Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Utah fall itinerary help..

war72
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Utah fall itinerary help..

I have a conference in Vegas Sept 23-35. I was planning to take a few days before or after, either Utah or the Grand Canyon. What would be the best time and place to capture some fall colors?
I am living in Houston now, and Fall colors are a foreign concept in this part of Texas!!
Thanks in advance..

Aug 09, 2016 at 09:27 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Utah fall itinerary help..

Sept is too early for fall color in Southern Utah, not sure about the north rim of the Grand Canyon. Zion is best the first week of November.

Aug 09, 2016 at 10:03 AM
subgenius
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Utah fall itinerary help..

You should definitely go after your conference. Zion and other parks at that elevation are still at least a month away from peak colors. The only spot I can think of and you will need to check is Boulder Mountain where there are a lot of Aspen trees. You can also check Bryce and and Cedar Breaks. Bryce is 9000 ft plus and Cedar Breaks is 10000 ft plus.
As far as the North Rim of the Canyon you may get some leaves turning but I would check the internet and forest service to see what they say. North rim is between 8000 - 9000 ft elevation. Each year is different.

Aug 09, 2016 at 10:35 AM
war72
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Utah fall itinerary help..

Maybe head to Death Valley instead?

Aug 09, 2016 at 11:29 AM
subgenius
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Utah fall itinerary help..

The North Rim would be your best choice. For one thing its much cooler (temp wise) and I think your photo choices are better. Check my Flickr acct for views of th North Rim.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/105570725@N06/

Aug 09, 2016 at 02:05 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Utah fall itinerary help..

ben egbert wrote:
Sept is too early for fall color in Southern Utah, not sure about the north rim of the Grand Canyon. Zion is best the first week of November.

Aspen color comes to the Utah high country in late September. The Cedar Breaks area is a possibility.

Beyond that, Zion is simply a fine place to photograph, fall color or not, as are plenty of other places in the red rock landscape.

Dan

Aug 09, 2016 at 04:10 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Utah fall itinerary help..

I think you'll need to find places at about 9000ft elevation to see aspens, etc. at that time of year. Try the Cedar Canyon / Cedar Breaks area, or N. Rim.

The Lava Point campground in Zion NP north of Virgin is around 8000 and might? be close. In any event, it's a lovely place to pitch a tent!

Aug 09, 2016 at 06:16 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Utah fall itinerary help..

what about the San Juan mountains in Colorado? A little more of a drive, but.....

Aug 09, 2016 at 08:23 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.