New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Phoenix area in October

RobCD
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Phoenix area in October

I'd really appreciate any suggestions or advice regarding a possible trip to Phoenix in October. I'll have 3 to 4 days that I can spend on photography starting in Phoenix. I'm trying to determine whether it would be better to search for locations within a 2 to 3 hour radius of the Phoenix area - or - would I get more out of driving 6 to 8 hours - maybe to northern Arizona and into Utah. I've been to the Grand Canyon, Zion, Valley of Fire, Death Valley, Sedona, and Flagstaff but I haven't been to Page AZ, Arches, Dead Horse Point, Canyonlands, or Bryce Canyon. And while I have been to Phoenix a couple of times it wasn't photography related so I'm not very familiar with the area from a landscape photography perspective (outside of spending a little time in Sedona and Flagstaff a few years back).

So anyway since I'm more familiar with some of the locations in northern Arizona and southern Utah I guess I'm wondering if anything in the Phoenix area compares (in your opinion) and if so is there enough to justify spending 3 to 4 days. I'm open to short moderate hikes and I don't mind moderate crowds but would in most cases I'd prefer to stay away from the biggest crowds either by avoiding altogether or by going at less busy times.

Thanks again for any advice.

Aug 09, 2016 at 10:43 PM
KCook0
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Phoenix area in October

Linky to get you started -

Phoenix for a weekend

Kelly Cook

Aug 10, 2016 at 01:10 AM
Smousefam5
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Phoenix area in October

There are some beautiful places down towards Tucson, especially if you love to shoot birds.

Aug 10, 2016 at 01:44 AM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Phoenix area in October

http://ag.arizona.edu/bta/

Mid-late October brings fantastic fall color to the Sedona area.

Grand Staircase National Monument begins just across the border with Utah. Plenty of redrock and slot canyons!

Edited on Aug 10, 2016 at 09:32 PM · View previous versions

Aug 10, 2016 at 09:50 AM
RobCD
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Phoenix area in October

Thanks everyone for the great info so far! I'm reading and researching and will have a plan soon .

Aug 10, 2016 at 06:47 PM
jdc562
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Phoenix area in October

In connection with my request for help on trip planning during the monsoon weather in Arizona, I received a lot of very useful information, some of which may also help you:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1440704

I have been to southeastern Utah in early November. Even though friends living there said it was a mediocre fall that year for color, I thought the area between Bryce and Monument Valley was beautiful, especially along the back roads that follow the stream beds through the narrow red-rock canyons. There are some sample photos here:
https://cubit.smugmug.com/Nature/Southern-Utah

---John

Aug 10, 2016 at 07:14 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Phoenix area in October

Within 2-3 hrs of PHX as OP requested - in addition to Sedona as noted by Greg, there are the Superstition Mountains and the Kofa Mountains, at least landscape wise. Start at Lost Dutchman State Park and explore more as time allows. I go to the Kofas about half a dozen times a year, it is a great place to shoot the Milky Way on clear nights, parts are easily accessible with any vehicle. The real fun is further back, east of Signal Peak, but that requires a more robust transportation and willingness (and prep) to hike for 2-4 hrs one way through the desert.

Aug 11, 2016 at 02:29 AM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Phoenix area in October

Suggest you peruse the October (and Sept/Nov) reports from:
http://wildinarizona.com/wordpress/?m=201210
This will give a general idea of when assorted areas hit peak color.

Mid October: http://wildinarizona.com/wordpress/?p=263

The last week of October begins to bring maple and aspen color to the lower (5~6000 ft) elevations of assorted S. Az mountain ranges (Huachuca, Pinaleno, Galiuro, Santa Rita, Catalina, etc.) There are a number of 'famous' canyons to hike, such as Ramsey, Carr, Ash Ck., Cave Ck. (Chiricahua range)., etc., and even more that are relatively unknown and probably a bit harder to access. Timing varies, so no guarantees! (The last few years have brought warmer-than-usual weather to the area in Sept. and Oct, and a notably delayed response from the trees.)

Edited on Aug 13, 2016 at 03:50 AM · View previous versions

Aug 11, 2016 at 10:45 AM
RobCD
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Phoenix area in October

GroovyGeek wrote:
Within 2-3 hrs of PHX as OP requested - in addition to Sedona as noted by Greg, there are the Superstition Mountains and the Kofa Mountains, at least landscape wise. Start at Lost Dutchman State Park and explore more as time allows. I go to the Kofas about half a dozen times a year, it is a great place to shoot the Milky Way on clear nights, parts are easily accessible with any vehicle. The real fun is further back, east of Signal Peak, but that requires a more robust transportation and willingness (and prep) to hike for 2-4 hrs
...Show more

Excellent! I've been researching some of the other suggestions and I'll add these to list. Thanks so much for the help. I'm open to longer hikes but since I only have about 3 to 4 days I was thinking about using this trip partly as a scouting trip and have enough time to visit several locations. This has worked well for me in the past because I usually find out where I want to spend more time in the future and where I don't .

Aug 12, 2016 at 07:05 PM
RobCD
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Phoenix area in October

Greg Campbell wrote:
Suggest you peruse the October (and Sept/Nov) reports from:
http://wildinarizona.com/wordpress/?m=201210
This will give a general idea of when assorted areas hit peak color.

Mid October: http://wildinarizona.com/wordpress/?p=263

The last week of October begins to bring maple and aspen color to the lower elevations of assorted S. Az mountain ranges (Huachuca, Pinaleno, Galiuro, Santa Rita, Catalina, etc.) There are a number of 'famous' canyons to hike, such as Ramsey, Carr, Ash Ck., Cave Ck. (Chiricahua range)., etc., and even more that are relatively unknown and probably a bit harder to access. Timing varies, so no guarantees! (The last few years have brought warmer-than-usual weather
...Show more
Thanks Greg. I've gotten used to putting together a plan that can be adjusted based on where I can find the best color and while I'll most likely be there in October I'm somewhat flexible on my exact dates.

Aug 12, 2016 at 07:12 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.