Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Are table shots still a thing in East Coast USA ?

LeeSimms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Are table shots still a thing in East Coast USA ?

I'm just curious. This Summer I've had 3 requests for old school table shots — during reception you get half of a table to stand up behind the seated side and take a medium size group shot. Now repeat for all tables at reception.

When I assisted (Eastern US) in the 1980's this was a thing, but we almost never do them in The West (I moved to Colorado in 1990).

My requests this Summer have all come from Bride's parents who are from NY / NJ area. Is this still an expected photo obligation at a 2016 reception?

I only ask because I can't remember when I got the request last, then here comes 3 in one Summer.

Anyone?

Aug 09, 2016 at 12:51 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Are table shots still a thing in East Coast USA ?

I still get this request pretty frequently during more traditional Chinese/Vietnamese/Korean weddings. Always happily (at least in appearance to the clients) fulfill that request. It's often a cultural thing of much greater importance than I realize, and I'm not about to fight that.

If I manage to get in early enough in the planning process and they want this, I'll often recommend a "step and repeat" where the guests come to the bride and groom instead. No cramped dining room to navigate, giant table arrangements to dodge, or dinners to interrupt.

Aug 09, 2016 at 01:52 PM
carriedaway
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Are table shots still a thing in East Coast USA ?

I shoot a handful of Middle Eastern weddings each year, and they're the only ones who request this. I think it's definitely a cultural thing, at least around me (Michigan).

Aug 09, 2016 at 01:57 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Are table shots still a thing in East Coast USA ?

Soooo... who requested it There is your answer. :-)

For me, whatever they want, I shoot. I am getting paid the same...

I have not had the request until a few weeks ago, but it was a Vietnamese family with many coming from Vietnam for the wedding. Thankfully the venue had moderate ceilings and neutral colors so bouncing a speed light was easy.

Paul

Paul

Aug 09, 2016 at 01:58 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Are table shots still a thing in East Coast USA ?

I have had variations of this, but not really true table shots. (i.e.- one smaller wedding, the couple wanted a picture of each group of people there to include with their thank-you cards. Basically just grabbing shots of families). Table shots for large weddings sounds tedious, though.

Aug 09, 2016 at 02:08 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Are table shots still a thing in East Coast USA ?

I freaking hate doing table shots.

No guest actually ever wants them taken, they're difficult to light, half the people are back on or at an odd angle. it's almost impossible to get a photo of everyone, it's difficult to get everyone's attention, etc. etc. etc.

And yet, we had table shots at our wedding and every single one of them made the album. Go figure.

Aug 09, 2016 at 03:57 PM
Michael Beard
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Are table shots still a thing in East Coast USA ?

It's been requested maybe once or twice in the past few years. Definitely not required over here!

Aug 09, 2016 at 03:58 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Are table shots still a thing in East Coast USA ?

ZachOly wrote:

No guest actually ever wants them taken, they're difficult to light, half the people are back on or at an odd angle. it's almost impossible to get a photo of everyone, it's difficult to get everyone's attention, etc. etc. etc.

And yet, we had table shots at our wedding and every single one of them made the album. Go figure.

You must have hired a much better photographer

Aug 09, 2016 at 04:07 PM
Chris Cooke
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Are table shots still a thing in East Coast USA ?

I would say about 50% of my weddings want to do group table shots. Its not that common here on the west coast but its very much a requirement for asian weddings, especially chinese. They go to ever table and do a toast with all the guests and often the guests give the couple gifts as they make their way around the reception.
I dont enjoy doing these types of photos but if thats what the client wants I do it. Plus it gets me in front of all the guests, that cant be bad.

Aug 09, 2016 at 05:54 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Are table shots still a thing in East Coast USA ?

Still pretty popular in the south east. It also increases print orders.

Aug 09, 2016 at 06:12 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Are table shots still a thing in East Coast USA ?

I don't get many requests for it. Guests don't all want to participate and then some are super glad to. I have only done this a few times though.

Aug 09, 2016 at 07:08 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Are table shots still a thing in East Coast USA ?

LeeSimms wrote:
who are from NY / NJ area.

There it is.

Aug 09, 2016 at 07:18 PM
canon pants
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Are table shots still a thing in East Coast USA ?

My wedding packages all include an album of only table shots. I barely shoot anything else.

Seriously! What do ppl do with those photos??

Aug 09, 2016 at 08:48 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Are table shots still a thing in East Coast USA ?

ZachOly wrote:

I used to have to do them when I worked for the Italian Studio I used to string for and it was without doubt, the low light and most hated part of my whole day.

I haven't done them for my own weddings anytime this century that's for sure. I remember the last people that asked for them, and that was a long time ago, I told we would have to find a work around or they would have to find another photographer because I would NOT do them.

They are the most frustrating, interrupting, waste of time, crap, unwanted photos that you could ever conceive. And if there is one time you NEVER want to be interrupted, ever, it's when you are trying to have a feed.

Your angle for these shots is the one you have the best access at because with a 500 guest wedding or even 100, there usually isn't a lot of choices you have. You have to try and yell at the people whom have probably seen you coming and buried their heads hoping you'd not notice their table of 10 and pass right on by. You are hoping the same damn thing but oh no, there is always one pissed Uncle or PITA that notices you to everyone's dismay. You don't ever ask if they would like a photo because 7 will say no, 2 will say yes and then after the deliberation they will have one done, you have to wait till the missing person comes back or the people that were missing are now standing in front of you are the other 3 are still searching and inevitably having a chat with someone else on the other side of the room and YOU have to try go return them. UGGGHH!

Next you have to try and heard a number of them round the other guests on other tables jammed in to the joint and with the level of enthusiasm most have ( or don't) it can take 5 min to get 5 people to move 3ft and look at you with an expression that often resembles one of having an AK74 pointed at them rather than a camera.

Rather than just get into position, the women will make the men put their jackets back on which would be a faster process for a mortitian to dress them in their casket than the way they stuff around like a 3 yo dressing themselves. Jacket adorned they will then pull out their pocket comb to make sure their rocking comb over hairstyle is looking great. As they get in position, there will be some modifications to the order of who stands next to who so another 20 sec delay of getting that arrangement just right like it actually mattered any in the first place.

That done, you notice the reflection in the mirror behind them, have half of the other table's guests backs of heads, there is a flower arrangement hiding someone so someone who's already had too much Sauce tries to move it and the thing goes arse over apex or close to it which of course provides excitement they won't shut up about and just look at you for another 2 min. In the mean time a waiter comes with food either to that table and will start serving creating more interruption or you'll get a great shot of them with 15 Dirty dishes from the tables behind in the back ground.

Invariably the lights will be turned right down so you can't really see where the people are looking or if they have expired from boredom, annoyance or frustration in the process.
You take 3 Shots telling them to smile and sure as ship, the second you say thanks, someone will call you back to do another one because they forgot to take their glasses off or just realised Uncle Elmers hairpiece wasn't on straight or the kids tie wasn't done up right.

The people that have moved take another 30 sec to get their attention over the music playing and get back into place for another equally useless shot that they will look at later and say " Oh, that's not really a good shot with all those half finished plates, back of peoples heads, the smart arse kid flipping the bird at the camera and Aunt Obesity shoving a whole Lasagne portion into her gaping cavern of a mouth all at once on the table behind and beside.

Yep, even doing the grip and Grin shots with the B&G outside later you can plough through 500 guests in under 30 min if you have to push but to do these table shots of 15 tables of 10 can take an hour by the time they frig around. And for what?

A lot of inconvenience and annoyance to everyone.
The B&G never want the shots, guests haven't ordered professional shots in years since Iphoneys came along and they do 50 selfies, What the hell is the point these days?

If ever there were a case of do something stupid and useless because that's what everyone else does on these occasions, Table shots are it!

Aug 09, 2016 at 08:58 PM
abadass
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Are table shots still a thing in East Coast USA ?

its pretty much a thing in Hawaii. Most weddingʻs Iʻve shot are Asian and they would like a formal shot with the guests by table. I dislike doing it during dinner because people are eating, and the table is always messy. Lately, my friend (whoʻs the main photog) tells the B&G to do these "table shots" with them on the dance floor or a wall before getting in line for the buffet.

Aug 10, 2016 at 03:35 PM
dccb2009

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Are table shots still a thing in East Coast USA ?

Since all I cover are Asian weddings, none of my clients have ever requested table shots because it's understood that the photographer must cover these shots. We take two group shots for each table, and a typical Asian wedding in North Texas has 30 or more tables.

Aug 11, 2016 at 03:08 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Are table shots still a thing in East Coast USA ?

Rarely get the request and when I do it's for an ethnic wedding in the Chicagoland area. When I get a couple who wants them I tell the B&G that they have to be in each table shot and then the guests will cooperate. Then it becomes fun.

Aug 11, 2016 at 03:38 PM
FIGTREES
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Are table shots still a thing in East Coast USA ?

If anyone has done Jewish weddings you know that table shots are expected. I assume this goes beyond the East coast NY Metro area as well. The best way to deal with them is to request that the bride and groom accompany the photographer to each and every table. I usually tell them that wayward guests magically show up when the couple is at the table and there is less reluctance by the guests during the photography which is usually during eating time. Also, if the bride and groom come along I have never had to do all the tables, because it takes so dam long. The couple always get tired about the mid completion.
Just saying it works.

Joel

Aug 18, 2016 at 04:35 PM
JohnnyArguedas
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Are table shots still a thing in East Coast USA ?

Having shot weddings on the east coast for over 12 years I can tell you that doing table shots is not regional. I had to shoot them a lot when I was starting out and too cheap, and I've also had to do them when I booked a couple that preferred their wedding coverage on the more traditional side. I don't think I've shot them in at least 5 years. I've also shot plenty of Jewish weddings and didn't have to do table shots at any of them. It can just depend on the clients themselves.

Now, I haven't shot weddings as often in NY or NJ, so of the ones I've done there my sample size is probably too small for me to say that it's the same as New England.

Aug 19, 2016 at 08:45 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Are table shots still a thing in East Coast USA ?

Ugh — this has become our internal coordination issue of the Summer. Almost half of our weddings are requesting these now. Frack.

Aug 09, 2017 at 01:31 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.