New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Nikon SU-800 as Radio Trigger

mic37
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon SU-800 as Radio Trigger

Nikon SU-800 Wireless Speedlight Commander is unfortunately infrared and does not offer reliable control.
This unit has two TTL cord terminals for groups “A” and “B” which can probably be utilized to convert the infrared SU-800 to a radio commander.
I believe Nikon can design a radio transmitter similar to Nikon WR-A10 Wireless Remote Adapter and extend the ability of the SU-800 to control all modern Nikon speedlights including the SB-5000.
What do you think?

Aug 07, 2016 at 05:18 PM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon SU-800 as Radio Trigger

I have one. Used it once I reckon.
Prefer the cheap yonguno ones. Those things just work great.

Aug 07, 2016 at 07:43 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon SU-800 as Radio Trigger

I have used the su800 with both Nikon and missing flash units with good reliability for over 4 years

Aug 07, 2016 at 08:23 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon SU-800 as Radio Trigger

My thinking is I do NOT want Nikon proprietary radio in my gear. I've kept using the manual CyberSync triggers for all flash and remote camera. My thinking is this:

1. Add-on triggers are cheaper than having Nikon do it.
2. With CyberSync, if one quits working I just stick another one on.
3. I can replace the CyberSyncs if something better comes out. Don't have to replace everything.
4. I shoot multiple brands--Nikon D800E, Chamonix 045n field camera, Nikon SB-25 flash,
White Lightning X3200 monolights. I can make everything work together in any combination.
5. I can use inexpensive SB-25 flash and still have radio triggering. For the $500 just one Nikon
SB-5000 cost, I have TEN of the SB-25.
6. If an SB-25 gets caught out in a sleet storm and fries, I don't cry much.

Kent in SD

Aug 07, 2016 at 08:40 PM
kaplah
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon SU-800 as Radio Trigger

mic37 wrote:
Nikon SU-800 Wireless Speedlight Commander is unfortunately infrared and does not offer reliable control.
This unit has two TTL cord terminals for groups “A” and “B” which can probably be utilized to convert the infrared SU-800 to a radio commander.
I believe Nikon can design a radio transmitter similar to Nikon WR-A10 Wireless Remote Adapter and extend the ability of the SU-800 to control all modern Nikon speedlights including the SB-5000.
What do you think?

It's perfectly reliable indoors. Having said that, I switched to a Debao SU-800 some time ago for the 1/3-stop adjustments in Manual.

The best way to make an SU-800 do RF is RadioPopper PX units.

To date, Nikon's RF is foolishly expensive, at least for me. I'm now trialling Godox products as a result.

Aug 08, 2016 at 05:54 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.