Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

I need a super zoom... but which one? Sony? Lumix? Leica??

Ghostinz
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I need a super zoom... but which one? Sony? Lumix? Leica??

I am down sizing my gear a bit. Life has just moved in a different direction for me and I don't have a lot of time for photography anymore. I have too much money tied up in gear I don't use anymore.

So getting rid of my Sony A6000's and some lenses. Probably keep a couple of them, not sure. However I still like taking pictures and want to have a camera with so I want a super zoom. But I am not sure which to get. I have kind of narrowed it down a bit, but wanted some opinions?

Sony RX-10 III or RX-10 II.

I like this camera from Sony. Although I like the constant 2.8 of the first version and second versions, I like the zoom of the third version, so losing a bit of F-Stop might be worth it. Although not sure image quality is as good when you try to stretch things out. Its a nicely built camera. Seems to be sealed the best. A bit pricey for a casual walk around. Not sure the advantage of going with Version 2 or Version 1. Specs seem the same.

Panasonic Lumix FZ1000

Pretty much the same specs as the Sony, although the zoom range is better than the early versions of the RX10, but I would say its not quite as well built in the body. It is less expensive, and I do prefer the way the screen tilts.

Leica V Lux type 114

This seems pretty much like a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000, but they added the Leica logo and charged you $400 to put it on.. ?

I am leaning towards the FZ1000 as the best bang for the buck, but wanted to get some opinions. I do like the build of the Sony, and I have had good luck with both brands. I have Sony A6000's now, and I bought my daughter the FZ1000 as a wedding gift and they seem to like it a lot.

Aug 08, 2016 at 03:42 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I need a super zoom... but which one? Sony? Lumix? Leica??

If you can wait until October, Nikon should also have the DL 24-500 ready to go with, I believe, the same one-inch sensor you'll find in the others.

And yes, the V-Lux is the FZ-1k rebranded. Panasonic does have the best bang-for-the-buck with the FZ, but there is something to be said for the reach of the RX-10 III's lens. The results with the latest RX won't go head-to-head with Canon and Nikon's premier 500 and 600mm super-teles, but it's comparable to shooting the 70-400 on an APS-C camera from an IQ perspective. However, the camera behavior is glacial in comparison.

If you can, you might want to hold off and see how the Nikon compares to the others. They tend to implement Sony's sensors better than anyone else from a color and noise perspective. And the 24-500mm FF equivalent on the zoom would be a nice compromise between the RX-10 III and FZ-1k.

Aug 08, 2016 at 07:06 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I need a super zoom... but which one? Sony? Lumix? Leica??

csjoshi1418 wrote:
If there is the happens in the print calendar so you can the Printable August 2017 Calendar Printable September 2017 calendar Printable July 2017 Calendar right place to download

Spammer reported.

Jun 27, 2017 at 08:58 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I need a super zoom... but which one? Sony? Lumix? Leica??

I think you're looking at the right three choices: Sony RX10 II, RX10 III, and FZ1000. I'm still not sure which I would prefer. The 200/2.8 equiv is very attractive, but so are longer focal length options.

Ghostinz wrote:
Leica V Lux type 114

... they added the Leica logo and charged you $400 to put it on.. ?

That sounds about right. Hasselblad charges a lot more...

Hasselblad Lunar, https://www.dpreview.com/articles/8506444906/hasselblad-lunar-now-shipping

Jun 27, 2017 at 09:35 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I need a super zoom... but which one? Sony? Lumix? Leica??

Thread seems like it revived by a scammer, but I will add, since its already been bumped, that the FZ1000 was way too short for the purposes I bought it for, with its 400mm equiv reach.

For things like wildlife, birds etc, its going to be very short. I find even the 100-400 Panny on m4/3 which is 800mm equiv. is pretty short for birds.

Heck, I have a Nikon P900, which has a 2000mm equiv and for wildlife I'm often at 2000mm with that and still not filling the frame

I would say that if you don't want a lot of reach, and just want to shoot things like landscapes etc, don't go for a superzoom. Your paying for all the reach, and also a lot of size/weight.

There are lots of great larger sensored compacts on the market like the RX100, LX10 etc

If however you really want tons of reach for birding, zoo trips etc, you'll be happier with something with as much reach as possible.

I had the Panny FZ300, with 600mm equiv, f2.8 too, which is really handy, but out hiking the trails it just was way too little to come close to filling the frame, at its not a good body to crop with its tiny 12meg sensor.

Niikon p900 is a lot of fun though with 2000mm equiv. Its basically a handheld telescope, with a surprisingly good VR system

Jun 27, 2017 at 10:15 PM
jackhuman2015

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I need a super zoom... but which one? Sony? Lumix? Leica??

millsart wrote:
Thread seems like it revived by a scammer, but I will add, since its already been bumped, that the FZ1000 was way too short for the purposes I bought it for, with its 400mm equiv reach.

For things like wildlife, birds etc, its going to be very short. I find even the 100-400 Panny on m4/3 which is 800mm equiv. is pretty short for birds.

Heck, I have a Nikon P900, which has a 2000mm equiv and for wildlife I'm often at 2000mm with that and still not filling the frame

I would say that if you don't want a lot
...Show more
Thank you for your valuable information

Nov 10, 2017 at 09:26 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password