Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Is it a good idea to print 2x3 form factor for an exhibition?

pixlepeeper
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is it a good idea to print 2x3 form factor for an exhibition?

When I think about it all exhibition photos I've seen had a more "plump" (closer to square) form factor than 2x3 and this is apart from the fact that I can't find mattes for say 10x15 prints (unless I order custom mattes). I'm thinking of cropping my photos to 3x4.

Aug 09, 2016 at 01:19 PM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is it a good idea to print 2x3 form factor for an exhibition?

This question will surely open a can of worms!

I'm of the view that the form factor should match the composition, and the composition should be made within the form factor. All of my recent work is 3x2, so I've composed for that frame. I couldn't crop without wrecking the images.

But I feel your pain re materials! I just managed to get my hands on some 17"x25" matte paper for my largest print size. It's incredibly hard to find in the paper I wanted. All the matte boards will have to be custom cut (but I buy the boards in sheets that have to be cut regardless so that doesn't matter).

Good luck! Rob
www.robdeloephotography.com

Aug 09, 2016 at 01:37 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is it a good idea to print 2x3 form factor for an exhibition?

It's a largely unanswerable question IMHO.

There is a big liking for square format in exhibitions, obviously a throwback to 2 1/14 square film (with the double notched Hasselblad borders etc) but really it depends if it matters on an exhibition by exhibition basis.

Do all shots have to match for crop? Does the subject matter lend itself to a particular shape?

There's lots of variables here

Aug 09, 2016 at 01:55 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is it a good idea to print 2x3 form factor for an exhibition?

PP,

It all depends on the photo, the media, the composition, and your goals. Given that full frame (I'm assuming you are using such), is native 2x3 I do everything I can to keep that aspect ratio. I have displayed and sold a number of pix that maintained 2x3. Another plus is particularly when printing big there are a number of excellent papers in the 17x22 size which gives you room for the pix and area around for matting.

When cropping to say 8x10, it almost always hurts. A lot is given up unless I had that aspect in mind which I rarely do. Parents that want small pix of kids are easy as they like 4x6 which is perfect. 12x16 is also good and I have seen pre-made mat/frames in that size.

I've found the craft chain Michaels has a wide variety of both frames and frames with mats. One has to read carefully as they always list the FRAME size not necessarily the pix size. (This is especially true with mat/frame combos.) Still with some looking and work, I can generally work something out for "value prints."

On the other hand, when I'm doing a show or a large important work, I suck it up and pay for custom work. It always provides dramatically better presentation of the photo. Again, I've found the Michaels custom shop to do a very good to excellent job at prices that aren't cheap, but far less that the true custom shops.

So, I'd disagree that most shows have "fat" formats. I've seen (and done) a variety of sizes and ratios.

Robert

(OTOH, can someone tell me why there is so much 5x7 paper?)

Aug 09, 2016 at 01:56 PM
pixlepeeper
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is it a good idea to print 2x3 form factor for an exhibition?

A local photographer suggested I had the prints mounted on styrene. I called Michael's and they said they did a similar thing with foam core.
I think this creates a more intimate experience for the viewer. I also won't have to care about custom matting and can be the king of my land! Not sure how good it will look (from the side) though. Will go to Michael's and take a look.

Aug 09, 2016 at 05:59 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is it a good idea to print 2x3 form factor for an exhibition?

pixlepeeper wrote:
A local photographer suggested I had the prints mounted on styrene. I called Michael's and they said they did a similar thing with foam core.
I think this creates a more intimate experience for the viewer. I also won't have to care about custom matting and can be the king of my land! Not sure how good it will look (from the side) though. Will go to Michael's and take a look.

You might want to consider gatorboard. It's far more stable than foam core. To my knowledge there isn't any foam core product that won't warp over time. Styrene is better but my impression is gatorboard is even mo bettah.

Aug 09, 2016 at 07:12 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is it a good idea to print 2x3 form factor for an exhibition?

These are all digital mats and frames:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1309960/0?keyword=digital,frame#12499246

Aug 09, 2016 at 08:14 PM
pixlepeeper
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is it a good idea to print 2x3 form factor for an exhibition?

nolaguy wrote:
You might want to consider gatorboard. It's far more stable than foam core. To my knowledge there isn't any foam core product that won't warp over time. Styrene is better but my impression is gatorboard is even mo bettah.

Thanks man. Bayphoto can make my life even easier by doing the printing and mounting at once and it will cost me less as well. How good are their prints? I can order a sample of course.

Alas I was going to support the local community and have a local camera/print store do the printing. (I got a test print from them and it looked very good. They use Epson Pro paper.)

By the way I ordered a calibrator at last. It doesn't seem to be a escape from it!

Aug 09, 2016 at 09:00 PM
dhachey
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is it a good idea to print 2x3 form factor for an exhibition?

nolaguy wrote:

Even better, use aluminum dibond.

Aug 10, 2016 at 12:06 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Is it a good idea to print 2x3 form factor for an exhibition?

pixlepeeper wrote:
Thanks man. Bayphoto can make my life even easier by doing the printing and mounting at once and it will cost me less as well. How good are their prints? I can order a sample of course.

I suppose there are niche boutique printers that may exceed BayPhoto in very specialized papers and genres, but for mainstream, high quality print houses, Bay is world class and their customer service, in my experience, is astonishing. I've corresponded with several sales associates, managers and the president there and they never fail to impress.

They have saved my butt more than once and do a huge business so you can be assured they are replenishing and calibrating constantly. It's a very cool company.

I once had a book/binding job I begged them to turn in a few hours. They marked it high priority and I got no fewer than three calls that afternoon from their folks at various stages of production to make sure this or that would meet my approval. They are, bad ass. And being on the West coast, it gives me two or three more hours of procrastination and they still get the job out for me

They have never once failed me.

Chuck

Aug 10, 2016 at 03:22 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Is it a good idea to print 2x3 form factor for an exhibition?

I agree about BayPhoto. And I have used their styrene backing on larger prints.

to me a key question is the need for uniformity. I generally crop by image for best artistic statement. That said, in my office areas most of my images that are hanging along a wall together maintain the same aspect ratio.
If there is a thematic series along a wall, I would lean more towards consistent aspect ratio.

If it is a show, do they have guidelines? Are you trying to anticipate a juror's preference? You wouldn't expect an art show to have similar sized items. On the other hand, for some shows consistency in mat and frame are required and basic black frame, off-white mat is sometimes encouraged or expected.

Custom and standard frames: framedestination.com

Scott

Aug 10, 2016 at 12:12 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Is it a good idea to print 2x3 form factor for an exhibition?

When I had my shows, I ordered 16" X 20" mats with 10" X 15" cutouts from www.matcutter.com and had good results.

I like the 10 X 15 print size, it fits easily on 11 X 17 paper, which is widely available, is a nice size in a 16 X 20 frame for someone's wall, and lets me compose in camera for the 2:3 aspect ratio.

<Chas>

Aug 11, 2016 at 12:19 AM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Is it a good idea to print 2x3 form factor for an exhibition?

I have never heard of there being any prejudice against the 2x3 format, except for magazine covers (and you've got to be a special to get a fold-out cover).

I remember back in the 70s there was the fad of filing out 35mm negative carriers to show a bit of the film image borders when printed to paper. That proved the image was composed precisely in camera and printed without cropping in the enlarger.

Like this

Aug 28, 2016 at 09:20 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Is it a good idea to print 2x3 form factor for an exhibition?

If the image works for that format some do some don't.

Aug 29, 2016 at 02:23 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.