New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · 7d mkII able to use all focus points with kenko 1.4x

mgrabow250

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7d mkII able to use all focus points with kenko 1.4x

I decided to try my Kenko 1.4x converter with my 7d mkII again. When I first got my 7d mkII I tried it with my 100-400 (original) and the Kenko 1.4x converter. While I was able to use all the focus points, I wasn't happy with the results. Autofocus Micoadjustment didn't work correctly and the pictures weren't sharp. Also the 400 5.6 wouldn't work with the converter. I decided to try it again, this time with Autofocus Microadjustment turned off. The converter correctly reports f8 with the 100-400 and all focus points work. There is no hunting as when I tried a taped pin canon 1.4x II. Sometimes it takes a little longer to lock focus but once locked the focus stays locked. Also the exposure is about 1 stop overexposed. For me this doesn't matter because I usually take a picture and check it on the display then use compensation to get the exposure right. The key seems to be to have Autofocus Microadjustment turned off completely and adjust exposure. The Kenko is the Teleplus Pro 300 and mine has a blue dot. I use AI Servo about 99% of the time but I tried a few shots in one shot mode and the camera focused correctly. I was also able to get my 400 5.6 working with the Kenko with Autofocus Microadjustment turned off but haven't tested it in the field yet. Does this mean Canon can give the 7d mkII all focus points at f8 with a firmware update?

Mike

Aug 07, 2016 at 06:22 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7d mkII able to use all focus points with kenko 1.4x

I believe Canon can and I would say there is a 99.9% chance they won't. This will be a big selling point for the 7D3 whenever that arrives. Probably one of its only big selling points other than better low ISO DR. Taping pins on my Canon 1.4III on the 100-400II resulted in horrible AF motor vibration although it did focus and allow me to use all the points. I would never use it because of how bad the AF motor sounded. Good to know the Kenko is better.

Aug 07, 2016 at 06:40 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.