Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Lens barrel loose on 70-200 lens..any fix?

arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lens barrel loose on 70-200 lens..any fix?

The white lens barrel segment at the front of my 70-200 f/2.8 IS II lens moves forward and back making a metallic noise. This is the small section ahead of the focus ring. The lens elements don't move, just the barrel.

Has anyone had this happen to their lens? Is there any way to tighten something to stop it from moving? I'm guessing if I want it fixed it will be a trip to CPS but thought I'd ask if anyone knows a simple fix.

I'm not sure when this started. I hadn't used the lens in a while and went to use it and noticed this. It then jogged my memory that I had noticed this previously and forgot to look into it further. I don't remember ever dropping the lens and there are no marks on the lens from a drop.

Aug 09, 2016 at 03:25 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lens barrel loose on 70-200 lens..any fix?

Should be an easy fix. Peel back the rubber focus ring and you should find some slightly loose screws in there. Tighten them up, and you're good to go.

This hasn't yet happened on my Mk II, but it did at least a few times on my older Mk I and the 300/4L IS.

Aug 09, 2016 at 03:30 PM
hotdog12
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lens barrel loose on 70-200 lens..any fix?

This hasn't happened on my relatively new 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, but I experienced it on earlier 70-200 f/2.8 zooms (I owned 'em all). jcolwell is right--you should be able to access the loose screws under the rubber.

While you are at it, check out the screws around the base and collar--I had those loosen up on earlier heavily-used 70-200 f/2.8 lenses--one actually fell out!

Aug 09, 2016 at 03:45 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lens barrel loose on 70-200 lens..any fix?

Thanks Jim and hotdog.

I will have a look under the rubber tonight. I was hoping there might be somewhere to access the screw.

Aug 09, 2016 at 05:36 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lens barrel loose on 70-200 lens..any fix?

I peeled back the focus ring rubber but there are no screws located under it. There are two large oval windows with clear tape over them.

Any other ideas of where the screws might be located on this lens?

Aug 09, 2016 at 10:21 PM
D.Hussey
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lens barrel loose on 70-200 lens..any fix?

arbitrage wrote:
I peeled back the focus ring rubber but there are no screws located under it. There are two large oval windows with clear tape over them.

Did you look to see if Roger over at LensRental ever did a tear down of this lens?

Aug 09, 2016 at 10:28 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lens barrel loose on 70-200 lens..any fix?

Here is a video. Looks like there should be a number of holes in the body under the focus rubber. You want the one closest to the front element, and you rotate the focus ring around to access the screws. There should be a total of three.

70-200 Loose Front Element

My old non-IS 70-200 had this problem, but I had no idea it was this easy to fix.

Mark

Aug 09, 2016 at 11:47 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lens barrel loose on 70-200 lens..any fix?

Hey Geoff - don't forget that the screws require JIS type Phillips head drivers. Please be very careful if you try to use regular PH drivers ~ Ron

Aug 10, 2016 at 07:03 AM
James Cripps
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lens barrel loose on 70-200 lens..any fix?

arbitrage wrote:

Did you ever figure this out? Do I need to remove those pieces of tape to find screws under there? My 70-200 2.8IS II is having the same issue. The front part of the lens barrel has become extremely loose and I don’t see any screws to tighten like on the video found online for the first version of the lens.

*edit* Got it! You do indeed just peel back the tape. Amazing. This saved me

Sep 04, 2023 at 05:11 PM
scott_scheetz
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lens barrel loose on 70-200 lens..any fix?

This seems to be a relatively common issue. I've had to tighten those screws on my 70-200mm f/2.8 IS mark I several times over the years. Thankfully (at least on the mark 1 and probably also on the mark II and III), it's not connected to the optical assembly, so you don't have to worry about the optics shifting out of place.

- Slide the rubber focus ring off
- turn the focus ring until the holes closest to the front of the lens line up with the screws. (On the Mark 1, there are 3 screws.)
- Peel back the tape (if it's there)
- Carefully tighten the screws (be extra careful if you use a standard phillips instead of a JIS)
- Put the tape back down
- Put the rubber focus ring back on

A super easy and quick job.

Sep 08, 2023 at 03:41 PM
Photonadave
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lens barrel loose on 70-200 lens..any fix?

Sounds like an application of Loctite 242 Medium Strength Blue, or the like, to the loose screws is needed before retightening them to keep everything flying in formation.

Sep 08, 2023 at 07:15 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.