Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Formal Shot lists - Do you put any limit on them?

elkhornsun
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Formal Shot lists - Do you put any limit on them?

I ask for a preliminary shot list from the bride. When I get it I discuss with the bride how long it will take to get all the group shots and I plan on 5 minutes per group to be safe. If the bride provides me with 15 groupings then I let he know that we will need at a bare minimum 75 minutes from the end of the ceremony to when the bridal party will be able to leave to go to the reception location.

I always end up with a shorter list after this discussion. I also strongly advise brides to designate someone to be the group photo wrangler. This is very important as whoever they designate is the person who manages the shot list and while I am photographing one group the wrangler is gathering together the people for the next grouping.

This saves a lot of time and so I and my assistant can work with photographing a group and doing so as efficiently as possible. The wrangler knows most of the people so if someone is missing (and someone nearly always has wandered off) they get the person and it does not interrupt my work with the group.

I try to do as many group shots before the ceremony as possible so if there are aunts and uncles and grandparents I get the bride's side done in advance.

Aug 18, 2016 at 07:56 PM
flash
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Formal Shot lists - Do you put any limit on them?

I split the list in two. Straight after the ceremony is for the really important ones. Family, mostly. We try to keep this to about a dozen shots. Should be all done in 15 minutes. The second lot are for groups of friends, work mates etc. We do these at reception when there's a lull and just use a clean wall. Could be anywhere from none to a hundred.

I like this way because often the couple don't bother with finishing the second set They cull down the groups to what they *really* want rather than the 100 sets they think they want.

Personally, I don't care what I shoot as long as it's what the couple wants. So if we do a hundred family set-ups, so be it. We make our recommendations because we know that anymore than 30 mins of family's after the ceremony and the bride will get a screaming headache and the groom will get the shits.

Gordon

Aug 18, 2016 at 11:01 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.