New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              6       7       end

Archive 2016 · Fuji 24/16 MP Xtrans sensor and XF lens resource discussion

charles.K
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fuji 24/16 MP Xtrans sensor and XF lens resource discussion

With the Xpro2 here and with the release of the XT2 in September, the 24 Xtrans sensor will be more relevant in discussions.

I have also included the previous Xtrans sensors as the discussion is very relevant here.

The intent is to discuss PP techniques/methods, thoughts and observations with the newer 24MP Xtrans sensor. Also how the XF series of lenses perform the Xpro2 and newer XT2.

I am keen on the XT2 as it's AF speed and accuracy will be similar to that of the Sony A6300 but with the XF series of lenses. I do know in Australia alone the Fuji XT2 has a quite a large waiting list already.

It is important to realize that most of us have multiple camera platforms for different photography and each system is well suited for our intended styles of photography.

I have the A7rII and A7s and love both of these camaras.

The Xpro2 is my "fun" down to earth, wanting to pick up photographer's camera. Kudos to Fuji for their ergonomics as the Xpro2 is very intuitive. I opened the box and immediately started taking photos. I have not yet read any instructions as everything is where I think it should be.

I do think the XT2 will be another level above, but I am really enjoying the hybrid OVF with the XF 16, 23 and 56. I forgot just how beneficial the view outside the frame is in composing shots.

The XPro2/XT2 will not replace my A7rII/A7s but it makes photography fun!

Edited on Aug 07, 2016 at 05:06 PM · View previous versions

Aug 06, 2016 at 08:24 PM
rbf_
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fuji 24/16 MP Xtrans sensor and XF lens resource discussion

Sounds like it should be an interesting and informative discussion.

Aug 06, 2016 at 09:10 PM
rbf_
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fuji 24/16 MP Xtrans sensor and XF lens resource discussion

Here are links to some recent and useful tests and comparisons of the most recent sensor in the X-Pro2 with other cameras as well as a discussion on some counterintuitive PP techniques for X-Trans files. It also discusses the current state of X-Trans support with raw converters.

PART 1 – MOIRÉ AND DETAILS
http://www.aevansphoto.com/x-trans_sucks_part_1/

PART 2 – DETAILS SMEARING, NOISE AND LIGHTROOM
http://www.aevansphoto.com/fujis-x-trans-sensor-sucks-part-2/

PART 3 – LIGHTROOM VS THE WORLD
http://www.aevansphoto.com/fujis-x-trans-sensor-sucks-part-3/

Aug 06, 2016 at 09:20 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fuji 24/16 MP Xtrans sensor and XF lens resource discussion

This maybe obvious to everyone who has had Fuji cameras, but here is the latest Fuji FW update page for both the body and lenses:

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/fw_table.html

Also it hard to find in the manual but to check the FW of both the body and lens, just hold the DISP/BACK button while turning on the camera.

Aug 07, 2016 at 08:18 AM
CMcG01
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fuji 24/16 MP Xtrans sensor and XF lens resource discussion

Thanks, I have a new body and lens update I didn't know about

Aug 07, 2016 at 08:22 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fuji 24/16 MP Xtrans sensor and XF lens resource discussion

Thanks for starting this thread Charles. I have the X-T2 on order and I've been wondering how the line-up of XF lenses perform on the new sensor. I would love to hear from you X-Pro2 users your thoughts on this.

Aug 07, 2016 at 08:39 AM
jviegas
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fuji 24/16 MP Xtrans sensor and XF lens resource discussion

With the announced FW v2.0 the XP2 it's supposed to have the same AF as the XT2, plus what they decide to throw in like ISO adjust on the back wheel.

Aug 07, 2016 at 08:43 AM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fuji 24/16 MP Xtrans sensor and XF lens resource discussion

Well, I have owned the 18-55/2.8-4, 18-135, 23/1.4, 56/1.2, and 55-200/3.5-4.8. All are excellent performers in that the 24mp sensor isn't too much for the lenses. The 23mm, 56mm, and 55-200 were all stellar.
The 18-55 was an enigma. I didn't want to like it, but I did. Incredibly useful if only for its speed. The IQ is pretty good, but never got special to me.

I flipped it for the 18-135, which was my favorite family walkaround lens for Sony aps-c. Perfect if kids are doing something and a snapshot or home movie is called for. It being weather resistant makes it even better.

The 55-200 was amazing. That extra speed on the long end (f/4.8 over the typical f/5.6) was awesome. It struck me as one of the most innovative steps fuji could have made. By adding that extra... 1/2 a stop? It makes the lens not quite an overlapping lens with the 18-135. The IQ was excellent. Loved the IQ. I just wanted something longer, so I picked up a MF 300mm prime.

I am desperate for Fuji to make a 70-300mm lens. If they made a 66/1.4, I would be in heaven.

Aug 07, 2016 at 09:42 AM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fuji 24/16 MP Xtrans sensor and XF lens resource discussion

Also, should have mentioned the 23mm and 56mm. Both are real winners in the lineup. Great IQ. I have never been an 85mm equivalent guy, but its a good focal length. The 90/2 is calling my name, though. It would be perfect with the 56mm and 23mm.

Aug 07, 2016 at 09:45 AM
rbf_
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fuji 24/16 MP Xtrans sensor and XF lens resource discussion

jviegas wrote:
With the announced FW v2.0 the XP2 it's supposed to have the same AF as the XT2, plus what they decide to throw in like ISO adjust on the back wheel.

I do hope they do something like that. I really thought the way it worked with the XE1 was fine. I could just hit my fn button and get the menu which allowed me to change the auto ISO setting or pick a particular ISO without taking my eye from the viewfinder. They could add that functionality back to the XP2 ISO menu and I would be happy. I find that fiddling a lot with the ISO dial while I have a SS selected causes me to change the SS inadvertently very often.

Aug 07, 2016 at 10:05 AM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fuji 24/16 MP Xtrans sensor and XF lens resource discussion

There is a very immature part of me that snickers every time I read about the "Fn Button."

Aug 07, 2016 at 11:35 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fuji 24/16 MP Xtrans sensor and XF lens resource discussion

leighton w wrote:
Thanks for starting this thread Charles. I have the X-T2 on order and I've been wondering how the line-up of XF lenses perform on the new sensor. I would love to hear from you X-Pro2 users your thoughts on this.

You are welcome
Out of my four lenses, the XF 16, 23, 56 and 90, the XF 16 and 90 are the later versions, both weatherproof, fast AF and superb IQ. The XF 23 and 56 are great too. My understanding you have a choice of XF 56 in std or APD. The APD is very good, about 50% more expensive and it does not have phase detect with AF.

Make sure if you have the XF 90, the latest FW update improves the speed and stability of the AF.

Another on my radar is the XF 35, but I am not sure whether the f/1.4 or 2. For now I don't need this.

I will look for zooms probably after the release of the XT2 in particular the 50-140/2.8, and 100-400. This was the original intention of having a smaller/lighter long lens kit.

Aug 07, 2016 at 04:04 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fuji 24/16 MP Xtrans sensor and XF lens resource discussion

charles.K wrote:
You are welcome
Out of my four lenses, the XF 16, 23, 56 and 90, the XF 16 and 90 are the later versions, both weatherproof, fast AF and superb IQ. The XF 23 and 56 are great too. My understanding you have a choice of XF 56 in std or APD. The APD is very good, about 50% more expensive and it does not have phase detect with AF.

Make sure if you have the XF 90, the latest FW update improves the speed and stability of the AF.

Another on my radar is the XF 35, but I am
...Show more

Get the 35mm f2, excellent little lens that seems to be glued to my X-T10.

Aug 08, 2016 at 05:14 AM
jviegas
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fuji 24/16 MP Xtrans sensor and XF lens resource discussion

I have both 35 1.4 and 2. The f2 is smaller and has faster AF but I like the IQ of the f1.4 better.

Aug 08, 2016 at 07:41 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fuji 24/16 MP Xtrans sensor and XF lens resource discussion

Thank you Jose and Leighton for your thoughts! I am erring on the XF 35/1.4 but I do know the 35/2 is the latest, weatherproof and fastest AF.

I do think my next lens will be the XF 50-140/2.8

Aug 08, 2016 at 07:49 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fuji 24/16 MP Xtrans sensor and XF lens resource discussion

Lenses I have used or now use include:

14mm f/2.8 — Very small lens with excellent image quality and usually wide enough for most of what I need. I often use it for interiors, though I've used it for some landscapes, too.

23mm f/1.4 — Wonderful image quality and incorporates the sliding ring to switch between MF and AF. The lens is not small, and with a hood mounted if is noticeably larger than the 14mm or the 35mm lenses. Speaking of hoods, the original is a traditional petal style, while a newer (and expensive) metal version is more compact and incorporates a sliding lens cap. (I lost my cap last week... :-) ) As a 35mm equivalent lens this is a good compromise when shooting in somewhat narrow areas.

35mm f/1.4 — Very small and optically excellent lens — even the hood is small. This is the lens I most often have on my XPro2 and had on my XE1.

35mm f/2 — I had a chance to use this for a couple of weeks. It is a fine lens and is even smaller than the f/1.4 lens with the same focal length. If you like a small system and can do without f/1.4, this may be your lens.

60mm f/2.4 macro — Excellent image quality and perhaps as useful as a non-macro lens as a macro. The lens is a bit on the heavy side, and the metal hood is "gigantic." (We replaced it with a much smaller third- party hood.) The macro functionality is somewhat limited — think of it more as a "semi-macro" lens.

18-55m kit lens — This is one fine kit lens. The only real downside might be the small, variable aperture. Optical quality is excellent, and it is a particular deal if it comes with your camera as part of a bundle.

55-200mm zoom — This is a wonderful small and light lens with very good image quality. I liked mine a lot of travel, since it takes up so little space and it is light. Yes, I wrote in the past tense — mine broke.

50-140mm f/2.8 — This is a beautiful lens that provides the same functionality as the Canon/Sony/Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses. A very good lens.

Dan

Corrected as per note below — thanks for catching my errors!

Edited on Aug 08, 2016 at 04:48 PM · View previous versions

Aug 08, 2016 at 10:01 AM
cvrle59
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Fuji 24/16 MP Xtrans sensor and XF lens resource discussion

Dan,
I would say that you need to correct last two items, but it could be something I may not know about...
55-200mm zoom
50-140mm f2.8
Sorry, if I'm wrong..

Aug 08, 2016 at 10:57 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Fuji 24/16 MP Xtrans sensor and XF lens resource discussion

This afternoon I picked up the XF 50-140/2.8 as I was offered an amazing price before the price increase due shortly. This is one superb lens. Not just optically but the fact it is weatherproof, and feels great on the XPro2. I do think the implentation of the OIS on the 50-140 is better than the IBIS on the A7rII and with the ability to shoot at 1/15 sec at 140mm.

This has resolved my need to have an equivalent FF 70-200/2.8 zoom. The other choice was opting with GM 70-200 with my A7rII but for now the GM 70-200 is priced too high in Australia. If this lens was my workhorse, I would have no qualms.

Aug 09, 2016 at 03:30 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Fuji 24/16 MP Xtrans sensor and XF lens resource discussion

charles.K wrote:
This afternoon I picked up the XF 50-140/2.8 as I was offered an amazing price before the price increase due shortly. This is one superb lens. Not just optically but the fact it is weatherproof, and feels great on the XPro2. I do think the implentation of the OIS on the 50-140 is better than the IBIS on the A7rII and with the ability to shoot at 1/15 sec at 140mm.

This has resolved my need to have an equivalent FF 70-200/2.8 zoom. The other choice was opting with GM 70-200 with my A7rII but for now the GM 70-200 is
...Show more

Lens stabilization is definitely more effective than IBIS as the focal length increases.

Nice move getting in before the rumored price increases. I'm bracing for them in the EU too.

The only other thing to pay attention to with zooms-- though mainly if you're interested in video-- is focus breathing. I don't know if the Fuji or Sony in this range focus breath. The Canon 70-200 f/2.8L II is famous for not breathing; it is a staple of videographers because of this (on and off Canons!).

Aug 09, 2016 at 04:21 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Fuji 24/16 MP Xtrans sensor and XF lens resource discussion

justruss wrote:
Lens stabilization is definitely more effective than IBIS as the focal length increases.

Nice move getting in before the rumored price increases. I'm bracing for them in the EU too.

The only other thing to pay attention to with zooms-- though mainly if you're interested in video-- is focus breathing. I don't know if the Fuji or Sony in this range focus breath. The Canon 70-200 f/2.8L II is famous for not breathing; it is a staple of videographers because of this (on and off Canons!).

Thank Russ
The lens stabilization is so much better! Smart move on behalf of Fuji, as not all lenses require OIS. Saves on weight, size and cost and you have options.
For now I do not spend too much with videos, but I am on the waiting list for the XT2 in Brisbane. The XT2 will have an excellent video capabilities so maybe I need to bring myself up to speed. The A7rII is excellent for videos too, as I have used the FE 35/1.4 and GM 85 for some short videos.
I use to have the Canon 70-200/2.8L II and mainly for sports photography. Great lens, but I do prefer the XF 50-140/2.8

Aug 09, 2016 at 04:51 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.