten cruise from Trondheim to Bergen. It might just do the trick. It looks like a nice way to see the big cities (Oslo and Bergen), the country side and the fjords.

I had a half day stop in Stockholm a few years back (cruise ship) and regretted that I didn't have more time to explore. I noticed Nordic Visitor has a 5 day Historic Stockholm tour that could very nicely back end the Norwegian one.

The Quality accommodations look excellent, but Comfort looks quite fine (your thoughts JohnC?).

One thing I am curious about. This trip would have an emphasis on photography and exploring/experiencing. From a photography perspective, going December-February would mean very little light (and an unhappy wife! ). Going in late June would mean an abundance of light (almost all day), but wouldn't that light be mostly harsh, high/direct light that would be less than desirable for photography? With photography in mind (and not looking to photograph Northern Lights) what would be the best time(s) to go (we are very flexible)?

Aug 13, 2016 at 01:09 PM
Henry W
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Planning for coastal Norway

Take a look at the Norwegian "mail boats" that visit nearly every small port along the coast.
The obvious disadvantage is you have no control over time of day.
I would use this trip as a "sampler" to allow you to decide which area to revisit at a later date.

Aug 13, 2016 at 01:37 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Planning for coastal Norway

Can anybody comment on best time to go; especially from a photography perspective? I'm thinking maybe may so that is not light all day, the waterfalls have some volume, coastal nesting grounds are active and the norwegian national holiday occurs (don't know if that's as special as implied). Thoughts?

Aug 20, 2016 at 03:22 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Planning for coastal Norway

Forgot to also ask if anybody can comment on how scenic the rail is from Oslo to Bergen or the trip from Kirkenes to Oslo, as there are a few interesting looking trips that include traveling those parts.

Thanks

Aug 20, 2016 at 03:47 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Planning for coastal Norway

bumping this once, as I haven't received any comments on time of year or the two different 'legs' of possible trips (rail is from Oslo to Bergen or the trip from Kirkenes to Oslo).

Thanks

Aug 23, 2016 at 08:07 PM
Mnd1
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Planning for coastal Norway

It is bright during the day but the sun is never that high and harsh. You get lots of early morning and evening light as the sun hardly sets at all.

I worked for a while in Bergen and took a 5 hour boat trip around the fjords. It was mid summer and bright sunshine. It was warm enough to wear a t-shirt but cool on the boat. I got a severe red neck afterwards. Not too many sunny days though.

Aug 29, 2016 at 07:56 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Planning for coastal Norway

That is good to know Mnd1 (re the light never that high and harsh). That certainly addresses one of my bigger concerns.

I imagine you must traveled between Bergen and Oslo a few times. Is there much to see from the train on that trip?

Aug 30, 2016 at 11:02 PM
Monika C
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Planning for coastal Norway

You could check out http://www.lofotentours.com

Aug 31, 2016 at 10:46 AM
Mnd1
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Planning for coastal Norway

EverLearning wrote:
I imagine you must traveled between Bergen and Oslo a few times. Is there much to see from the train on that trip?

I used to fly into Bergen so never got to Oslo from there. I did drive a couple of times about 100 miles East of Bergen into the Hardangervidda. Wonderful scenery. In the early 80's the roads out in the interior were scary. Driving into pitch-black narrow tunnels and going from sunshine was an experience. I can imagine the train would be very frustrating. I would want to ask them to stop so I could take some pictures.

Aug 31, 2016 at 11:46 AM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Planning for coastal Norway

Mnd1, I can just imagine the response to a 'crazy Canuck' asking them to stop the train for a picture. ! You commented about scary roads in the 80s. Any idea what they are like now? Would it be reasonable to rent a car an drive to Bergen?

Monika, thanks for the link. My wife isn't into photography so I'm really not looking for a workshop type trip. Also, our wish is to see the whole coastal region rather than focus on a small part of it.

Sep 02, 2016 at 12:33 PM
Henry W
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Planning for coastal Norway

The only way to see it all easily is on a mail boat.
I would start looking here:
http://www.tourvacationstogo.com/hurtigruten_cruises.cfm

Sep 02, 2016 at 01:41 PM
Mnd1
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Planning for coastal Norway

EverLearning wrote:
Mnd1, I can just imagine the response to a 'crazy Canuck' asking them to stop the train for a picture. ! You commented about scary roads in the 80s. Any idea what they are like now? Would it be reasonable to rent a car an drive to Bergen.

Sorry but I have no idea regarding the state of the roads nowadays. I did see a Norwegian movie last year set in the wilder areas of Norway and the roads looked very good. BTW the movie was called "Trollhunter" and it wasn't as bad as it sounds. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1740707/

I punched in Oslo to Bergen into Google Maps and that indicated a duration of 6hr 40minutes. Doesn't sound too bad
but it will take much, much longer with the constant stopping to take awesome pictures.

When you get to Bergen be sure to check out the Bryggen. Whatever you do, no matter how hot and inviting the water looks do not be tempted into going swimming. On a warm weekend day a friend and I noticed these healthy Norwegians diving into the fjord from a diving board just outside Bergen. We got our swimming gear, went back and ripping our clothes off ran to the diving board and boing, dived in. I screamed underwater. My testicles eventually re-emerged about 5 hours later, my Mickey Mouse watch never did recover. Damn it was cold, obvious in hindsight. Mid summer meltwater, fjord 100's feet deep. Water was frigid.

Have a great time.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/norway/bergen-and-the-western-fjords

Sep 04, 2016 at 06:54 AM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Planning for coastal Norway

Thanks for the update Mnd1. That swimming experience sounds like a form of birth control! Good that the 'boys' re-emerged five hours later. Definitely not something I will be trying.

Henry, we are indeed looking at hurtigruten cruises. Looks good!

Sep 04, 2016 at 10:16 AM
billb3

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Planning for coastal Norway

best bet for coastal Norway is by Hirtigruten or cruise ship
Cruise ship will be from Copenhagen or Southampton/Dover which adds a sea day thru the oil and gas fields each way.
Hirtigruten may stop in a lot more small villages but those stops can be midnight and for very short periods of time
mail and freight on, mail and freight off and go.
By car you end up on ferries which often only go once or twice a day, which makes planning interesting logistically. Tunnels through mountains can close due to an accident for days. Alternate routes can bungle plans.
If you're going to stay in southrrn Norway then May thru September should be nice. If you want to do Honningsvag/North Cape then that's pretty much July and the high for the day will be 50ºF.
Keep in mind the western coast of Norway is tempered by the Gulf Stream. You won't find palm tees but you might not find snow all Winter either. You'll see snow not very far away on the mountain tops, depending where you are on the coast even in August.

Sep 12, 2016 at 12:00 AM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Planning for coastal Norway

Thanks for the input billb3. We are looking at Hurtigruten; specifically, the Voyage of Discovery, which goes Bergen – Kirkenes – Trondheim. Probably early May.

One thing we are struggling with is how to get to Bergen from Oslo. I understand it is one of the most scenic trips in Europe. Unfortunately, the train does not have any outside platforms on any cars, so I would be taking pictures through the window. They advise me that the train travels 80 - 100kpm, so taking pictures through the window would be a waste of time. We are considering driving, either Highway 7 or 40. The only thing I have not been able to determine is if there are shoulders along either of those highways like in N. America. If there are, great! We'll drive. If there aren't, then I can't take pictures, so I might as well take the train.

If anybody can comment on this, I would appreciate it.

Sep 12, 2016 at 11:19 PM
billb3

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Planning for coastal Norway

For the most part expect one lane in each direction, no shoulders/breakdown lane, but there will be many little gravel turnouts for trucks to pull over and let cars by ( or tractors or what-not ) often at scenic spots to also take pics. A real popular scenic overlook might even get an asphalt turnout large enough for a tourist bus to stop so 60 people can get out and do the paparazzi thing.

There are literally hundreds of gopro and whatnot videos on youtube documenting the roads of Norway via truck, bicycle, motorcycle, car, camper and also the train not limited to but including between Oslo and Bergen. Like this:

You're gonna have a great time !!

Sep 13, 2016 at 11:24 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.